Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

The Great Life Jacket Debate

There have been a few recent boat incidents involving boaters operating their boats without life jackets. Both recreational boaters and racers have lost their lives in boating accidents over the past several months to a year. I have personally witnessed a couple of these accidents and can tell you that in at least two situations life jackets did not help save lives whatsoever. They did however help in the recovery of the deceased. Hang on to that thought.

We've all heard that old saying "all they'll do is help them find your body". In some cases this is true.

Yours truly has been guilty of operating my boat at speeds in excess of 100mph without life jackets. After all, the choice is ours correct? Hang on to that thought as well.

Most States only require children age 13 or under to wear life jackets at all times while the boat is underway. Oddly enough, most adults are aware of this law and have absolutely no problem slapping life jackets on their 13yr old and younger kids. And whats even more bizarre, as soon as that child turns 14 the life jackets come off and we have absolutely no problem telling the LEO "he/she is 14 and no longer needs to wear a jacket". And of course the LEO does the smh deal and lets us go on about our business. So we cruise off thinking we cut a fat hog and usually never think twice about it. Now those of you who require everyone to wear jackets while in your boat, at all times, my hat is off to you.

For the rest of us, what happened to our thought process when we decided it was ok to not require a jacket on our now 14yr old? And why do we think its ok to not wear jackets at all? Even when our boats can travel at some pretty fast speeds?

Given the fact that the boating season is upon us and the fact that good people have lost their lives, has made me rethink my somewhat casual position about not wearing jackets in my boat, no matter what speed we plan on traveling.

My primary business can be pretty dangerous stuff. OSHA has set down some pretty stringent standards and requirements and most of the time none of us have a problem abiding by these regulations. In fact, depending on what we're doing, we welcome the protection. Yet we (I) don't seem to have a problem hopping in our 100+ mph boats and not wearing life jackets. If you really think about it, it doesn't make sense.

I know people who have a no choice, if you're going to ride in my boat, you will wear a life jacket rule. I applaud these people. Sometimes its not easy to "require" your passengers to wear a life jacket. When you make it a "put it on or no ride" rule, you've taken the option out of their hands. And in my opinion you've taken a big precaution to saving their life in the event of a catastrophe.

Now back to my earlier thoughts.

Should wearing a life jacket be a choice?

Do life jackets make it easier for rescue to find the body? If so, is this a bad thing?

I'm not preaching or passing judgment by any means. I'm simply saying that I've rethought this and will now require life jackets in my performance boat. It will no longer be an option.

What are your thoughts?

HB

BoatUS Life Jacket Rules by State

http://www.boatus.org/life-jacket-lo...quirements.asp

I think it's a great idea to require it. I know I've been on a few boat rides and thought "holy shit I wish I was wearing a life jacket right now".

Sent from my Bat Cave

Yup,,, I agree totally!!!! Captains rules, ,, if they don't like it, no boating for them. Rule on my boat is,,, No shoes..... unless she insists,,,, then the exception is you can wear the shoes, but thats the ONLY thing yer' wearin'.... :0)....
    CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!?!?... :0D...
    http://youtu.be/SvQKEvYW8QU

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    There have been a few recent boat incidents involving boaters operating their boats without life jackets. Both recreational boaters and racers have lost their lives in boating accidents over the past several months to a year. I have personally witnessed a couple of these accidents and can tell you that in at least two situations life jackets did not help save lives whatsoever. They did however help in the recovery of the deceased. Hang on to that thought.

We've all heard that old saying "all they'll do is help them find your body". In some cases this is true.

Yours truly has been guilty of operating my boat at speeds in excess of 100mph without life jackets. After all, the choice is ours correct? Hang on to that thought as well.

Most States only require children age 13 or under to wear life jackets at all times while the boat is underway. Oddly enough, most adults are aware of this law and have absolutely no problem slapping life jackets on their 13yr old and younger kids. And whats even more bizarre, as soon as that child turns 14 the life jackets come off and we have absolutely no problem telling the LEO "he/she is 14 and no longer needs to wear a jacket". And of course the LEO does the smh deal and lets us go on about our business. So we cruise off thinking we cut a fat hog and usually never think twice about it. Now those of you who require everyone to wear jackets while in your boat, at all times, my hat is off to you.

For the rest of us, what happened to our thought process when we decided it was ok to not require a jacket on our now 14yr old? And why do we think its ok to not wear jackets at all? Even when our boats can travel at some pretty fast speeds?

Given the fact that the boating season is upon us and the fact that good people have lost their lives, has made me rethink my somewhat casual position about not wearing jackets in my boat, no matter what speed we plan on traveling.

My primary business can be pretty dangerous stuff. OSHA has set down some pretty stringent standards and requirements and most of the time none of us have a problem abiding by these regulations. In fact, depending on what we're doing, we welcome the protection. Yet we (I) don't seem to have a problem hopping in our 100+ mph boats and not wearing life jackets. If you really think about it, it doesn't make sense.

I know people who have a no choice, if you're going to ride in my boat, you will wear a life jacket rule. I applaud these people. Sometimes its not easy to "require" your passengers to wear a life jacket. When you make it a "put it on or no ride" rule, you've taken the option out of their hands. And in my opinion you've taken a big precaution to saving their life in the event of a catastrophe.

Now back to my earlier thoughts.

Should wearing a life jacket be a choice?

Do life jackets make it easier for rescue to find the body? If so, is this a bad thing?

I'm not preaching or passing judgment by any means. I'm simply saying that I've rethought this and will now require life jackets in my performance boat. It will no longer be an option.

What are your thoughts?

HB

BoatUS Life Jacket Rules by State

http://www.boatus.org/life-jacket-lo...quirements.asp
    I think we've talked about this before, but I'm 110% with life jackets being worn. I've seen too many people loose too much in the past four or five years,. Including our close family, and it's something that should be mandatory, if you're going over a certain speed.. I also think, that you should have to have a license to drive a boat... That's my opinion.. But, I always have a strong opinion.

The people I've given rides to have all requested a life jacket so not really an issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.K034 View Post
    I think we've talked about this before, but I'm 110% with life jackets being worn. I've seen too many people loose too much in the past four or five years,. Including our close family, and it's something that should be mandatory, if you're going over a certain speed.. I also think, that you should have to have a license to drive a boat... That's my opinion.. But, I always have a strong opinion.
    Having a license to drive a boat is a great idea. It would require people to become familiar with safety rules and keep people from just renting a boat and not having any clue what they are doing.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Having a license to drive a boat is a great idea. It would require people to become familiar with safety rules and keep people from just renting a boat and not having any clue what they are doing.

Sent from my Bat Cave
    That is exactly it!!! Boating is really more dangerous than being on asphalt, because your "ground" is always changing and you have to know how to handle it.. If you don't, it could be bad.. Or if you aren't looking over your shoulder all the time.. So many things could turn bad so fast if you don't know the "rules" of driving a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    The people I've given rides to have all requested a life jacket so not really an issue for me.
    How many leave the boat with dry pants?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.K034 View Post
    Everybody that gets in my boat is handed a life jacket. If we are floating or putting down the river they need only have them within arms reach. If I go over 30 they need to have them on. I always have my jacket on. But, I don't swim.

That brings me to the license comment. I do not like the idea of licensing boat operators because that allows gov't to start meddling and making rules which they will get carried away with. I can see them saying to drive a boat you have to be able to swim, just because some lawmaker thinks it is a good idea. I can see them putting speed limits on the rivers and lakes, maximum horse power requirements and all kinds of other laws that do nothing but infringe on what we do for recreation. Remember giving you a license is nothing if they don't have a bunch of silly little rules they can take it away for if you don't comply.

HB, yes the jackets make it easier to find the bodies. But, what isn't spoken about is: Were any of those jackets that racers were wearing actually not in compliance with the rules? It really is a touchy subject as looking at it after the fact puts a bad light on some good people who tragically didn't follow the rules to a T. Why is it when a boat crashes (racing or not) and a fatality occurs, you rarely ever hear of a detailed investigation explaining what went wrong and what could be done to prevent the same thing from happening again.

For every safety measure there is a new risk added in some situations. A life jacket can keep you afloat, but if the boat capsizes, it can keep you trapped in the air pocket under the boat and you might not be found in time. Or the boat could sink over you and you might not have the strength to dive under the boat to come up outside of it with your jacket on.
    Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    How many leave the boat with dry pants?

Sent from my Bat Cave
    All. I don't give scary rides.