Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricks raft View Post
    Thanks, staying under $20k
    I can't speak to the boats you've mentioned, never owned one. But I did own a 1986 21' Rogers with a 5.7OMC and I'll tell you this, I absolutely loved that boat. For its size it rode great. It also had (2) 35 gallon tanks, so I literally filled it up once or twice a season. One of the best boats I've ever owned. I think I paid $12K for it. But the joker who sold it forgot to tell me the drive had bad gears. Didn't find out until I really drove it good. So that was $3000-3500. But we used the boat for 3-5 years then sold it for $16K. Great boats, but hard to find now.

Quote Originally Posted by Havasuing View Post
    Don't think you mentioned what price range you wanted to stay in -- that makes a big difference. As for the 21 Eagle XP, I'd give it high marks overall, just a little less interior room due to the somewhat narrower beam than some of the others in that size range. Should be a 60ish boat with a good 350 mag. You can't go wrong with a Hallett 210 or even the Vector -- both great boats. Same for the 21 Schiada but you're probably going to pay quite a bit more. If you want to stay in the 21-foot range, keep your eye out for an older 21 Caliber 1 (Cliff put together some nice boats at one time) or the 21 Cobra is good too. If you happen to stumble on to an Eliminator 236 Eagle XP -- buy it! Has the same bottom (running surface) as the 250 Eagle XP (just no extended integrated/Euro swim platform) and is an exceptional step-vee hull (the steps are very small compared to later ventilated bottoms, but it works great).
    when you say older??? 1 see a few in my price range 2004-2006. I was under the impression caliber 1 was a big step down in quality from hallett, no? we all have opinions but from my expierence I would put hallett howard dcb schiada in the top tier of west coast boats, eliminator advantage essexx maybe a step down, ultra (I guess depending on who built/rigged it). then maybe commander caliber1. my criteria would be build quality, ride, functionality, resale value.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricks raft View Post
    when you say older??? 1 see a few in my price range 2004-2006. I was under the impression caliber 1 was a big step down in quality from hallett, no? we all have opinions but from my expierence I would put hallett howard dcb schiada in the top tier of west coast boats, eliminator advantage essexx maybe a step down, ultra (I guess depending on who built/rigged it). then maybe commander caliber1. my criteria would be build quality, ride, functionality, resale value.
    Personally I don't think I would say any of the boats you mentioned are a step down. Especially the first four.

True story. Back in the day I was in the Caliber1 showroom trying my best to work a deal on a beautiful 21' jet boat. Just couldn't get the numbers right and it was the absolute height of the market. I then went to Commander and couldn't get what I wanted there either. Both choices really had nothing to do with quality, meaning at the time I felt they were both the same caliber as any of the others. I ended up going with a used Rogers. Then a couple years later I ordered a brand new DCB 24' Extreme.

Good to know. I know schiada holds it's value, it's like a cult howard very good, hallett good. That's why it's hard to find a great price. When I said a step down, even though I don't buy new( even if I had the money) I don't want to take that kind of hit, I still looked at the manufacturers factory's. When I bought my last 2 boats 6 years and 11 years ago I looked at some of the others and found little things like carpet not glued behind seats, seat bases not completly resigned, wires not tied up were you couldn't see them etc... May not of affected build/hull quality but it made me question it. I've seen some other forums saying "Cliff" built good boats, I assume he was building in 2004-2006?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    I can't speak to the boats you've mentioned, never owned one. But I did own a 1986 21' Rogers with a 5.7OMC and I'll tell you this, I absolutely loved that boat. For its size it rode great. It also had (2) 35 gallon tanks, so I literally filled it up once or twice a season. One of the best boats I've ever owned. I think I paid $12K for it. But the joker who sold it forgot to tell me the drive had bad gears. Didn't find out until I really drove it good. So that was $3000-3500. But we used the boat for 3-5 years then sold it for $16K. Great boats, but hard to find now.
    I agree my 84 bahner 20.5 with volvo 350 144 blower big ol 290 outdrive was not the quality of my hallett, but it was the most fun, 65ish mph, a bullet out of the hole, and toss it around all you wanted and never brake loose with that big Ron hill elephant ear prop.
    We'll my families 75 16' outboard with the first merc v6 200 on the west coast was a blast too.