Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for Powell

Tips for Powell

Well this year we cancelled our plans for LOTO and opted for Lake Powell.

Already booked a home so that is covered.

It is a family trip with kids, in-laws and bro & sister with their kids.

Two boats 32DW and a 2875 Bennington Tritoon...thing is huge mini aircraft carrier.

Any tips or caveats would be appreciated.

Take strong anchors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KAP View Post

Two boats 32DW and a 2875 Bennington Tritoon...thing is huge mini aircraft carrier.

A lot of good Lake Powell info at Wayne's Words Message Boards
    http://www.wayneswords.com/index.php...nena&Itemid=27

It gets stormy in the afternoon. Never really lasts more than an hour but when you see it roll in find a place to hide.

Watch the water for submerged rocks and shallow ground. There are a few random dangers.

Bring lots of money for boat gas. It is the best lake I have ever been to. You will want to explore non stop. So many cool land and water features to see.

And if you have a marine radio make sure you bring it. The lake is huge and if you break down in one of the longer fingers or out of the main part of the lake it may be awhile before someone happens to find you.

Quote Originally Posted by KAP View Post

are you staying near Wahweap ?

first off get a Map----a must have for this place

https://www.utah.com/maps/lakepowell/#lakepowellmaps
    mark the map as you take pics easier to remember where you were
    other than that explore !!!!! more to see than you have time
    watch out for the tour boat in the main channel part of lake
    big giant rollers in a narrow area think the locals called it "Maytag" you get the meaning

1st most important have fun
    2nd don't pass fuel docks without topping off

Good info - keep it coming. Thinking about doing the lake Powell poker run in Sept

Good call on the fuel docks. If you find fuel for sale buy it.
    Man I'm jealous now. I love Powell.

We just got back, spent the weekend out there and had a great time. I have a buddy that has a house boat at Antelope Marina. We leave the house boat in the marina and just do day runs. A couple of the must see's, Antelope and Navajo arms, we do Navajo a couple of time each trip. And of course Dangling Rope marina, best ice cream in the world! It's about 48 miles up lake and the only place to get fuel between Antelope Marina and Bullfrog Marina. Definitely get a map if you never been, it makes it a lot easier and you won't get lost. Plus it shows you all the cool little hidden places. Every time we go out we find something we've never seen before. Pack a lunch, once you go out your not going to want to come back in for awhile. Both Marina's Wahwep and Antelope have floating stores and restaurants. Which make it nice if you want to get out of the sun and grab a bite and a drink. Powell is an exploring lake, you be doing a lot of seat time and seeing things at will amaze you. It's impossible to put Powell into words. You have to experience it, then you'll understand why everyone loves it.

Helluva experience there years ago. I think we had a 55' houseboat and our 24 DCB. Found a real nice cove, hung out there all day. You had to look up pretty high to see the sky. Therein laid the problem. By the time we knew a squall was headed directly for us, we were in it. The anchors wouldn't hold the houseboat so I had to run the engines to keep it on shore and to keep it from hitting a boulder we parked next to. The DCB got some pretty nasty bumper rash from ramming up the side of the house boat for what seemed like an hour. At one point I had to tell everyone to move to the upwind side of the boat because it felt like the houseboat was going to tip over.

I guess from running the outboards in gear and trying to steer, the steering cylinder locked up. So when it was all over and we tried to leave the next morning I had no steering.

Had to disconnect the tie bar and steer the thing like a tiller boat. That was interesting.

Needless to say after we got the boat fixed we only stayed in coves that allowed us to see the horizon