Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Brenda told me they figured it out. He did exactly what you said about the zero.
    Found this...
    http://www.corestandards.org/Math/

Oath Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Skav View Post
    My son is in 6th grade and has failed the last 3 tests because I helped him review. I show him how to do the problem, double check the answer and he understands it. Next day he comes home all upset because he missed 12 out of 15 problems on the test. I check and the answers are right. He just didn't get the answer the new way. It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen. It takes 5 minutes to do a problem that should take 1 minute. The thing that really chaps me is that I asked his teacher to call/email me to discuss how I can help him study better. That was two weeks ago and still no contact.

I'm frustrated because I feel like I can't help him study anymore. It doesn't logically make sense to solve the problem the way cc is asking yo to solve it.

Total waste of time and our kids are really going to suffer for it.
    X2, sixth grade here too and my personal favorite is when they ask to "explain" the math answer. Wait, I thought that's what the answer does? That's when you realize as a parent, your "help" is useless since we only know "dumb" math.

I was in a computer programming class last semester and the instructor says "Come on guys, this is the same math you learned in sixth grade". Uh, not 37 years ago (math).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The only two things in life that make it worth livin' - is guitars that tune good, and firm feelin' women -Waylon

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbytheboozer View Post
    Wtf? Who is the fucktard that made this shit up?
    OBAMA

broadcasting live from the LBC

Quote Originally Posted by LB247XS View Post
    OBAMA

broadcasting live from the LBC
    Jesus. :(

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDenton View Post
    Brenda told me they figured it out. He did exactly what you said about the zero.
    Found this...
    http://www.corestandards.org/Math/

Oath Keeper
    I'm sure you still think of him like this, awsome videos... Dylan is such a beautiful young man, praise him for his achievements (honor roll), I regret not doing that more with Brandon... :(

-In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

My wife has been teaching for 30 years, and says it's a bunch of crap.
    She has seen this thinking outside the box theories of teaching/learning before.
    There are a few kids that will do well with it, but most need to be taught the traditional way.

Check this kid out
    Last edited by 76Bonneville; 10-09-2014 at 07:44 PM.

The Truth Hurts

You want to see how are kids are doing against the world in Math Reading And Science look at these rankings. When common core is done with this country we will have hit rock bottom!!!

http://www.businessinsider.com/pisa-rankings-2013-12

Thanks Bruce. Yea, he's a whole lot smarter than I ever was. He'll catch on to this and make it his bitch. But as a father that wants nothing more than for him to succeed, I worry.

Oath Keeper

I listen to a lot of AM talk radio on my long commute home and heard Oklahoma is the first state to drop common core due to diminishing grades. By the looks of it, several other states are going to be dropping it as well.
    The fed took away federal funding to schools in Oklahoma after it was dropped. Problem is, the funding that was taken away has been in place long before common core was in place. This will eventually end up in the courts to get resolved.
    Bottom line it's a POS and u think we are going to see more stated dropping common core.

This thread is starting to smell political to me............Just sayin'

Livin' the Dream

I can find you a place like this in Havasu Too
    paul@ownhavasu.com
    www.ownhavasu.com
    (928) 846-9611