Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Neither Sheikh Hassan, Bob Teague or Joe Backyard racer really cares about the financial gain of boat racing because there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by bb88 View Post
    Neither Sheikh Hassan, Bob Teague or Joe Backyard racer really cares about the financial gain of boat racing because there is none.
    Understood. But without the venue, the organizers, the fans, there isn't much left.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Understood. But without the venue, the organizers, the fans, there isn't much left.
    You are right.

The truth is, boat races and poker runs are not spectator friendly. I've always thought sponsors need a reality check and realize their events will never be like the Wide World of Sports. Sponsors, vendors, they need to stop dreaming about conquering the world, and instead focus on those people who actually buy their products.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The only two things in life that make it worth livin' - is guitars that tune good, and firm feelin' women -Waylon

Quote Originally Posted by C-2 View Post
    The truth is, boat races and poker runs are not spectator friendly. I've always thought sponsors need a reality check and realize their events will never be like the Wide World of Sports. Sponsors, vendors, they need to stop dreaming about conquering the world, and instead focus on those people who actually buy their products.
    Actually events like the one last weekend in Chandler and a few weeks prior in Havasu are very spectator friendly.

My initial post had to do with those who are primarily behind the scenes or are involved with these races. They actually provide a tremendous amount of content. However, I believe to the wrong audience. Or at least not primarily to the right audience.

Actually events like the one last weekend in Chandler and a few weeks prior in Havasu are very spectator friendly.

My initial post had to do with those who are primarily behind the scenes or are involved with these races. They actually provide a tremendous amount of content. However, I believe to the wrong audience. Or at least not primarily to the right audience.
    I used to promote Desert Storm, I was one of the original staff members promoting it at a time when everybody on the original HotBoat thumbed their noses at it, back when the city didn't want anything to do with it, and the USCG and every other law enforcement agency on the water was trying to shut it down. I left the run because of that reason, it was an event for participants, not spectators.

That said, I still think sponsors and even event organizers are reaching for the stars, not every motorsport can rise to the level of auto racing. Don't fret too much, they'll figure it out some day. Until then, let them continue to drink the social media kool aid. MySpace nearly evaporated overnight, FB and Twitter could do the same.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The only two things in life that make it worth livin' - is guitars that tune good, and firm feelin' women -Waylon

Quote Originally Posted by C-2 View Post
    I used to promote Desert Storm, I was one of the original staff members promoting it at a time when everybody on the original HotBoat thumbed their noses at it, back when the city didn't want anything to do with it, and the USCG and every other law enforcement agency on the water was trying to shut it down. I left the run because of that reason, it was an event for participants, not spectators.

That said, I still think sponsors and even event organizers are reaching for the stars, not every motorsport can rise to the level of auto racing. Don't fret too much, they'll figure it out some day. Until then, let them continue to drink the social media kool aid. MySpace nearly evaporated overnight, FB and Twitter could do the same.
    Huge undertaking. Kudos to you or anyone who takes on a project like that.

We're reporters, not promoters

Just trying to figure out a way to draw more attention to these events so everyone wins.

I feel as though I am a promoter. I promote things and events that I choose to promote. Social media is the best free promotional tool out there IMO. Here's a few examples of the reach I get from Facebook.

Name:  IMG_2391.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  27.4 KBName:  IMG_2392.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  27.1 KBName:  IMG_2393.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  27.6 KBName:  IMG_2394.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  27.5 KB

My picture thread on PB covering the Pirates Cove show has 50,000 views. In the days before social media, we had to mail out news letters or hope for magazine coverage aside from that the only way to promote was paid advertising or word of mouth.

I keep 2 face book pages. One for V-Drive Video Productions and the other for regular use. I don't get carried away with boating content on my personal facebook page because the average friend isn't interested in that stuff.

Nothing wrong with using social media, I don't think I said that. What I'm saying is:

Does your sport or activity relies on a venue?
    Does your sport of activity rely on gate revenue to fund the event? (insurance, safety, etc)
    Does your sport or activity rely on sponsorship or promotion dollars?
    Would your sport or activity be meaningless without spectators or viewers?

Then I would think hard about strictly using social media.

I embellish, but imagine the NFL or NBA going underground and cutting out all of the media outlets completely. Broadcasting strictly on the web for free. It would suck.

Its apparent companies like Lucas Oil believe the sport of boat racing can be something big. Otherwise they wouldn't be involved.

Its a trickle down effect. If there isn't anything at the top to trickle down, then you're trickleless.

good example of like NASCAR has a following in each of their pro series bit the Truck races only has those who follow that racing and the Cup racing is more social but they have been around alot longer than boating sites so on this media there are three basic sites and it seems like two that don't really flow together on the surface, there is no reason not to get along as we are all boaters with ideas and like SS said he has two sites cause there are folks that have no clue of boat ownership and we have no clue of doll house building...