Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Left hand turn law???

Ok, so my son has his permit and me and the wife are driving with him from school and practice whenever we can.

The other day, I told him that he could turn into any lane from a single left hand turn.

Next time he drove w my wife, she yelled at him for doing it.

Obviously this started a debate as to who is right.

So.... I'm right, right?

That's what I thought. But then again even if there are 3 left hand turn lanes I turn in to any one I want as long as I'm out in front

Ha. I told him that if it's a single lht lane, he can pick any lane. Where's the popo?

Ok. I think I'm right. Just want to confirm before I go to the wifey

This is from the VCB.

Left Turns: The approach for a left turn shall be made as far as practicable to the left-hand edge of the extreme left-hand lane or portion of the roadway lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel as the turning vehicle. When turning at an intersection, the left turn shall not be made before entering the intersection (i.e., don't cut the corners short). When making a left turn onto an intersection, turn into lanes made for travel in your direction and not into the lane for on-coming vehicles expect:
    Upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in one direction which terminates at an intersecting highway that accommodates traffic in both directions. In this instance, the driver in a middle lane may turn left from either the middle lane or the far left-hand lane and into any lane lawfully available upon the roadway being entered.

I am pretty sure you can turn into any lane from a single left turn lane. How else would you be able to turn into a business on the corner? I remember my drivers training instructor going over this many years ago...I am 96% sure he said you can turn into any lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    "I Love Haters" - Its not a frame of mind for us...IT'S A LIFE STYLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbound View Post
    God himself owns a twin turbo Schiada V-Drive.

From the CA DMV Drivers Handbook.

1. Left turn from a two-way street. Start the turn in the left lane closest to the middle of the street. Complete the turn, if safe, in either lane of the cross street (shown by the arrows). Use the center left turn lane if one is available. A left turn may be made from the other lane, if permitted by signs or arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    "I Love Haters" - Its not a frame of mind for us...IT'S A LIFE STYLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbound View Post
    God himself owns a twin turbo Schiada V-Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerThat99 View Post
    I am pretty sure you can turn into any lane from a single left turn lane. How else would you be able to turn into a business on the corner? I remember my drivers training instructor going over this many years ago...I am 96% sure he said you can turn into any lane.
    That's what I remember too. She's only 4 yrs younger than me, but sometimes it seems like 20

Quote Originally Posted by RogerThat99 View Post
    From the CA DMV Drivers Handbook.

1. Left turn from a two-way street. Start the turn in the left lane closest to the middle of the street. Complete the turn, if safe, in either lane of the cross street (shown by the arrows). Use the center left turn lane if one is available. A left turn may be made from the other lane, if permitted by signs or arrows.

She's going down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skav View Post
    She's going down!!!
    Dont you just love knowing your right when it comes to stuff like this? I know I do and my girl hates to admit it lol.

Just tell her accelerate hard in the turns and close your eyes