Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Luciferous word of the day

Years ago, and I do means years I worked with a guy who was intellectually challenged. I'm not talking quantum physics or The Copenhagen Interpretation or anything close. Just basic sometimes everyday Webster Dictionary English.

Now keep in mind this is before the world wide web (yes I realize I'm dating myself) so Googling basic things like "conflict of Interest" wasn't an option back then. Sure 99.9% of society today knows what "conflict of interest" means, but back then it wasn't a term that could easily be looked up.

So, and much to his credit, this guy started a little daily chalk board game/exercise. I don't remember what we called it, something like "word of the day". Honestly looking back I think he devised this game for his personal benefit, but on occasion it helped us all.

So everyday one of us (he normally put up more words than the rest of us lol) would write down a word, usually a not often used word, with its meaning or a question mark. Guess who used the question mark the most? lol. If it had a question mark and you knew the meaning you wrote it down and kept track of the question marks you answered. This was very important as on Friday, the guy who answered the most question marks was treated to beer by everyone else. For me personally, this was the very incentive I needed to master the English Language LOL. More often than not, I drank for free on Fridays.

This is a little spin on that game. Luciferous words are not common words. They can be obscure, archaic, abandoned, or evocative. So this game has a little twist. And now that we have Google and other search engines that will find these words in 2 nanoseconds, you can't just give the meaning. You have to use the word in a sentence that makes sense, sorta lol.

We'll do a little test run to see how it goes. But if you like it, I'm thinking of doing it monthly and giving away a Hotboat.com T shirt, coozies, and stickers to the person who answers the most words in a months time.

Anyone can add a word, and anyone can answer. You just can't answer your own question. This will be the honor system. Meaning I am not going to keep track, you are. General consensus will determine the winner. Any words relating to water and/or boating is worth two points

I'll start:

Muttonhead

Muttonhead : stupid, ignorant person.

What muttonhead doesn't know what conflict of interest means.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Perfect, that's 1 point for Eli.

Next word anyone?

Is this a call out thread?

Quote Originally Posted by HolyMoly View Post
    Is this a call out thread?
    Bahahaha

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Magnanimous
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

And I'm guessing "without google" too.

Quote Originally Posted by 314joey View Post
    And I'm guessing "without google" too.
    Google is mandatory for some of these. So feel free

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1411415174535.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  31.6 KB

This guy

Demivierge:

LOL