Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

75 Spectra 20' V-Drive

I just bought a 75 Spectra 20' V-Drive a month ago from Greg Fuller's (RIP) father. I didn't know Greg on a personal level but I knew him as one of my river buds (someone I always made sure to say Hi to if I saw him at the river). I had only ridden in his boat a couple times once when I saw him at one of our AVI trips and another when he came to one of my Park Moabi trips that I use to throw a couple times a year. He had invited Lisa and I to join him at Parker a couple times but we never made it down with him to his stomping ground. One thing I will always remember about Greg is his smile, that guy always had a smile on his face.

Name:  Spectra_Gary_Jerry.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  RIP_Greg.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  111.2 KB

Name:  Spectra_Excursion.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  84.6 KB

I didn't really know much about the boat the first time I went for a ride the boat it had an Olds but I knew that Greg bought Danny Donahue's (RIP) old engine and that he had re-rigged the spectra in 2007/2008. I also knew that Greg had done some work to the bottom.

Name:  Gregs_Blow_572.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  87.1 KB

When I got the boat home I measured the following: The strut angle is 7.8* with a 6" drop. The distance between the transom and strut is 25". The cavitation plates are 9.5" from the transom and end 7.25" from gunnels. The distance between the engine and transom is 20". The centerline of the gearbox is 100" from the transom, 4" from the bulk head and about 15" from the deck/dash.

Name:  Gregs_Blown572.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  83.9 KB

Name:  Spectra_Transom1.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  Spectra_CavitationPlates.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  55.1 KB

I also did a little research via the boards and thru his close river friends Jeremie and Tom.

Jim Lange (High Tech Marine) re-rigged the boat and rebuilt the engine around 2008.

I sent Jim a PM and this is the information he gave me. The strut was replaced with a fabricated steel drop thru and strut braces, new rails and mounts, relocated V-drive replacing the original Champion V drive with a rebuilt Casale split case, new A22 prop shaft, new Menkens prop, installed new "adjustable" cav plates (originally had NO plates). I never drove it, but from what I've been told, it handles well. The transmission was built by a guy that used to work for Art Carr. I believe it has a Crower crank, Manley rods and JE pistons. All new Manley Severe Duty valves, new oil pump, rings and bearings.

Steve Brule (Westech Performance) dynoed the engine in 2002 and 2004

I don't think Greg ever dynoed the engine after Jim rebuilt it but the engine was originally owned by Danny Donahue (RIP) and he dynoed the engine at Westech Performance in 2004. I sent Steve Brule an e-mail and he confirmed that the engine made in the high 900 HP range with 6.5lbs of boost.

Gary Williams (Williams Carburetors) built the carbs in 2002

I called Gary and he said the carburetors flowed over 1200.

Bryan Lewandowski (Valley Propeller Service Ventura)

I sent Bryan an e-mail and they still have one of Greg's old props and they are in the process of researching his file.

I also found some of Greg's old posts...

...Mines a 75, heavy lay up ( bottom is 1 3/8" thick) 4 full stringers. blown 572. I re-rigged it, moved the prop 10" forward, reduced the angle by 3 degrees to alleviate the stern lift problem.

...Whoever builds Hi Tech Marines trannys is the bomb.

...Blown 572 I will trust Danny on the HP, Replaced the champion with a 12 degree casale moved forward right up to the bulkhead with 37, reduced propshaft angle, new custom steel strut, blastplate at the stock strut location prop forward about 10" My prop is not correct but its running about mid 90s and get there in a hurry.

...Gps'ed it today... 50 @ 3000, 65 @ 4k... 85 @ 5k. the prop I'm running doesn't carry the bow worth a shit and I didn't want Wheeler to soil my seat so that was it...The way I see it if I can ever get my Menkins prop duplicated I should hit at least 107 at 6k : )

...I rode in Lynch's boat at 113, felt faster than mine, but I wasn't driving... my pile has around 1000 hp, 37's in the box, 11.75 X 16.5 Menkins 3 blade. I can hit 5400 with a little more than half throttle, I've stood on it from there a few times but not about to look at the tach?

