Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traeger Coolaid

Good point. I have a Natural Gas build in BBQ and I love not having to worry about getting Propane or charcoal or anything in I want to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    so

a bag of wood pellets run about 25 bucks, how long will that bag of pellets last, lets say for cooking 3 hours at a time... OR how much do you need to cook a full size turkey or four whole chickens???

Any idea of how many hours per bag of pellets at a typical 275 degree cook temp???

Im trying to get a grasp of how much I will spend per year on pellets...
    I have the Jr. So you won't fit 4 whole chickens anyway. I can get a bag of pellets for about $15-$20. My guess would be I get about 20 hrs worth of smoking and cooking per bag.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner1984 View Post
    Good point. I have a Natural Gas build in BBQ and I love not having to worry about getting Propane or charcoal or anything in I want to use it.
    Yea but can you smoke tri tip and ribs on your BBQ as easy has a Traeger. Doesn't hurt to have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby V View Post
    Yea but can you smoke tri tip and ribs on your BBQ as easy has a Traeger. Doesn't hurt to have both.
    Good point. I'm really considering it. Have only heard good things. Do you think the medium version is worth the extra 200?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby V View Post
    I have the Jr. So you won't fit 4 whole chickens anyway. I can get a bag of pellets for about $15-$20. My guess would be I get about 20 hrs worth of smoking and cooking per bag.
    That's about right but burn rate also depends on temp settings.

For propane users I'm thinking it's almost equal cost and usable fuel/total bbq's but I still have yet to burn a full bag of pellets to get an idea.

I saw the pellets at Costco a week or so back. They were in stock, not part of a "Road Show". Didn't really pay attention to price or size of bag, do remember it was hickory. I'll check next time I'm there.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner1984 View Post
    Good point. I'm really considering it. Have only heard good things. Do you think the medium version is worth the extra 200?
    The JR. is good for cooking for 2 or so people. Anymore then that you should go up a unit.

Also the bigger units come with more options to add to it.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    I will be building my own folks, and NOT using the smoke daddy pellet pro...

For the price of a JR, I think I will just build my own set up from scratch using the same controller that Traeger uses... I need more space than a JR has, MUCH more space I think...

BUT Not this much space...

Name:  $_57.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  37.0 KB
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    I will be building my own folks, and NOT using the smoke daddy pellet pro...

For the price of a JR, I think I will just build my own set up from scratch using the same controller that Traeger uses... I need more space than a JR has, MUCH more space I think...

BUT Not this much space...

Name:  $_57.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  37.0 KB
    Do I see a smoker build thread in the near future?

My brother in law wholesales Traeger units. We just tried the Traeger pizza over this last weekend and the pizza's turned out awesome. PM me if you want his info. He sells them for less than you can get them at Costco. I compared the pricing.
    CA mortgage services. www.wmrloans.com