Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar

347 SBF R302 build...

As part of my NewYears resolution #2 (getting one of my vintage mustangs on the road) I have to finish an engine build that I started about 1 1/2 yrs ago...

Block is a new old stock FMS R302 siamese bore racing block that can go 4.125 but I am sticking with 4.0 and have the pistons. Ring stack is a metric size (1.5 1.5 3.0) with support rails since the pins are in the oil ring groove slightly. Rods are 5.4" and the pin diameter is .927 (heavy pin option for spray or boosted applications), compression height is 1.090"

THe block comes semi finished in many ways, it had to be line bored, the lifter bores were finished and the cyl bores were around 3.980 if my memory is correct.

Crank is forged 4340 and the rods are Hbeams, both from Eagle...

I had custom pistons made to go with the Aussie 2v cleveland heads (making this what is known as a CLEVOR) which are mucho better for street/mild performance than the 4v close chamber (boss 302) cleveland heads.

There is an off the shelf cam that I am going with to baseline this engine, hydraulic roller, and I will use the best lifter I can afford. Intake and cam may change down the road. I am going to run a pair of TRI-Ys with custom flanges to fit the cleveland heads (already have them).

THis will start it's life with a carb but I am going to weld in the bungs for injectors and sensors that I need to run Mass Air FI.

Goal is to hit 450 ft/lb of grunt over a broad range and 500+ hp.

Trans is a t56 2003 cobra six speed that is getting REgear and upgrade to viper spec parts (double overdrive .5 ratio , better forks/bronze pads, new gears). Rotating assy has to be balanced so I have to get the flywheel/pressure plate/clutch disc/hydraulic throwout/slave.

I have to get the cam plus these two parts to resume forward progress before I can start mock up and make a few little updates on the block before finish hone on the bores...

Pics to follow as I get started again.....

Name:  edl-7129_w.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  QTI-RM-8031_xl.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  57.7 KB
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 12-26-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Wow this sounds like it's gonna be amazing

You lost me at FMS R302,.........................lmao................ ... sounds bad though, any pics of the car, good luck 2MM

Quote Originally Posted by 314joey View Post
    You lost me at FMS R302,.........................lmao................ ... sounds bad though, any pics of the car, good luck 2MM
    I have resigned myself to my vintage mustangs being RAT RODS... The guys that are supposed to do the sheet metal keep putting me for years, literally... I can do it myself BUT dont have the proper shop set up so IM saying EFFFFFittt...

Clean engine bay, new interior and tough driveline...

These cars (old mustangs) were all old mustangs I drove when I was 16,17,18 and then where put into my fathers barn...

I drive a 1989 oxford white cop car notchback that I had an extreme makeover done on two summers ago... The driveline that I built for this notchback is starting to get tired but I really dont feel like switching it to a stick car since I sometimes sit in traffic jams...

WHo knows what will happen after I have one of my OLD mustangs back on the road with a bad ass 347 and a viper spec six speed w/4:11 gears in a nice tight posi...

Name:  IMG_1692[1] crop4.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  94.5 KB

300k + daily driver ^^^^
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 12-29-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

The slugs for a 351C head on a 289/302/331/347 are not your every day off the shelf part (think Boss302 stroker)... EXCEPT at DSS RACING in St Charles Illinois...

As far as I know they are the only folks with a forging press that makes their own slugs, I was there and saw the press in action... 100% american made...

1.5mm, 1.5mm, 3mm ring stack with two .75mm support rails for the oil ring since the pin is well into the oil ring groove... Oil ring groove is 4.5mm wide...

Time to take off the sharp spots to eliminate any potential hot spots and ward off detonation...

5.4" long rods, 3.4" stroke...

Name:  IMG_1122.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1123.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1124.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  50.5 KB