Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Writing Your Own Divorce...

Who's done it?

I have started to write up my own divorce, and see I am just a dummy construction worker that knows absolutely nothing about the legal system period. I never even been to jail. I've been to court 2 times, once for Jury Duty, and once from a lawsuit against Cingular Wireless. I lost that, even though I shouldn't have, but I was 21 at the time and didn't know anything back then either.

Anyhow...I have a relatively easy divorce, there is no debt, no property, no new assets no nothing. I just want to file a simple Joint Uncontested Divorce. We both go on about our business and move on with life. She has already moved out, but I don't know where she lives, or her phone number. However I want to get 99% of the paperwork together, and either meet up with her and have her fill in the blanks, or have it delivered to her work and let her fill in the blanks, and then back to me where I can file with the courts and be done with it.

Does any of this make sense, or am I in for a rude awakening? I haven't make any dumb decisions like cancel health insurance on here, because I know I could be on the hook for that, but I know I want this over so in case she screws up I am no longer resposable for her actions....

Any advice, anyone know how to point me in the right direction?

We've only been married 1 1/2 years if this helps any...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordie View Post
    Who's done it?

I have started to write up my own divorce, and see I am just a dummy construction worker that knows absolutely nothing about the legal system period. I never even been to jail. I've been to court 2 times, once for Jury Duty, and once from a lawsuit against Cingular Wireless. I lost that, even though I shouldn't have, but I was 21 at the time and didn't know anything back then either.

Anyhow...I have a relatively easy divorce, there is no debt, no property, no new assets no nothing. I just want to file a simple Joint Uncontested Divorce. We both go on about our business and move on with life. She has already moved out, but I don't know where she lives, or her phone number. However I want to get 99% of the paperwork together, and either meet up with her and have her fill in the blanks, or have it delivered to her work and let her fill in the blanks, and then back to me where I can file with the courts and be done with it.

Does any of this make sense, or am I in for a rude awakening? I haven't make any dumb decisions like cancel health insurance on here, because I know I could be on the hook for that, but I know I want this over so in case she screws up I am no longer resposable for her actions....

Any advice, anyone know how to point me in the right direction?

We've only been married 1 1/2 years if this helps any...
    Contact a local paralegal service; preferably one who has good Yelp reviews or is registered with the BBB (so that they are accountable to somebody)

Do your research, make sure they are licensed and have a good track record.

They will help you fill out the forms and file them for you; and coach you on what to say if you need to make any court appearance.

Reach out to your wife's family, have them contact her and relay your message about a proposed amicable split.

Good luck.

She won't talk to her family, they already reach out to me to see if I know what's going on!

Maybe legalzoom.com???
    I always hear their commercials on the radio...Its worth a look.

Send a letter to her work marked "Personal and Confidential". Tell her of your intent and ask for her cooperation and a current address. Giver her a period of time to think about it, but have a cut-off date.
    If she refuses, then have her served at work with papers for an uncontested dissolution.
    If she refuses to cooperate, that's fine, she will still be obligated to respond to the court within a certain number of days.
    If she doesn't respond within that time frame, the court will enter a default judgment against her.
    You might need to appear at a default hearing to "prove up" your case (basically, prove the statements you made in the paperwork are correct and true.)

That's where using a paralegal service could be helpful - they can guide you thru the process.

Quote Originally Posted by C-2 View Post
    Send a letter to her work marked "Personal and Confidential". Tell her of your intent and ask for her cooperation and a current address. Giver her a period of time to think about it, but have a cut-off date.
    If she refuses, then have her served at work with papers for an uncontested dissolution.
    If she refuses to cooperate, that's fine, she will still be obligated to respond to the court within a certain number of days.
    If she doesn't respond within that time frame, the court will enter a default judgment against her.
    You might need to appear at a default hearing to "prove up" your case (basically, prove the statements you made in the paperwork are correct and true.)

That's where using a paralegal service could be helpful - they can guide you thru the process.
    Are you saying just a formal letter of intent for divorce to her work? I know this divorce is an easy one, but she likes to run from her problems...it is just in her nature, she did this to cause the divorce...I know she will not disclose where she is living, so everything will have to be served to her at work

Quote Originally Posted by Nordie View Post
    Are you saying just a formal letter of intent for divorce to her work? I know this divorce is an easy one, but she likes to run from her problems...it is just in her nature, she did this to cause the divorce...I know she will not disclose where she is living, so everything will have to be served to her at work
    If you know she will not cooperate, don't send a letter.
    Unless NV has a specific requirement to know the respondent's residence address, have her served at work with the dissolution package.
    Since serving her could be be a one-time shot, make sure everything is correct.
    A paralegal service should be able to give you some options. It's money well spent because if you screw up the paperwork, and she quits because she knows that's the only address you have for her - then you will have to hire a PI to find her, serve her again etc.
    Remember, after she has been served, the ball is in her court. Either she responds and litigates, or she ignores it and you are granted a dissolution because she failed to respond (a default judgment).
    Most court's have comprehensive self-help websites too.

What a mess, I just want this to be over with, she doesn't take care of shit, just runs and dissapears...I know that serving her at work of my intent she will not quit her job, she needs that job...

I had a paralegal friend give me all the necessary paperwork, I filled mine out, the ex filled hers out. Our divorce wasn't as easy as yours should be, we had property and business together but I insisted on no attorneys(she didn't listen and got fucked), oh well, finally got her to pull her head out and move forward, my divorce took ALONG time but it's been final for nearly 2 months now. If your ex is being uncooperative file your papers and let the paralegal and court deal with serving her.

Good luck. Although you don't need an attorney at this time, when she talks to her friends and they tell her that she needs to milk the situation, things could change. Make sure you're as nice as possible so that doesn't happen.