Gauges acting strange

Hey everyone, new guy here. Question: when the ignition is kicked on the voltmeter goes all the way to the left, and the engine temp gauge all the way to the right when the boat is either hot or cold, running or not. The tach, oil pressure and hourmeter gauges all work fine. Any ideas on bad gauges or bad wiring? The wiring all goes to a junction in the back (the most common one that is normally seen). Thanks a bunch.

Welcome to www.hotboat.com

On the VM, left is zero? And temp, right is max temp, correct?

By your comment it does seem that they move from one area to another, true?

I assume the boat runs fine? no battery or temperature issues?

If so, I would assume bad meters and/or possibly a bad temp sender or bad wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post

If so, I would assume bad meters and/or possibly a bad temp sender or bad wiring.
    Well that certainly narrows it down....I guess it could be a burned out light bulb in the gauge as that's the only other thing left

Livin' the Dream

I can find you a place like this in Havasu Too
    paul@ownhavasu.com
    www.ownhavasu.com
    (928) 846-9611

Quote Originally Posted by Paul65K View Post
    Well that certainly narrows it down....I guess it could be a burned out light bulb in the gauge as that's the only other thing left
    I'm in preparation for Friday the 13th. I'm going to stay indoors all day and lay on the floor and drink and eat from plastic cups and paper plates.

Quote Originally Posted by BountyHunter5150 View Post
    Hey everyone, new guy here. Question: when the ignition is kicked on the voltmeter goes all the way to the left, and the engine temp gauge all the way to the right when the boat is either hot or cold, running or not. The tach, oil pressure and hourmeter gauges all work fine. Any ideas on bad gauges or bad wiring? The wiring all goes to a junction in the back (the most common one that is normally seen). Thanks a bunch.
    Sounds like a wiring issue. More than likely there is some voltage on the ground side. Try jumper wires direct to power and ground on the gauge and see if it changes anything. With the other power and ground wires removed from the gauge of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electrical can be tricky especially over the internet but it shouldn't be to hard to track it down. Remember to keep it simple. Isolate systems in order to pin down the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post

On the VM, left is zero? And temp, right is max temp, correct?

By your comment it does seem that they move from one area to another, true?

I assume the boat runs fine? no battery or temperature issues?

A "yes" to everything that you asked. So, should I start at the gauge itself, or that junction in the back of the boat where all the wires run to? I notice that a couple wires are on the same pole. Would this affect it? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BountyHunter5150 View Post
    A "yes" to everything that you asked. So, should I start at the gauge itself, or that junction in the back of the boat where all the wires run to? I notice that a couple wires are on the same pole. Would this affect it? Thanks.
    If you have a DVM or meter I would put it on the VM terminals and see what it reads.

On the temp gauge hard to say. Maybe a bad ground.