Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help ! with TV and phone

OK here's the story, we're looking to start "snowbirding" here after the first of the year, that means 6 months at LOTO (house) and 6 months down here (condo), we're looking to go mobile, so we've went totally paperless in our life so we don't need an address, now we need TV (some kind of cable) and a phone system that is mobile and can be used in both places (house/condo).

And the condo we're buying doesn't provide either of these medias.

We've been looking into a Sprint phone system, it's totally mobile, you can pick it up and plug it in where you are, it's $20/month, we're also looking at a voice over IP and the Magic Jack plus, am I missing any others.

The cable (TV) is going to a PITA, we don't want to get stuck with paying $100-150 bucks/month at both places when we won't be there but for half of the time, this one is a little more difficult, we know we can get some stuff off my computer, but what I know about it there's not that many programs or that good of reception, we know how to handle the internet.

Any help or info will be appreciated, thanks, Jim (aka joey)

I have one (1) Direct TV account at +/- $100- a month. I've taken one box from home and set it up at the river house (previous owner had Direct so there was a sat dish already there and aimed). Maybe not the best setup but it works for me.

Oh, and while I think of it, do NOT turn off the box when you leave, Direct will deactivate it after its off for a few weeks and you'll have to do the re-boot, call in bullshit.

You can reactivate it online. Takes 2 minutes.

This is a good way to do it. Rent on extra receivers is like six bucks. I did this at the river but finally had to get cable because the Internet sucked there. Also had a box for the Moho. But now I just google chrome it

Ditto on the directv dealio.
    I went with VOiP tele. Plug into any internet and you have the same number anywhere...imagine being in say, Europe and call your family like you're across the street. Specifically, I purchased the Ooma system. About a $100 for the box then taxes only(less than $4) a month from then on. Free unlimited calls anywhere in lower 48. Super cheap LD fees, $10 lasts my Canadian snowbirds all winter, plus.
    The upfront costs were recovered in just a few months over standard landlines. One of the best things I have done.
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement:

We're looking into the Ooma system too, we were wondering how the reception is on it or does it sound like crap.

Do you guys think Direct TV will work using it in Missouri (LOTO) for 6 months and 6 months in SW Florida (1,400 miles apart) or does the two houses have to be close like you guys are using it.

Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by 314joey View Post
    We're looking into the Ooma system too, we were wondering how the reception is on it or does it sound like crap.

Do you guys think Direct TV will work using it in Missouri (LOTO) for 6 months and 6 months in SW Florida (1,400 miles apart) or does the two houses have to be close like you guys are using it.

Thanks for your input.

The limitaion may be that both homes will get the same (local) stations i.e. if you base in MO, when in FL, you'll get MO local news or vice versa if you base in FL.

Yes, you'll probably end up with the local stations of you're home. But I actually liked that.

Look at Magic Jack for the low cost to start only $35.00 per year no extra charges phone goes anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Shock 22 View Post
    Look at Magic Jack for the low cost to start only $35.00 per year no extra charges phone goes anywhere

Does anyone know how the reception is using this type of phone.

We were wanting to have the local channels on the Cable at either house we were at, I guess we'll call the satellite companies and see what they say.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by 314joey; 12-07-2014 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 314joey View Post

Thanks for your input.
    You won't know any differnce. Fax works.
    When I first checked into it there were 3 or 4 options...magic jack, vonage to name a few. Ooma is the only one that offers a no monthly fee phone service (taxes only) once you've purchased the system.
    I have two in my houses in Havasu, both hooked to the basic dsl offered out there. Work without any hickups.
    I've put them in my home, dads and M-I-L's.
    Like I said, best thing I ever did. Go check out their website.
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement: