Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    For real towing I would go diesel bc of the torque. Personally I think they are better in hot weather towing to, but that's just my opinion.
    I have a 2500HD Dmax and it tows my 24' boat easily, of course a gas engine would also. One thing I notice is the 6.5' bed tends to move around some if I get passed, or it's windy. I had the same truck with 8' bed truck and it tracked much better in the above conditions.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

I have an '06 Duramax. I will NEVER go back to gas after owning this truck. It is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. 170,000 miles and all I've ever done is service it and put diesel in. 16 - 17 mpg at 75 - 80 not towing. 12 - 14 towing my boat (twins and lots of wind resistance) and never below 65 no matter what the grade. More power towing than you could need.
    My opinion about the long term maintenance is the opposite of Jerry (sharp shooter). My last truck had the 7.4 and by 120,000 the constant maintenance $$ was the reason I sold it.
    Unless something catastrophic or unforeseen failure happens, I'll be keeping this truck for a long time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    For real towing I would go diesel bc of the torque. Personally I think they are better in hot weather towing to, but that's just my opinion.
    I have a 2500HD Dmax and it tows my 24' boat easily, of course a gas engine would also. One thing I notice is the 6.5' bed tends to move around some if I get passed, or it's windy. I had the same truck with 8' bed truck and it tracked much better in the above conditions.
    CH3NO2
    I do want a Long Bed and 4x4. I have the 6ft bed now and always fill it up whenever we go somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by B&D Marine View Post
    I have an '06 Duramax. I will NEVER go back to gas after owning this truck. It is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. 170,000 miles and all I've ever done is service it and put diesel in. 16 - 17 mpg at 75 - 80 not towing. 12 - 14 towing my boat (twins and lots of wind resistance) and never below 65 no matter what the grade. More power towing than you could need.
    My opinion about the long term maintenance is the opposite of Jerry (sharp shooter). My last truck had the 7.4 and by 120,000 the constant maintenance $$ was the reason I sold it.
    Unless something catastrophic or unforeseen failure happens, I'll be keeping this truck for a long time to come.
    What he said. Love my '05 Duramax. Only complaint is I don't drive it enough.

Have a 02' Duramax with new injectors thrown on last year. She pulls the loaded down enclosed trailer with the cracker inside across the country with ease. Plus she has 249,000+ on her and I still do not worry about cruising across country in her

Best truck I have ever owned.

Lifted, modified and tuned not even 24 hours after leaving the lot. Never had a mechanical issue with it.

Duramax all the way. There is no comparison between gas and diesel. Apples and Oranges.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pulled boat, trailer, buggy and whatever else I threw at it no problem.

Name:  IMG_4779.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  88.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by B&D Marine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by djunkie View Post
    What he said. Love my '05 Duramax. Only complaint is I don't drive it enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by rivergames View Post
    Have a 02' Duramax with new injectors thrown on last year. She pulls the loaded down enclosed trailer with the cracker inside across the country with ease. Plus she has 249,000+ on her and I still do not worry about cruising across country in her
    Quote Originally Posted by niceguyeddie View Post
    Best truck I have ever owned.

Lifted, modified and tuned not even 24 hours after leaving the lot. Never had a mechanical issue with it.

Duramax all the way. There is no comparison between gas and diesel. Apples and Oranges.
    I have an '05 Duramax Crew Cab Dually and it's my third such unit. Nothing changed or repaired on any of the three besides standard servicing and Transynd in the tranny. I suspect I'll have this truck for another decade or two. Oh, I've owned both Ford and Dodge but I'll never purchase anything but the GM with the Duramax/Allison for my needs again.
    The best things in life aren't things!

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner1984 View Post
    So the cost of ownership is higher on a diesel? I thought/heard you can get a lot more miles on the engine on a diesel opposed to a gas?
    Start with the cost of a simple oil change. My diesel takes 15qrts of oil at nearly $5 a qrt plus a $10 fomoco filter.
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement:

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Start with the cost of a simple oil change. My diesel takes 15qrts of oil at nearly $5 a qrt plus a $10 fomoco filter.
    Sounds like the 100 synthetic oil change in the BMW lol
    Does it still get done every 3k miles on a diesel?