Sales of Fireball Whisky soar as it becomes go-to shot of Millennials

Impressive in growth!

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...tcmp=obnetwork

It’s the cinnamon flavored, syrupy-sweet liquor that lives up to its moniker “Tastes like Heaven. Burns like Hell.”

Fireball Whisky is one of the fastest growing alcohol brands in decades and, according to Bloomberg Businessweek, there are several savvy marketing techniques behind the brand’s success.

In 2011, the brand sold a paltry $1.9 million in stores, gas stations and supermarkets, according to Businessweek. But by 2013, retail sales soared to $61 million – putting Fireball ahead of popular brands like Jameson Irish Whiskey and Patron tequila. The $61 million figure does not even account for bar sales of the sweet liquor.

So what’s the secret? The drink, which tastes exactly like the Atomic Fireball candy, doesn’t resonate with cocktail snobs, but it has become the go-to shot for Millennials and is “synonymous with fun for young hedonists throughout the U.S.,” writes Businessweek.

Fireball has been targeting college towns like Nashville, Tenn. and Austin, Tex. by giving away free shots at bars and throwing contests in an effort to build up following with young consumers. The brand has also enlisted the help of celebrities with large social media followings like Josh Harris of Discovery Channel’s “Deadliest Catch” to promote the liquor.

The brand is even creeping up on sales of Jägermeister, a frat party favorite of previous generations. The 80 year old German digestive saw $81 million in sales last year but it not growing in the same clip as its cinnamon-flavored competition.

One Austin bartender even declared, "Jäger is dead.”

I could have told you that 3 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've still yet to try the stuff. Amazing eh? Especially with you as my BIL! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    I've still yet to try the stuff. Amazing eh? Especially with you as my BIL! Haha.
    Honestly I can't stand it unless it's straight out of the freezer

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    I could have told you that 3 years ago

I'm not surprised either. Some of the bars around here make sure to mention they serve Fireball in their radio ads.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

thinking Hotboat may be a Trend Setter with Fireball Friday........

Quote Originally Posted by rioracr View Post
    thinking Hotboat may be a Trend Setter with Fireball Friday........
    I'm gonna switch to some other brand if they don't show up to one of our events soon

As almost all my friends are still in the bar and liquor industry, we all call it the perfect storm. Tastes pretty decent straight out the freezer, its not expensive, even their swag on the website is cheap, and its an easy shot for bartenders to pour quickly and customers to shoot. The liquor rep dropped off Evan Williams' knock off of it last night, and it was not good, even effin' cold. Wasn't terrible, but I would never order it again, but everyone likes fireball and my local outpours it to Jager 100 fold, and maybe 20% more than Patron. I don't think it will last forever like goose and Patron, but I think its many more years before something replaces it.

I think I tried that knock off, terrible!
    I have been enjoying a shot of Fireball after a shot of bourbon...chaser.
    Then back to the beer I am drinking.
    Been enjoying that combo for a while now.
    I think it is a liquor that has wide appeal.
    Not as high a proof as "real" whiskey or bourbon.
    Not as low as schnapps.
    Kind of middle of the road.
    RSCHAP1