Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    My unqualified thoughts and observations...

You can't convince people to enjoy something they don't necessarily like.

Big dollar sponsors can throw all the money want at creating outstanding coverage, but who is watching it? I'm not and could care less because watching boat drags and boat racing is boring. And, I'm a performance boater.

Not to keep on DS, but years ago it was a blast. Why? Because - you ran in the event, you participated in the shotgun starts, the thrill was there. Now, it's watching a couple of really fast boats go by and 30 seconds later, it's over. Woo hoo!

Watching, or reading about a couple guys getting together and coming up with a plan, then building a motor to race a boat and racing that boat - that's bitchen. I know that's why racers do it and most could give two shiats less about winning, or losing, for those same reasons. Deliver that intimate, close-up experience and you'll have a winner. In that regard, social media is a great platform.

How many people are demanding streaming coverage? A couple of hundred, or tens of thousands?

The big dollar guys are riding on theory and ideologies, not reality. Perhaps the market is already capped. Maybe it's as simpla as everybody needs a job and part of that job is creating an illusion there is this giant, untapped market for boat racing? I mean, hasn't this been a rinse and repeat pattern in offshore racing, for years?

Don't let it bother you.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The only two things in life that make it worth livin' - is guitars that tune good, and firm feelin' women -Waylon

It seems I'm not making myself clear lol

The people who are generating the most content are not posting that content on sites such as this one, they are sharing it primarily with social media.

Sites such as this one rely on traffic. No traffic no advertisers. No advertisers no ad dollars. No ad dollars no sponsorships.

Trickle down.

Doesn't bother me. I do not rely on this site as a source of income, thank god lol.

But I would like to continue to sponsor events. So we shall see

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post

The people who are generating the most content are not posting that content on sites such as this one, they are sharing it primarily with social media.

Sites such as this one rely on traffic. No traffic no advertisers. No advertisers no ad dollars. No ad dollars no sponsorships.

Trickle down.

Doesn't bother me. I do not rely on this site as a source of income, thank god lol.

No, no, I understand that

And, it does bother you. At least a little
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The only two things in life that make it worth livin' - is guitars that tune good, and firm feelin' women -Waylon

Quote Originally Posted by C-2 View Post
    No, no, I understand that

And, it does bother you. At least a little
    Only to the extent that so much more could be done for the sport. As far as lining my pockets with gold, ain't gonna happen. I'm so deep in to this thing I'll never see daylight LOL

Only to the extent that so much more could be done for the sport. As far as lining my pockets with gold, ain't gonna happen. I'm so deep in to this thing I'll never see daylight LOL
    Snorkeler
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement:

Trickle down.

Vic, to be honest I couldn't tell what you were ranting about until this post.
    I thought this was all discussed months ago with another thread. As I remember, I was bashed for saying the site came across as being primarily for a clique group of "friends". Much like a "social media site". I still hold that belief, and I don't think I am alone.
    I respond and post on about 6 websites, some waaaay to technical for most here, but that's what I am into, and so are ALL the other members . On all but one site, I have never met a single member. Makes no difference to me. But I don't have to sift thru a one page website looking for the content I am interested in. No bacon, or Fireball threads.
    Like Shooter said, he posted a thread about boat "gathering" on PB and got 48,000+ views and 340 posts. SS didn't make dime on the post, but I bet Billy, and Pirates Cove and event sponsors, and PB and its sponsors are ecstatic. I take it you are looking for something similar. Good luck!!! Just River Dave, I don't think you get it. Sorry, JMO.

I and many others appreciate your involvement with the SCSC races, and other events. But as it stands right now, come this Thanksgiving, I will be looking on PB for results and pics. Its just easier, faster, I can inter-act with people that know what the fuck they are looking and are truly interested.

On a sticky post you asked what people wanted see. 99% of it non sense. The few that aren't, did you implement the idea. How is that working out as far as posts and views? When was the last time somebody posted in your "new" marine engine forum? And when was the last time that person that made that post has posted since? When was the last time he even logged on? He just happens to be one of the smartest, talented people know.
    Sorry Vic, but this just isn't the "boating" site you may think it is. Its just not "boater" user friendly and there is nobody to blame but the captain of the ship. YOU set the precedent here. YOU made it a FB site. What do you care if its about Fireball, recipes, whats blaring on somebody's radio, or the last pic they took with a phone. Its all traffic isn't it. So what if in time Teague, Status Marine, or Eliminator figure out that this isn't REALLY a boat site. Maybe they are just looking for traffic as well. Regardless if they are playing to shit load of people that don't even own a boat.

