Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner1984 View Post
    Sounds like the 100 synthetic oil change in the BMW lol
    Does it still get done every 3k miles on a diesel?
    I do it every 4k.....sometimes 5k if I haven't been doing any heavy towing in that stretch.
    The bonus of doing it frequently is the seals stay healthier. At 100k miles my truck engine is as dry as a popcorn fart.
    I use a oem Motorcraft filter and Shell Rotella diesel oil.
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement:

So in my search, I see a lot of diesels listed with miles in the 150k range. Not too many of them in less than 100k range. I know with gas when buying pre-owned one generally looks for vehicles with less than100k miles. What is the general rule of thumb in regards to mileage when purchasing a used diesel?

So in my search, I see a lot of diesels listed with miles in the 150k range. Not too many of them in less than 100k range. I know with gas when buying pre-owned one generally looks for vehicles with less than100k miles. What is the general rule of thumb in regards to mileage when purchasing a used diesel?
    Speaking for a duramax or 7.3 ford I wouldn't be afraid of 150k miles. Mine just cracked 90k and I think it's just finally getting broke in.

Diesels are not really broken in till 100k. 150k, by what I've seen, people usually sell around that time because anything over 200k they can't get any cash for them. They try to sell while they can to get a decent down payment on a new diesel.

That's what see with my friends that have diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by djunkie View Post
    Speaking for a duramax or 7.3 ford I wouldn't be afraid of 150k miles. Mine just cracked 90k and I think it's just finally getting broke in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbytheboozer View Post
    Diesels are not really broken in till 100k. 150k, by what I've seen, people usually sell around that time because anything over 200k they can't get any cash for them. They try to sell while they can to get a decent down payment on a new diesel.

That's what see with my friends that have diesels.
    I have read the same thing about them being broken in around 100-150k. Wasn't sure how accurate that was.
    I know ford has 2 diesel sizes with the 7.3 being the bigger one. Was told the smaller one is not very good. Does the duramax only come in a 6.6 and if not what size is best if I go with Chevy?

I have read the same thing about them being broken in around 100-150k. Wasn't sure how accurate that was.
    I know ford has 2 diesel sizes with the 7.3 being the bigger one. Was told the smaller one is not very good. Does the duramax only come in a 6.6 and if not what size is best if I go with Chevy?
    Chevy is only a 6.6 and stay away from the Ford 6.0, you might as well burn every dollar you make if you buy that. from about 80k to 100k they fall apart big time

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbytheboozer View Post
    Chevy is only a 6.6 and stay away from the Ford 6.0, you might as well burn every dollar you make if you buy that. from about 80k to 100k they fall apart big time
    Yah I read something similar.
    Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated coming from someone not very mechanically inclined lol

Yah I read something similar.
    Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated coming from someone not very mechanically inclined lol
    No problem. I like ford, don't get me wrong, but the only diesel I'd buy from them is the 7.3L. All my friends and I have had ford diesels in the past, we all changed to the duramax. the best years to buy are 04-06. 07 and all diesels have exhaust filters that clog up after 80k to 100k miles and are about a grand to replace. If you buy 07 and up, swap the exhaust and get a tune on it ASAP

Aside from the obvious what is the benefit of a Dually vs 4 wheels? Can't they tow the same amount of weight if the engine is the same size?

Aside from the obvious what is the benefit of a Dually vs 4 wheels? Can't they tow the same amount of weight if the engine is the same size?
    A Dually will carry more weight plus it's more stable due to wider track width.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2