Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Elsinore Grand Prix this weekend - Who's going?

My 11 year old son (Nate) and I are "racing" the Elsinore Grand Prix this weekend. We are in Race 10 on Sunday that starts at 8:15 AM. I used quotes around racing as this is not a sanctioned event and there are no points...just bragging rights. My son is racing the 105-200cc Beginner Class, and I'm in the Beginner Open. We are also doing the Thunder's Hot Lap at 7:30 - but that is for pre-running the course. I'm really just going to be chasing my son around the course as my wife is a bit worried about him "racing". Although as races go, these types of fun races do tend to have more injuries due to the level of participation by normally non-racers who think they can race.

Races are all weekend and the Mushman 100 is on Saturday afternoon. Lots of food. And the race course has a mini mx track in the beginning to give the spectators something to watch near the Storm Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyMoly View Post
    My 11 year old son (Nate) and I are "racing" the Elsinore Grand Prix this weekend. We are in Race 10 on Sunday that starts at 8:15 AM. I used quotes around racing as this is not a sanctioned event and there are no points...just bragging rights. My son is racing the 105-200cc Beginner Class, and I'm in the Beginner Open. We are also doing the Thunder's Hot Lap at 7:30 - but that is for pre-running the course. I'm really just going to be chasing my son around the course as my wife is a bit worried about him "racing". Although as races go, these types of fun races do tend to have more injuries due to the level of participation by normally non-racers who think they can race.

Races are all weekend and the Mushman 100 is on Saturday afternoon. Lots of food. And the race course has a mini mx track in the beginning to give the spectators something to watch near the Storm Stadium.
    This is a fun race!

The MX section has been over by the dealership the last several years so that's a significant change. Do they let the 11 year olds ride the entire course or keep them on the kids loop?

Are they still running the ridge?

i'll be there Sat. and Sun.
    My son in law races on Saturday, it's his first time.
    My son races on Sunday and I think it's his 7th or 8th year doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    This is a fun race!

The MX section has been over by the dealership the last several years so that's a significant change. Do they let the 11 year olds ride the entire course or keep them on the kids loop?

Are they still running the ridge?
    Last year they added the mx section to the front, but still had the other mx section by the Chevy dealer, but that has a lot more natural terrain to it. The front section is completely man made like a regular mx track.

Almost all the classes race the entire course except for the minis.

Yes, the ridge is still in play and widowmaker is still a major spot of congestion especially on the first lap.

Has anyone seen what the water crossing is like this year?

Quote Originally Posted by 76Bonneville View Post
    Has anyone seen what the water crossing is like this year?
    The preview is up here http://lakeelsinoregp.com/story/all/...ck-preview-vid

They cut out the mx sections in the video. The water is low, so there is no real water crossing. There is one spot where j you can get a little wet, but you can stay dry if you keep to the right.

The preview is up here http://lakeelsinoregp.com/story/all/...ck-preview-vid

They cut out the mx sections in the video. The water is low, so there is no real water crossing. There is one spot where j you can get a little wet, but you can stay dry if you keep to the right.
    When I raced it several years back the water was actually deeper on the right side. Looks fun! Take some pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    When I raced it several years back the water was actually deeper on the right side. Looks fun! Take some pics!
    Since there is no water at the water crossing, they run the route down in the channel. It hops up the bank on the right for a while, then dips down bank by the water again where you have the option to get wet. The bank is really sandy, and tends to be a point of congestion on the first lap, and the faster guys will go thru the water to get by the congestion. My kid is running a TTR 125. He really is ready for a 85 two stroke, but the funds have been limited. I was going to race my DRZ 400 (punched out to 458) but I picked up a very nice RM 250 (traded for a really nice rifle) and I'll be on that. Took the 250 to the track last week, and it is definitely an adjustment to go back to 2 stroke!

BTW - Your monologues about how great the local tracks are did not go to waste! I finally broke down and took my kid(s) to the track in April (Perris Raceway) and I am in 100% agreement with you! It is so easy to get to, and my fuel gauge on my truck doesn't even move. I have 3 tracks within 15-20 minutes (Perris, Starwest/Lucas, and Elsinore) and we have gone about 10 times this year...almost enough to get a FastPass monthly membership. We've been to Milestone, and have plans to go to all the so cal tracks. Met a ton of great people. We will still do the designated desert trips this year, as that is more of a family trip.

Name:  nate.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  77.1 KB
    My 11 year old son.

Name:  marahmx.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  97.7 KB
    My 9 year old daughter.

The new-to-me whip

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Since there is no water at the water crossing, they run the route down in the channel. It hops up the bank on the right for a while, then dips down bank by the water again where you have the option to get wet. The bank is really sandy, and tends to be a point of congestion on the first lap, and the faster guys will go thru the water to get by the congestion. My kid is running a TTR 125. He really is ready for a 85 two stroke, but the funds have been limited. I was going to race my DRZ 400 (punched out to 458) but I picked up a very nice RM 250 (traded for a really nice rifle) and I'll be on that. Took the 250 to the track last week, and it is definitely an adjustment to go back to 2 stroke!

BTW - Your monologues about how great the local tracks are did not go to waste! I finally broke down and took my kid(s) to the track in April (Perris Raceway) and I am in 100% agreement with you! It is so easy to get to, and my fuel gauge on my truck doesn't even move. I have 3 tracks within 15-20 minutes (Perris, Starwest/Lucas, and Elsinore) and we have gone about 10 times this year...almost enough to get a FastPass monthly membership. We've been to Milestone, and have plans to go to all the so cal tracks. Met a ton of great people. We will still do the designated desert trips this year, as that is more of a family trip.

My 11 year old son.

My 9 year old daughter.

The new-to-me whip
    I wish I still had mine... :(

THis event sounds like a blast!
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

My 11 year old son.

My 9 year old daughter.

The new-to-me whip

That's great to see your eleven year old with his head over the bars mid air like that.

Your bike looks nice too! I think you guys will have a great time! Have you done this race before? When I did it, I was riding 3 to 4 times a week month after month and I felt pretty good doing it. My biggest problem was the lack of a site lap because I didn't want to spend $50 for the unclassified race so when the flag dropped (after I stalled out and got going) I was running unchartered territory which lends itself to being over cautious. lol