Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ceviche

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    WOW, that looks good... Even with the extra lemon/lime juice mine was still sweet, presumably from all of the cucumber... I would think the mango would make it very sweet...

I had to scale mine WAYYYYYY back so I didn't end up with a 5 gallon bucket...

I think that using cocktail sauce (catsup and pure ground horseradish) would be good, is that what you used in this version???
    The first two pics are Mango salsa:

5 Mangos
    2-3 Red or Sweet Onions
    6-8 Roma or vine-ripned Tomatos, good Tomatos are essential on a salsa
    i decent sized Jicama diced fairly small
    Cilantro
    Salt, pepper and lemon/lime juice..some sugar of if you really want to get a party started.

That's the no-heat version, if you want some spice then I would throw in some finely chopped Jalapeno.

----------------

The last two pics are the Shrimp cocktail, not too good of a pic since you can't see the crab and clams.

On the ketchup vs. cocktail sauce...

You have to remember, the cocktail is based off of the type of Shrimp Cocktail you get on the beach in Mexico, just not as loose or as Tomato-based. The real cocktails taste more like a Clamato or Tomato juice, than the tang in the version I make. That's why I stick with catsup, it tastes better than Tomato Paste or sauce.

I once tried the cocktail sauce and a) it cost a fortune, b) changed the taste, not in a bad way, but the built-in horse radish/cocktail sauce tang was different.

I season all my Mexican foods with lemon and lime, even my Carne Asada. Sometimes I even marinate it in Mikes Hard Lemonade, and when you cook it, it the meat stays red. It always tastes great, but others prefer the straight chile powder based Carne.

So yeah, final seasoning of the cocktail - you have some wiggle room depending upon your preference.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The only two things in life that make it worth livin' - is guitars that tune good, and firm feelin' women -Waylon

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C-2 View Post
    The first two pics are Mango salsa:

5 Mangos
    2-3 Red or Sweet Onions
    6-8 Roma or vine-ripned Tomatos, good Tomatos are essential on a salsa
    i decent sized Jicama diced fairly small
    Cilantro
    Salt, pepper and lemon/lime juice..some sugar of if you really want to get a party started.

That's the no-heat version, if you want some spice then I would throw in some finely chopped Jalapeno.

----------------

The last two pics are the Shrimp cocktail, not too good of a pic since you can't see the crab and clams.

On the ketchup vs. cocktail sauce...

You have to remember, the cocktail is based off of the type of Shrimp Cocktail you get on the beach in Mexico, just not as loose or as Tomato-based. The real cocktails taste more like a Clamato or Tomato juice, than the tang in the version I make. That's why I stick with catsup, it tastes better than Tomato Paste or sauce.

I once tried the cocktail sauce and a) it cost a fortune, b) changed the taste, not in a bad way, but the built-in horse radish/cocktail sauce tang was different.

I season all my Mexican foods with lemon and lime, even my Carne Asada. Sometimes I even marinate it in Mikes Hard Lemonade, and when you cook it, it the meat stays red. It always tastes great, but others prefer the straight chile powder based Carne.

So yeah, final seasoning of the cocktail - you have some wiggle room depending upon your preference.

^^^ sounds like a Michoacan/Morelia-Style Fruit Salad Gazpacho, the traditional one has mango/jicama

I used to have a direct pipeline on horseradish root and would grind my own/mix my own cocktail sauce (heintz catsup & fresh ground horseradish root/vinegar/sugar)... My brain is automatically programmed to go to traditional U.S. cocktail sauce when I have something with shrimp that is why I threw the cocktail sauce thing out there...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 05-28-2015 at 05:03 PM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

OK, I am absolutely making this TODAY... I was too tired and it was too late when I left the office last night to get the ingredients and make it...

Anyone here have a suggestion for additions/enhancements to this dish "Aguachile"???

Shrimp, Serrano peppers, cilantro, lemon juice, cucumber, sweet onion, salt, soy sauce...

Name:  aguachile 1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  74.9 KB
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

OK, I am absolutely making this TODAY... I was too tired and it was too late when I left the office last night to get the ingredients and make it...

Anyone here have a suggestion for additions/enhancements to this dish "Aguachile"???

Shrimp, Serrano peppers, cilantro, lemon juice, cucumber, sweet onion, salt, soy sauce...

Name:  aguachile 1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  74.9 KB
    Skip the soy sauce and add lime. Maybe use red onions in lieu of sweet onions and chop the shrimp if you're eating them with chips. If you have access to Persian cucumbers they're way tastier.

Sent from my newly renovated Batcave using TapaStalk!

Go Team Brady!

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Skip the soy sauce and add lime. Maybe use red onions in lieu of sweet onions and chop the shrimp if you're eating them with chips. If you have access to Persian cucumbers they're way tastier.

Go Team Brady!
    I will take this under advisement I do like red onion howeeeeeeeever, we have some killer SWEET onions here and with the heat of the Serano peppers, I thought a cool sweet onion may be the ticket... AND I don't wanna have onion breath from red onions all day...

I do get the english/asian type cucumbers rather than our typical pickling type (straight 8)

I will take this under advisement I do like red onion howeeeeeeeever, we have some killer SWEET onions here and with the heat of the Serano peppers, I thought a cool sweet onion may be the ticket... AND I don't wanna have onion breath from red onions all day...

I do get the english/asian type cucumbers rather than our typical pickling type (straight 8)
    Try Persian cucumbers not pickling cucumbers. Totally different.

Go Team Brady!

Go Team Brady!
    thats what I said I DO use... i dont use the pickling type

thats what I said I DO use... i dont use the pickling type
    You said English/Asian...um neither of those are Persian lol

Go Team Brady!

Go Team Brady!
    the smooth ones... i use the smooth ones, not the ones that are prickly...

You said English/Asian...um neither of those are Persian lol

Go Team Brady!
    Persia doesnt have an exclusive on the OTHER kind... i grew up with them being called ENGLISH... and Asia is kinda close to Persia true?

we always called the pickle type a "straight eight"...

http://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/cooking-questions/difference-persian-english-cucumbers
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 09-17-2015 at 10:06 AM.