Anyone know about pool tables?

Im looking at getting a pool table for the garage.
    Not a serious player by any means, just want something to play around on.

Going to get something from CL for around $500.
    Thinking of getting an 8x4.

Question:
    Does anyone know the big difference of a 1 piece slate table compared to a 3 piece slate table?
    Am I going to be able to see a difference if I am just looking for a table to have fun on and not play seriously?

Im looking at this one.
    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/spo/4524150569.html

I offered $300 since I need to pay to get it moved and that is another $200.
    We will see what they say.

I have one with all the hardware that is already taken apart that is for sale for $300.00 You would have to have somebody put it together. Located in Temecula. Will post pictures tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Monster View Post
    I have one with all the hardware that is already taken apart that is for sale for $300.00 You would have to have somebody put it together. Located in Temecula. Will post pictures tonight.
    Ok cool.

up until about 3 months ago, my family had a full size table in our house since I was 11. Ours was a 3 pc 1' slate deal. The few times we moved it I was glad it was 3pc. It does take some extra time to level and fill the seams on the 3pc, but way more user friendly. If you have the room for a full size I highly recommend it. It makes you that much better when you do end up playing on a 4x8 table!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    up until about 3 months ago, my family had a full size table in our house since I was 11. Ours was a 3 pc 1' slate deal. The few times we moved it I was glad it was 3pc. It does take some extra time to level and fill the seams on the 3pc, but way more user friendly. If you have the room for a full size I highly recommend it. It makes you that much better when you do end up playing on a 4x8 table!
    So the full size or regulation size is 9X5 correct? That wont fit into the garage but I do want the 8x4 table. Think that one is the most common.
    Not a fan of the small bar size tables.

9'x 4 1/2' is a tournament table. Pool halls normally have 4x8 and bars and stuff have coin operated ones 4x8, sometimes you will find smaller ones than 4x8 but they are normally plywood shit tables.

Also, try and avoid a table that has "super bumpers". Some mfg's are now making tables with some special bumpers that really bounce the ball off and it requires you to play a totally different way. Most tables you play on outside of home will have "dead" bumpers so it's best to play on something similar on a regular basis.

Lastly, try to get a table that uses real felt. I have played on some tables where it's covered in a synthetic type of cloth and it plays really fast. Putting english on the cue ball is very hard on this type of table too. You need the teeth of the felt for the ball to "grab".

I have one in my living room and enjoy having it, but I can't say I'm all that knowledgable about them. The only thing I recommend is to pay someone that puts them together as a profession help set you up. The money spent is well worth it IMO. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403126845.943190.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  59.6 KB

Appreciate the info guys...

Brian, sounds like you have played a few games! lol
    Name:  shark.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  27.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Music to my Ears View Post
    I have one in my living room and enjoy having it, but I can't say I'm all that knowledgable about them. The only thing I recommend is to pay someone that puts them together as a profession help set you up. The money spent is well worth it IMO. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403126845.943190.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  59.6 KB
    Nice table. Did the set up guys rip the shit out of your carpet? Or is that another story?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Nice table. Did the set up guys rip the shit out of your carpet? Or is that another story?
    Thanks! Sadly, another story. My boxer has some serious anxiety when we're gone! She's a work in progress at this point.