Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley Question

Harley Question

I have seriously neglected my bike. 2008 RK Classic. I think its a 1594cc or so, fuel injected. It has literally been sitting for nine months and has not been started for at least 7. The battery is completely dead. And I'm sure the fuel is bad as well. I called the dealer and they didn't tell me what I wanted to hear. Not sure what goes in to a FI flush, but with that and all fluids and belts they want an arm and two legs to attempt to get it running again. They also said something about replacing the tires. If it were a car I'd have no problem risking it, but I'm not so sure I'd risk it on a bike.

What say you Harley or V twin biker types?? Risk it or spend some serious dough?

Not saying what you should do, but what I would do...

1) Drain gas and throw new gas in there
    2) pull spark plug an put a little oil in there to lube the rings
    3) start that focker up and run her. Its only been a few months

Get a new battery(let me know the model number) and do what Games said above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Completely agree with both these guys.......I have let my bike sit sometimes for up to 6 months (not often) over the last 11 years and didn't really even go this far, just topped off the gas and ran the fuck out of it.....never had a problem.....the new Harleys are pretty stout!!

Livin' the Dream

I can find you a place like this in Havasu Too
    paul@ownhavasu.com
    www.ownhavasu.com
    (928) 846-9611

I guess I'm not normal lol
    I refuse to run bad or old gas in my shit. Replacing the gas is easy, but the possibility of deeper issues by running bad gas concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    I refuse to run bad or old gas in my shit. Replacing the gas is easy, but the possibility of deeper issues by running bad gas concerns me.
    You can piss in the old gas and she'll still run

Quote Originally Posted by rivergames View Post
    Not saying what you should do, but what I would do...

1) Drain gas and throw new gas in there
    2) pull spark plug an put a little oil in there to lube the rings
    3) start that focker up and run her. Its only been a few months
    Which spark plug would you pull? The front or back?

The fuel injection systems on the newer Harleys are rather finicky, not like the old carbed models that would damn near run diesel fuel. There's a screen in the pump unit in the tank, but you have to pull the tank apart to get to it. If it gets gummed up, you're screwed and broke down on the side of the road somewhere. With all the additives and nonsense they put in the fuel these days, it breaks down in pretty short order, especially with Summer heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    With a Road King, you're not running all the extras that we bagger types are, but Harleys are pretty temperamental with something other than a Harley battery. Mine had an aftermarket one in it when I bought it and I had a slew of random electrical problems and finally took it to the dealer to diagnose. They promptly swapped the battery out and put a factory battery in, (like $180 for the fucking battery) but all the problems went away and I've not had an issue since then. If I hadn't experienced it on my own I would say throw a battery in and be done. It works for the most part with the older carbed bikes, but I wouldn't screw around and burn something up on the newer ones.

There you go. Having the system flushed out isn't a bad plan, even after only 8 months. As you said, in a car it would be different but on a bike you don't have the luxury of a cage to protect you. I just got done running through mine and I ride it all the time. I pulled it down, repacked the neck bearings, replaced all the wheel bearings, tires, engine, transmission, and primary oil, and put a wrench on every nut and bolt on the bike. I ride on average 1,000 miles per month and it's much easier to spend the money and do preventative work than it is to have something fail on you and put you on the side of the road, or off the road in a ditch, or worse.

I wouldn't risk it, but that's just me. Having a bike is like having a helicopter, all you need is the Jesus nut to fail and you're fucked.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    President and CEO of the I Hate Jordy Fan Club.

Quote Originally Posted by jordy View Post
    Which spark plug would you pull? The front or back?

The fuel injection systems on the newer Harleys are rather finicky, not like the old carbed models that would damn near run diesel fuel. There's a screen in the pump unit in the tank, but you have to pull the tank apart to get to it. If it gets gummed up, you're screwed and broke down on the side of the road somewhere. With all the additives and nonsense they put in the fuel these days, it breaks down in pretty short order, especially with Summer heat.
    Ha very true. I was thinking about my carbed bike in lieu of the the Fuel injected deals

Thanks Jordy. Jesus nut, classic. But I think about that shit when I ride. At 80 (or whatever) on the freeway something goes bad and bad things will happen. The engine isn't that big a deal, it dies it dies. But something lets loose and it could be bad. I had a belt go on my Softail years ago. For 3 seconds I was all over the street. Belt ripped the side mounted tail light off and it hit me in the back. Two people pulled over and asked if I was ok. Scared the shit out of me. Eight months might not seem like a long time. But it hasn't been out of the garage in that time. Hasn't been rolled or started. Hasn't been touched.

Thanks Jordy. Jesus nut, classic. But I think about that shit when I ride. At 80 (or whatever) on the freeway something goes bad and bad things will happen. The engine isn't that big a deal, it dies it dies. But something lets loose and it could be bad. I had a belt go on my Softail years ago. For 3 seconds I was all over the street. Belt ripped the side mounted tail light off and it hit me in the back. Two people pulled over and asked if I was ok. Scared the shit out of me. Eight months might not seem like a long time. But it hasn't been out of the garage in that time. Hasn't been rolled or started. Hasn't been touched.
    The engine dying isn't a big deal unless you're going down the road and it does it suddenly and you end up in bad shape before you can pull the clutch in and you grease your back tire and start sliding around before you can react. If it was me I'd spend the money and have it all gone though.
    President and CEO of the I Hate Jordy Fan Club.