Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Diesel VS. Gas Trucks....

Looking for a new to me truck. Mostly used for towing the boat or a trailer/5th wheel toy box.
    Looking for something that will tow up to a 30-35 ft boat or toy box.

What are the pros and cons of Diesel vs. Gas?
    7.3 Ford/6.6 Duramax or maybe 8.1 chevy gas.....What are your thoughts???
    If you were buying something for general towing purposes from So Cal to the river, what would you buy?

In one word; Cummins.

I've had all three. The 7.3 is a great motor, just keep the oil clean. It's loud and won't get great mileage. Probably around 12 in town. 10ish while towing. There are a lot of aftermarket parts to make more power but you'll need to deal w the tranny if making more than 80hp more than stock. Also the 4r100 is a good trans but I always wished it had another gear. I either had to tow at 55 in third or 75 in OD. I usually picked OD The 8.1 gas was cool and fun to drive but mileage sucked. I swear I could see the gas gauge drop as I drove. It got about 8 around town or on the road. Towing was worse. I have a 6.6 now and like it a lot. It's quiet and smooth. When I first bought it I was seeing around 16.5mpg. Now it's 15 in town. If I didn't have the warranty I'd tune it because I've heard that will improve mileage and you should see around 17-18. I haven't towed w it yet but looking forward to it. The 6 speed trans should be nice.

Hope this helps.

I have an 8.1 and It gets 10 mpg around town and 6-7 towing with 4.11 gear and 6 speed Allison trans. I went gas to avoid spending big bucks on maintenance over the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Skav View Post
    I've had all three. The 7.3 is a great motor, just keep the oil clean. It's loud and won't get great mileage. Probably around 12 in town. 10ish while towing. There are a lot of aftermarket parts to make more power but you'll need to deal w the tranny if making more than 80hp more than stock. Also the 4r100 is a good trans but I always wished it had another gear. I either had to tow at 55 in third or 75 in OD. I usually picked OD The 8.1 gas was cool and fun to drive but mileage sucked. I swear I could see the gas gauge drop as I drove. It got about 8 around town or on the road. Towing was worse. I have a 6.6 now and like it a lot. It's quiet and smooth. When I first bought it I was seeing around 16.5mpg. Now it's 15 in town. If I didn't have the warranty I'd tune it because I've heard that will improve mileage and you should see around 17-18. I haven't towed w it yet but looking forward to it. The 6 speed trans should be nice.

Hope this helps.
    Great info!!! Thanks! 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    I have an 8.1 and It gets 10 mpg around town and 6-7 towing with 4.11 gear and 6 speed Allison trans. I went gas to avoid spending big bucks on maintenance over the long term.
    So the cost of ownership is higher on a diesel? I thought/heard you can get a lot more miles on the engine on a diesel opposed to a gas?

I have a 2000 7.3 PSD ......won't be trading it anytime soon. Towed a 40' 5er with it all stock and with 35's on it no issues.
    Downsized to a 30' 5er and 34's.
    100k miles. No oil leaks anywhere. Original trans, etc. Have boosted the hp with a tuner.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 11-06-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement:

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner1984 View Post
    So the cost of ownership is higher on a diesel?
    Based on what I've heard I would say yes, but like I said this is a long term assessment. You'll likely find people that will have a different view this is just mine based on the world around me. My next door neighbor gave his 2004 Ford to the junk yard after so many problems.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner1984 View Post
    I thought/heard you can get a lot more miles on the engine on a diesel opposed to a gas?
    I think that's true, but at what price? If you're like many and have to buy injectors, injector pumps, head gaskets etc is it worth it. I didn't want to take the chance considering I knew I would have my vehicle 10 years or longer. If you can buy new and keep trading in so your truck is always new then no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    Based on what I've heard I would say yes, but like I said this is a long term assessment. You'll likely find people that will have a different view this is just mine based on the world around me. My next door neighbor gave his 2004 Ford to the junk yard after so many problems.
    I think that's true, but at what price? If you're like many and have to buy injectors, injector pumps, head gaskets etc is it worth it. I didn't want to take the chance considering I knew I would have my vehicle 10 years or longer. If you can buy new and keep trading in so your truck is always new then no worries.
    I am looking for something that is going to last me for the long haul 10+. I do not really drive the truck too much and would quesstimate around 6-8k miles per year.

If your only driving 6-8k a year just get a gas rig.