Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CampbellCarl View Post
    The limitaion may be that both homes will get the same (local) stations i.e. if you base in MO, when in FL, you'll get MO local news or vice versa if you base in FL.
    That's not corrected as stated Carl ---- Direct TV Local channels are broadcast using a "Spot Beam", standard def uses a wider beam, HiDef a much more narrow beam. So let's say if you subscribe to DTV in Cape Coral Florida, then when you're in FL you'll get your local channels. But when you take a receiver to Mo. you won't receive any local channels because you'll be a very long ways from the spot beam --- Visa Versa if you subscribe using a Mo. address. When I take a receiver from San Diego to Havasu I can receive my San Diego standard def channels day and night, BUT due to the more narrow HiDef spot beam I can only receive it during daylight hours --- I'm right on the edge of the beam. A Spot Beam map later confirmed that. LA however has a much larger diameter spot beam, which reaches Havasu better than the SD beams. The best deal would be to contact DTV and tell them you'll be using it in a motorhome, from what I've read then they set it up so you receive the major networks from either New York or LA anywhere in the country.

With dish you can have one account,(1payment), dish installed at both places. Take dvr back and forth just tell dish where your at and they will turn on locals for that area. Doesn't work we'll for weekenders but for snowbirds staying a while it work well. Previous post is correct most locals are spot beamed appx 150 mile window. And the hopper system is better than DTVs genie. And for no extra fees you can watch any live tv or recordings anywhere with a broadband connection.

I was just at my friend house (Snowbird) in Bullhead City which is next to Laughlin, NV for your reference. He spends 5 months a year here and 7 months a year at their primary residence at Table Rock Lake which as you know Jim is in MO.

They have DirecTV and we were just talking about this this morning. Apparently he can turn off the service and move to the other house and get the local channels there and go back and forth between the 2 homes only paying when they are there (wherever that is).

Depending on how good your cell phone reception is at LOTO just use your cell phone there and it can work well as a hot-spot for your computers......if you can get 4G or LTE at LOTO it will be more than fast enough for your needs there for internet or get low cost internet if it's available for your computer and use cell phone for all calls......no need for a land line phone.....at least for us.

I'd recommend you call DirecTV and see if you can work it out.

Livin' the Dream

I can find you a place like this in Havasu Too
    paul@ownhavasu.com
    www.ownhavasu.com
    (928) 846-9611

We talked to Direct TV yesterday, but the guy I got was a know nothing idiot, he wasn't smart enough to comprehend the snowbird model, I'll try again today and hope I get someone whose not mentally challenged....................thanks guys.

I think we've got the phone thing figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by 314joey View Post
    We talked to Direct TV yesterday, but the guy I got was a know nothing idiot, he wasn't smart enough to comprehend the snowbird model, I'll try again today and hope I get someone whose not mentally challenged....................thanks guys.

I think we've got the phone thing figured out.
    You have to tell them the physical address and transfer service between the 2 physical addresses. Once you do that you should be OK and if you prove it is your address (utility bill), they will not charge you to transfer.

If I had more time at DirecTV (work at the corporate office) I could help, but my last day is next week (finally got a job in m home city of San Diego).

Quote Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
    You have to tell them the physical address and transfer service between the 2 physical addresses. Once you do that you should be OK and if you prove it is your address (utility bill), they will not charge you to transfer.

If I had more time at DirecTV (work at the corporate office) I could help, but my last day is next week (finally got a job in m home city of San Diego).
    Damn....you gotta learn how to keep a job there dude

Livin' the Dream

I can find you a place like this in Havasu Too
    paul@ownhavasu.com
    www.ownhavasu.com
    (928) 846-9611

Quote Originally Posted by Singleton View Post

I tried, he was having a hard time understanding why I would want to move every 6 months, I said I'm not moving, we'll own both houses,..................WTF, I told him Dude, it's cold in Missouri in the Winter you knuckelhead.

Thanks for the info, good luck with the new gig.

Any time you can, whether direct or dish, find a local dealer to take care of you. They have to have some knowledge to stay in business for very long( we've been in business 45 yrs doing satellite for 38 yrs. dish has like 8000 customer support operators so like direct, getting someone with knowledge is very hit and miss. Dish absolutely has a plan to transfer service back and forth between 2 addresses. And again hopper system is much better than dtv genie.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul65K View Post
    Damn....you gotta learn how to keep a job there dude
    Hey, be nice
    I got offered a position that I could not say no to (I am moving to a larger company, get paid more and I work from home and get a bonus if I travel more than 7 business days in a 21 day period), so I decided not to wait until the DTV acquisition by AT&T is closed and severs me out.

Now, if I could only get the wife to change her mind on this stupid RV idea

Quote Originally Posted by 314joey View Post
    I tried, he was having a hard time understanding why I would want to move every 6 months, I said I'm not moving, we'll own both houses,..................WTF, I told him Dude, it's cold in Missouri in the Winter you knuckelhead.

Thanks for the info, good luck with the new gig.
    Call and ask for a supervisor and get transferred, dont waste yoru time with the person that answers first. The CS reps are hit and miss, but the supervisors usually know what to do.