Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spike morelli View Post
    Thanks Uncle Dave. Mr. Probz....the story, well, it's fairly straightforward, if not long. Three unknown, regular guys, back in '65, partnered to build a boat to go racing. Tom Morgan, Bill Clark, and driver Buzz Coats took a trailer out from under another boat, bought a new Stevens regular production ski boat hull, bought two 283's punched out to 301 each, engineered how to couple them, tune them, bought a '53 Cadillac Hearse to tow it with....and took it to Ski- Land with the high hopes of doing something. The Mortician did so well first time out, it jumped class twice. Soon, they put two 327's in it and took the unblown fuel title from , then reigning champ Mr. T, a Buck Smith hull. "Mortician" dominated the Unblown Flat class from 1965 to 1967, setting 5 world records, until Buzz Coats died in '67. Bill Clark went on to crew cheif another boat, and Tom Morgan took custody of the boat, only to retire it and garage it. Historically, it's in all the publications of it's day, has a pure pedigree as a legitimate N.D.B.A. original condition record holding drag boat. It did 132.24. it is original right down to it's prop, and the trailer still carries it's original license plate. My job is to take care of it and bring back any mechanical issues that requires attention.....but nothing will be changed from how it was. The hydro was driven and built ( except for the engine, Dave Zeuschel built that )by a man named Bill Dirksing, who was a friend of my family's. "Too Much" never held any record, and, quite frankly, was bested constantly by the more slippery Sanger and Hallett hydros in it's class of Blown gas hydro. It's claim to fame, besides being a flagship for Stevens Boat Co in all their ads, is that, of ALL of the blown gas hydros registered with the N.D.B.A in '66-'67, "Too Much" is the only one that still remains from that roster. I have two more Stevens flats.....one is currently being restored as my ski boat, albeit a component correct '65 ski boat. the other, a '63 awaits in the wings....
    That's pretty cool. So I imagine the engines are direct coupled. How do you start them??

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410190633.340851.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  111.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410190688.557478.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  50.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410190729.452434.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  53.6 KBmine (blue) and my daughters ( yellow) boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Thanks Uncle Dave. Mr. Probz....the story, well, it's fairly straightforward, if not long. Three unknown, regular guys, back in '65, partnered to build a boat to go racing. Tom Morgan, Bill Clark, and driver Buzz Coats took a trailer out from under another boat, bought a new Stevens regular production ski boat hull, bought two 283's punched out to 301 each, engineered how to couple them, tune them, bought a '53 Cadillac Hearse to tow it with....and took it to Ski- Land with the high hopes of doing something. The Mortician did so well first time out, it jumped class twice. Soon, they put two 327's in it and took the unblown fuel title from , then reigning champ Mr. T, a Buck Smith hull. "Mortician" dominated the Unblown Flat class from 1965 to 1967, setting 5 world records, until Buzz Coats died in '67. Bill Clark went on to crew cheif another boat, and Tom Morgan took custody of the boat, only to retire it and garage it. Historically, it's in all the publications of it's day, has a pure pedigree as a legitimate N.D.B.A. original condition record holding drag boat. It did 132.24. it is original right down to it's prop, and the trailer still carries it's original license plate. My job is to take care of it and bring back any mechanical issues that requires attention.....but nothing will be changed from how it was. The hydro was driven and built ( except for the engine, Dave Zeuschel built that )by a man named Bill Dirksing, who was a friend of my family's. "Too Much" never held any record, and, quite frankly, was bested constantly by the more slippery Sanger and Hallett hydros in it's class of Blown gas hydro. It's claim to fame, besides being a flagship for Stevens Boat Co in all their ads, is that, of ALL of the blown gas hydros registered with the N.D.B.A in '66-'67, "Too Much" is the only one that still remains from that roster. I have two more Stevens flats.....one is currently being restored as my ski boat, albeit a component correct '65 ski boat. the other, a '63 awaits in the wings....
    Outstanding sir...

TY for the detail... P.S. the tow rig ain't too bad as well...

Name:  spike stang.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  spike small.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  78.3 KB
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

There she is Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410214587.247832.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  58.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Bottom View Post

The rock-bottom mobile. Cool

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Bottom View Post

Very nice looking set up

-In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Probz View Post
    That's pretty cool. So I imagine the engines are direct coupled. How do you start them??
    The engines are linked together with a large, four row chain coupler, that was special made just for this boat, designed by Bill Clark. The forward most engine has had it's crank snout cut off, and a much larger Chrysler sized snout left-hand threaded and welded onto it, for strength. A stock 327 Chevy crank snout would snap off easily if you linked it to another engine. The special drive piece is double keyed, ( like a blower hub would be ). I even inherited the very blueprints that the coupler was made from! There's two of everything in the set-up, two batteries, two starters, save for the fuel pump...there's only one Hilborn pump and it's on the rear engine, and both sets of injectors have been flowed by Hilborn to operate from one custom pump. Because of there being only one pump, you cannot start each engine by itself, they both operate as one. There are two mag switches, and two starter switches ( starters you throw at the same time). Killing the engines is done like any other injected engine by pulling the single fuel shut-off. The only hassle is squirting ( priming ) all 16 injectors just prior to starting. Both engines run 13 to 1 compression pistons, Engle solid cams, steel rods, small journal Corvette steel cranks held by stock two-bolt mains with "straps". Ignition is Hunt Vertex, Hilborn Injection, heads by Valley Head Service, fuel is 30% nitro/70% methanol. There's 45% in the box and the original Stellings two blade underneath. The rudder was shortened back in '66. Have I gotten too technical?

[QUOTE=2manymustangs;126052]Outstanding sir...

TY for the detail... P.S. the tow rig ain't too bad as well...

Thanks TMM! That old Mach 1 has been very good to me.

Have I gotten too technical?
    Nope.

I got a boner reading this and appreciate the attention to detail.

UD