...I have a new Menkins 2 blade that was originally a 11 3/4" X 17. I ran it once and it vibrated my boat. I just got it back from Valley Prop service after having it cut down to 11 1/2 X 16 1/2". You are welcome to give it a try. I also have a Kindsvater 3 blade 11 1/2" X 16 1/2" with only last season on it, does not work well on my boat it gets squirrely above 80, I have Brian At VPS working on that one now to try and match a 3 blade Menkins that works perfectly but is about done hour wise. I had no luck getting in touch with Dallas @ Menkins last year that is why I bought the Kindsvater. I would bet you would be happy with the 3 blade Menkins, I am going to try to Get Dallas to duplicate the one I have.
    Last edited by 78Southwind; 03-05-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Makes me sad reading this... missed seeing Greg on the river this summer. He was such a nice guy and always made it a point to stop by our place in Parker to say hi if he knew we were there... and of course to give us a little show in his Spectra! Greg loved his boat! Congrats 78southwind! Take care of his baby!

WESTERNAERO
    Congratulations on the purchase. Seemed like Greg had a lot of friends on the river, I never met him, wish I would have. I'm sure they will be happy to see this boat back out there and to meet it's new owner.

Cool boat....I'm glad it went to a forum member that knew the history

Greg was a good dude. Got to ride in that thing a couple of times in parker before the rebuild. Holy shit! is that a go fast boat. That hull has seen more air time then a pan am 747. Lol. He def drove that mother effer.

Quote Originally Posted by hbchgirl View Post
    Makes me sad reading this... missed seeing Greg on the river this summer. He was such a nice guy and always made it a point to stop by our place in Parker to say hi if he knew we were there... and of course to give us a little show in his Spectra! Greg loved his boat! Congrats 78southwind! Take care of his baby!
    Yep...Greg loved his boat... He use to kid with me saying he would take me for a ride and all it would cost me is $5 (it reminded me of the E-Tickets at Disneyland). It took me a while to decide to put this thread up. But in the end I think Greg would have enjoyed it. Greg was doing some repairs and up-grades to the boat when he passed so I am going to put her back together.

Quote Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Greg was a good dude. Got to ride in that thing a couple of times in parker before the rebuild. Holy shit! is that a go fast boat. That hull has seen more air time then a pan am 747. Lol. He def drove that mother effer.
    Greg was a driver for sure...I don't think the Spectra will see the air time with me driving. However, the boat is built like a tank and can handle it.

I remember seeing Wheelers pictures years ago of Greg getting air. It was so funny it looked like Greg was trying to steer with one hand and hold down his ice chest with the other hand. I think he was still smiling too.
    Last edited by 78Southwind; 09-10-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Congratulations on the purchase. Seemed like Greg had a lot of friends on the river, I never met him, wish I would have. I'm sure they will be happy to see this boat back out there and to meet it's new owner.
    Thanks...I got a lot of support from his dad and friends before I made the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
    Cool boat....I'm glad it went to a forum member that knew the history
    Thanks...

In the near future:

I am going to take it to Lew Larson to have the engine freshened up and then to West Coast Marine Interiors to have them build a back seat, they built the front two buckets. I will put more picture in this thread when that takes place.

For now I will put up some pictures of some of the work Greg did a couple years ago.

In winter of 2010 Greg replaced the floors and bulkhead.
    Name:  Greg_Replacing_Floor.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  84.2 KB

In 2011 Greg finished the Balsa Veneered floors, added bucket seats, Calgo steering, a down pedal and polished clear powder coated the aluminum fuel tanks.
    Name:  Blown5_572.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  19.2 KB

Name:  Spectra_Tanks.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  64.7 KB
    Last edited by 78Southwind; 09-11-2013 at 12:47 AM.