I ask myself, if I was going to spend boat related ad dollars, would spend them here? What do you think the answer is, and why?
    Last edited by gn7; 11-04-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Vic, to be honest I couldn't tell what you were ranting about until this post.
    I thought this was all discussed months ago with another thread. As I remember, I was bashed for saying the site came across as being primarily for a clique group of "friends". Much like a "social media site". I still hold that belief, and I don't think I am alone.
    I respond and post on about 6 websites, some waaaay to technical for most here, but that's what I am into, and so are ALL the other members . On all but one site, I have never met a single member. Makes no difference to me. But I don't have to sift thru a one page website looking for the content I am interested in. No bacon, or Fireball threads.
    Like Shooter said, he posted a thread about boat "gathering" on PB and got 48,000+ views and 340 posts. SS didn't make dime on the post, but I bet Billy, and Pirates Cove and event sponsors, and PB and its sponsors are ecstatic. I take it you are looking for something similar. Good luck!!! Just River Dave, I don't think you get it. Sorry, JMO.

I and many others appreciate your involvement with the SCSC races, and other events. But as it stands right now, come this Thanksgiving, I will be looking on PB for results and pics. Its just easier, faster, I can inter-act with people that know what the fuck they are looking and are truly interested.

On a sticky post you asked what people wanted see. 99% of it non sense. The few that aren't, did you implement the idea. How is that working out as far as posts and views? When was the last time somebody posted in your "new" marine engine forum? And when was the last time that person that made that post has posted since? When was the last time he even logged on? He just happens to be one of the smartest, talented people know.
    Sorry Vic, but this just isn't the "boating" site you may think it is. Its just not "boater" user friendly and there is nobody to blame but the captain of the ship. YOU set the precedent here. YOU made it a FB site. What do you care if its about Fireball, recipes, whats blaring on somebody's radio, or the last pic they took with a phone. Its all traffic isn't it. So what if in time Teague, Status Marine, or Eliminator figure out that this isn't REALLY a boat site. Maybe they are just looking for traffic as well. Regardless if they are playing to shit load of people that don't even own a boat.

I ask myself, if I was going to spend boat related ad dollars, would spend them here? What do you think the answer is, and why?
    I appreciate your feedback Bob, I really do. All I can do is try right? But I don't think I ever said I wanted this place to be exclusively a boat racing site. If PB is that site for you, then perfect. I'm happy you found a home.

But you are wrong as far as how many people on this site own boats. And not just race boats Bob. Boats they can take their friends and families out for a ride in. Boats they can go fishing or skiing in. Hell, boats they can cruise to the Florida Keys in. Sorry if that offends you, but there are other types of boats in the boating world.

Have a great day Bob. And thank you for chiming in. It really is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I think you said thank you, not 100% sure about that, but you're welcome Bob. I'll still do the Regatta too. Some people are grateful, but can't please em all

look how long PB and RD have been around and when RD was starting up for awhile his traffic was like it is here if memory serves me right so hang in there you are pretty new and yes there are some pesky posters like Grads but when not screwing up bring boating or boating content to the site(just have to put a mod button next to their name)so just give it time and gn7 not all boaters are racer and some are just getting their feet wet so be kind and teach instead of push away..........

But you are wrong as far as how many people on this site own boats. And not just race boats Bob. Boats they can take their friends and families out for a ride in. Boats they can go fishing or skiing in. Hell, boats they can cruise to the Florida Keys in. Sorry if that offends you, but there are other types of boats in the boating world.

Have a great day Bob. And thank you for chiming in. It really is appreciated
    I'm not a myopic as you like to think Vic.
    Not everything is a race boat, even if it faster than a Bayliner. Not even v drive only. Not all the engines are blown either. I'm more rounded than you might image Vic.
    Name:  rayson 27.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  53.8 KB
    Name:  540.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  61.0 KB
    Last edited by gn7; 11-04-2014 at 02:16 PM.