Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Beautiful boat UD, very impressive. Thanks for posting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    Here it is on the hose.

UD

Sounds perfect! Thanks for sharing and thanks for the driving offer.

Cam is Engel GHR-236/242 on 110 lobe centers (vs standard 114)

Its advanced a bit - I think 4 degrees.

Some of the younger builders like Bob Madera and Alexi seem to have even sweeter combos that make even more HP, but I don't know if id get 10 years out of them or what more I would have paid upfront.

Dick was a treasure trove of info but was as hard headed as a mule and rightfully so.

Uncle Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cam is Engel GHR-236/242 on 110 lobe centers (vs standard 114)

Its advanced a bit - I think 4 degrees.

Some of the younger builders like Bob Madera and Alexi seem to have even sweeter combos that make even more HP, but I don't know if id get 10 years out of them or what more I would have paid upfront.

Dick was a treasure trove of info but was as hard headed as a mule and rightfully so.

Uncle Dave
    I have a pretty decent piece in my chevelle, car not boat so its a totally different world. True street car though, easy to drive and no need to pull timing or any tricks to get it to go around town. Drive over 50 miles each way to the track at 4k with the gears and am good to go.

Chevy 400 block
    splayed (sp) mains and girdle
    421 CID
    6.2" rods
    JE pistons @ 10:1

Heads: World Products sportsman II's 200cc runner, 72cc chamber (all when stock)
    now has 2.05" intake and 1.64" exhaust
    Bowl work and some other "stuff"

cam: solid roller
    lift: 601/625 and then a 1.6 rocker on that
    duration: 258/262 @ 50
    lobe centers: 108 degress if memory serves me correctly

Hoping to have some dyno numbers in the winter for it finally, getting ready to run True Street in the NMCA for the experience.

Whats your estimate on what its going to make ?

UD

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar

UD
    I wager the # will be real close to yours except that with the solid roller he may pick up 5-7% on the HP side and the peak HP will be about 750 RPM above yours, he may even make less torque my 2 cents...
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    I wager the # will be real close to yours except that with the solid roller he may pick up 5-7% on the HP side and the peak HP will be about 750 RPM above yours, he may even make less torque my 2 cents...
    That would be a cool trick. 5-7% more power with only 750 rpm AND less peak torque.

When I get time I will write WHY UD's back is already pretty much up against the wall. Let me just start by saying that Dick Gazan(RIP) was no slouch when it came to spinning wrenches and he was a pump gas guru.

UD
    Guessing HP is a dangerous game where everyone will want to take a shot at you, but I am hoping for something in your neighborhood. It will be on a chassis dyno so we should know both ways. Pretty sure all the results are going to do is make me want some AFR's for it and kick the compression up since the aluminum head will be more forgiving obviously. Either way, if I build anything again, it will be LS based. Too much cool stuff and big numbers with very streetable personalities out there to not make the switch over.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    GN7, I will stick with my guess... I'm assuming Uncle Daves CR isnt more than 11:1 if he is getting by on pump premium... Uncle have has a decent spec. hydraulic roller and Chevelle has a nice smallish solid roller...

5% more HP would be 25 +/- and Daves cam/heads/carb set up is done by 5600RPM...

I wager that Chevelles cam/heads are done by maybe 6300RPM +/- 100 RPM for his peak HP... With the same or maybe less torque...

Uncle Daves combo makes 510 TQ at 4400RPM

Hope all is well my friend...

NOTE, Chevelle: I don't mean "smallish" in a bad way at all and I would prolly pick something with the same manners if I was going to drop the $$$ for a solid roller...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 09-09-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Good stuff here.