Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bluejay Bay Then and Now

I was uploading some old photos from Lake Arrowhead. Back in the 60s almost whole side of the lake was not developed.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405141741.265397.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  123.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405141754.798172.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  166.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405141764.715103.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  106.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405141810.465720.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  38.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of very nice flattys on Arrowhead in the 1960s and some really good boat racers emerged from there (Mike Wallace, Butch Peterson, Steve Stenton, etc.). Sad that the ski club is almost non-existant today -- the lake is now filled with pontoons and "roll-bar" boats.....where did we go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by *JackBurton* View Post
    I was uploading some old photos from Lake Arrowhead. Back in the 60s almost whole side of the lake was not developed.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405141741.265397.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  123.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405141754.798172.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  166.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405141764.715103.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  106.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405141810.465720.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  38.1 KB

Pictures are great! Were they reproduced from prints?

CH3N02
    CH3NO2

I believe they were slides that were digitally transferred over.

Jack Burton, I gotta tell you, those are nice photos of Arrowhead. The boat is fantastic....is it a Patterson? Kinda looks like one. It even has 426 Chrysler power with the dual quad set up, top of the line with the wood deck too. That boat would knock 'em dead today! I've always had a dream of someday having a house on a lake or river,.....It'll never happen, sadly, but a guy can dream.

It's a howard - I believe 66 or 67. The hemi was built by Keith Black. My dad owned it and race it up there for a couple years. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405225139.244158.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  157.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Havasuing View Post
    A lot of very nice flattys on Arrowhead in the 1960s and some really good boat racers emerged from there (Mike Wallace, Butch Peterson, Steve Stenton, etc.). Sad that the ski club is almost non-existant today -- the lake is now filled with pontoons and "roll-bar" boats.....where did we go wrong?
    Sad to say but I'd have to agree with you on this. However, There is a few really nice boats up here. The Schiada in those pics included. I think that's Auggibendoggie(spelling?) from RDP driving that one. I think this is the biggest population of Schiada boats, 21RC's specifically,on one lake still. From Rados's, to Gringo, Blown summer, Mystique(24' out drive), 025's TT 21RC, Companes(spelling?) and mine of corse

As for the ski club, it is truly sad. I remember every weekend they would be lining up down at the marina. Some of the best skiers in the word come from this lake. The Windt(spelling?) family is still up here, and you'll see them every now an again. The youngest boy Trevor said he'd teach my boy how to ski, and ski fast... I'd love to help get the racing back on track up here.

Thanks for this post and pics. Spent all my summers during the 50's, 60's into the mid 70's boating and skiing on Arrowhead. Proud member of the original "Lakeside Trailer park Crew"
    In the mid-60s bought a place way back up in the north bay, but after one summer sold it and returned to "The Park", it was just flat out more fun.
    Certainly recognize the island in the background of a couple of these pics, and yes I also recall seeing that beautiful Patterson. First flatty ride was in the original "Tiny Tim", I was hooked but couldn't convince dad, he kept muttering something about his "Bad Back". So I just kept up my seasonal sanding practice on our various mahogany Chris Crafts. Lost all our numerous boxes of vintage Arrowhead pics and 8mm reels in the 07' San Diego wildfire, what a shame, I'd give anything to have those back.
    What I can't seem to recall from the 60's are the Hydro Hoists, but then there's a few things I don't remember so good from the 60's ---- WHOOO HOOOO !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Welldigger00 View Post
    Sad to say but I'd have to agree with you on this. However, There is a few really nice boats up here. The Schiada in those pics included. I think that's Auggibendoggie(spelling?) from RDP driving that one. I think this is the biggest population of Schiada boats, 21RC's specifically,on one lake still. From Rados's, to Gringo, Blown summer, Mystique(24' out drive), 025's TT 21RC, Companes(spelling?) and mine of corse

As for the ski club, it is truly sad. I remember every weekend they would be lining up down at the marina. Some of the best skiers in the word come from this lake. The Windt(spelling?) family is still up here, and you'll see them every now an again. The youngest boy Trevor said he'd teach my boy how to ski, and ski fast... I'd love to help get the racing back on track up here.
    ABD - JackBurton same person. I should get off my ass and make them both the same.

Both sides of my family were active in the Ski club before I was born. They did most of their racing in their Chris-Craft. My dad bought that Howard in the 60s and raced a couple years. He used to pull his brother but I don't think they did very well. The first time they raced he didn't understand what plates were for nor how to turn a flatbottom very well. So instead of turning with all the other racers they went the long route around the tower(and through the spectators.)

When I was little I could only remember one or two flatbottoms left. Some of the fastest boats were 19ft Schiada/Howards, 20ft Schiada, and the little Halletts. Howard boats had a showroom at the marina back then. After some time, the 19' and 20' gave way to the 21RC. My favorite time of the day was right before race time. I would sit on the end of the dock and watch the boats head to the dam. Two docks over was Sod Buster, a few more down the way was Millers 20, and A-80 was down by my uncle's dock.

All that is gone, while the 210 Halletts are the closet thing to the old Howard day cruiser, it very depressing watching a other boats come through the bay overloaded with people and almost unable to make the speed limit. Driving around the judge's stand is even worse as most people slow to a crawl near that spot. I don't mind the party barges but I hate the wakeboard boats. On the plus side, I believe that there are more kids on the lake these days. Watching the little Boston Whalers cruise the lake really puts a smile on my face. My daughter is two years away form driving and her grandfather is already working on a woody outboard for her.

I'm glad you guys liked the photos.

BTW - Lake Patrol tattled on me to my parents this weekend. I'm 38, it's my boat yet Lake Patrol took the time to pull up to my parents to say someone was on the dock using the boat. While my parents laughed it off and thanked them for keeping an eye on the boat... I felt like I was 15 again.