Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just tried my first batch of beer. Using a mr beer kit. Not sure if I did it right but it's been cold here and it said to keep above 65 degrees. So giving it a couple extra days.

Pretty sure I screwed up. But figured I would try with cheap and easy stuff before upping my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

board member discounts available

www.dynamicairservices.com

Use the code "hotboat" for a 15% discount
    For Lucas oil products visit......www.mysinthetix.com

Quote Originally Posted by riverbound View Post
    I just tried my first batch of beer. Using a mr beer kit. Not sure if I did it right but it's been cold here and it said to keep above 65 degrees. So giving it a couple extra days.

Pretty sure I screwed up. But figured I would try with cheap and easy stuff before upping my game.

Good idea!!

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar

Lager yeast likes MUCHO colder temps, as proof, I used lager yeast in some pizza dough which was refrigerated for 48 hours and it worked like a champ...

Do you know what yeast you are using?

Lager can make a funky sulphur smell for the first phase of fermentation but that will go away... Ale yeast is mucho more sensitive to temps and will need 60+ for sure...

What makes you think that you messed it up? the smell?

You can always kick start the brew with more sugar/nutrient/yeast... How big of a batch do you have going???
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.K034 View Post
    Sounds like fun to try!

HARD cider is yummy / easy to make, and especially good warm if you spike it with something like honey america (wild turkey)... OR everclear...
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    Lager yeast likes MUCHO colder temps, as proof, I used lager yeast in some pizza dough which was refrigerated for 48 hours and it worked like a champ...

Do you know what yeast you are using?

Lager can make a funky sulphur smell for the first phase of fermentation but that will go away... Ale yeast is mucho more sensitive to temps and will need 60+ for sure...

What makes you think that you messed it up? the smell?

You can always kick start the brew with more sugar/nutrient/yeast... How big of a batch do you have going???
    Well that's good the. As I'm trying out a lager. It didn't look right a couple days ago. Bottled it last night and it looked And smelled good. So I might be good.

board member discounts available

www.dynamicairservices.com

Use the code "hotboat" for a 15% discount
    For Lucas oil products visit......www.mysinthetix.com

Well that's good the. As I'm trying out a lager. It didn't look right a couple days ago. Bottled it last night and it looked And smelled good. So I might be good.

Oh, excellente'... It can be cloudy for any number of reasons if thats the case...

I have a gallon of "pseudo pulque" going that was started with lager yeast and was 6 days done, and it was almost as clear as the spring water I started with, yesterday I messed with it and kick started it with more agave nectar/tangerine juice/pulp and its super cloudy-orange but working like mad again... I added the tangerine juice/pulp as a nutrient mainly and not to flava it...

Pulque is kind of a PREcurser to what is distilled into mezcal/tequila I think... Made from blue agave plant parts (i think)...

My boy got me a kit for Christmas, can't wait to start cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    My boy got me a kit for Christmas, can't wait to start cooking
    Thats a cool gift...