Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Huntington Beach, CA/ Lake Havasu City, AZ

Season ending luck

So a couple of weeks ago Karen and I took the kids to Havasu for the first time together. This was the first time the kids have been on the boat in 2-3 years as we'll. we had an awesome day playing in the channel, going to Friendly Island and jumping off the rock, and a trip up to Topoc where the kids played Marco Polo in the pool. Everything was going great until we started heading back to Windows. Just north of the main sandbar I opened it up a little and ran up to 95mph for a few seconds. As I started backing off the throttle the motor stopped. Opened up the engine hatch and didn't see anything alarming. Cranked the motor over but she wouldn't start so we called Vessel Assist since it was dusk and we didn't want to be floating down river at dark. So we're floating there engine hatch up, girl friend and young kids in the boat watching at least 10 boats fly by us and never give us a second look. We started float over into the tullies north of the sandbar when group of guys in a 30' Eliminator Eagle saw us and offered to tow us back to Windors. I politely said thank you but if you could just pull us to the sandbar Vessel Assist is on their way. These guys were so cool, not only did they tow us to the sandbar they waited for VA to arrive before they took off. I offered them some cash but all they said was "pay it forward" and if you have a beer that would be great. I handed over enough beer to fill their cooler but all they wanted one beer a piece.

Now for the carnage. I drop the boat off at Menace Marine to have Dustin look at it. He goes through his analysis and believes I broke a timing chain and he's going to pull the motor. Not the best scenario but definitely not the worst. So he pulls the beast out of the boat and starts dismantling the motor. As he turns the motor over to pull the pan Dustin hears parts falling around inside the motor, NOT A GOOD SIGN. It takes him a hour to get the pan off because of the mangled screen, when he finally pulls the heads and turns the motor over the piston and rod fall out. A mutual friend post pics on FB before Dustin has a chance to make the dreaded call, I actually believe Dustin was sick to his stomach to see what had happened. So I get him on the phone and he is consoling me as if I lost a family member, I ask is it really as bad as it looks? His response was, "Myke I haven't seen something this bad in a long time". He goes on to tell me, you have a broken rod that ended up breaking the block and sending the piston into the head which lodge a valve in to the cam and broke the cam which then broke the timing chain. Ok Dustin, what Is salvageable for the new motor? How does the valve covers, intake and accessories sound? I say expensive... So the entire long block is junk? Dustin's response, yes! Wow, this is much worse than we expected...

So that was the end to my season. It is going to take me some time to rebuild after the last build. Getting reemed by a local shop before I ended up at Dustin's door has left me too exhausted to continue on this season. So now I am in the market for a good long block that will handle 1000+ hp.

Enjoy the rest of your summer HotBoaters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and smokin, shouting "Holy Shit ...What A Ride!"

Sorry to hear Myke. That sucks!!

Sent from somewhere on the water
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    Seriously fuck a duck

Never a good feeling...Sorry to hear. :(
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement:

Sorry to hear that, but you are in good hands with Dustin now.

Ah man that's sickening alight. I'd be interested to know what happened, if he can tell.

This is the second similar story I've heard in as many weeks. My little Teague has close to 300hrs on it. Everytime I rev it up its like I'm waiting for that shoe to fall. I'm expecting it to happen soon. Not looking forward to it, but I know its inevitable.

Sorry man.

GRADS
    That sucks Myke. How many hours were on the motor? I thought you just got it running? Who built the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Ah man that's sickening alight. I'd be interested to know what happened, if he can tell.

This is the second similar story I've heard in as many weeks. My little Teague has close to 300hrs on it. Everytime I rev it up its like I'm waiting for that shoe to fall. I'm expecting it to happen soon. Not looking forward to it, but I know its inevitable.

Sorry man.
    That's why Teague motors are so expensive. They last.

Thanks guys, the hour meter says 18.6 and that is with 4 tuning trips to the lake. So I'd say there is maybe 15 hours on the motor and 3 oil changes.

Dustin and Rob believe there was a lubrication issue or I spun a main bearing that block the oil from getting to a rod. All I know is it sucks. We went out Memorial weekend and she ran perfect and was fast as hell. I mean she ran up to 105 with no effort and I didn't push her at all.

I was recommended to a drag boat engine builder but I won't be going back. Not sure when the problem originated, at build or at my local reem shop, but like Vic says he has 300hrs on his Teague and Dustin has a bunch of worry free hours on his monster of a motor so those would be the only two that will ever touch my boat again.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and smokin, shouting "Holy Shit ...What A Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by djunkie View Post
    That's why Teague motors are so expensive. They last.
    You are so right. I know a bunch of people that have Teague motors and they are strong and fast. The same goes with Dustin as well, everyone that has one of his motors have not had any issues.

Just sucks I have nothing to sell or re-use for the next motor.

Quote Originally Posted by She's Mine View Post
    Thanks guys, the hour meter says 18.6 and that is with 4 tuning trips to the lake. So I'd say there is maybe 15 hours on the motor and 3 oil changes.

Dustin and Rob believe there was a lubrication issue or I spun a main bearing that block the oil from getting to a rod. All I know is it sucks. We went out Memorial weekend and she ran perfect and was fast as hell. I mean she ran up to 105 with no effort and I didn't push her at all.

I was recommended to a drag boat engine builder but I won't be going back. Not sure when the problem originated, at build or at my local reem shop, but like Vic says he has 300hrs on his Teague and Dustin has a bunch of worry free hours on his monster of a motor so those would be the only two that will ever touch my boat again.

I can't tell without seeing it,, prior to this last post of yours I was thinking it would not have started with the rod. There are lots of people that can properly assemble a marine engine. I have seen and heard of failures from some of the better known shops as well, including riding in a boat in the 2002 Catalina Ski Race that had a freshly rebuilt engine fail in the first mile due to something really simple. I have been very fortunate that I have had really good success with my engines lasting for many years.