Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BadFish View Post
    Still looking for a second skier to ski back from Catalina in the over and back class.
    Thanks
    Are you skiing there?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Are you skiing there?

Sent from my Bat Cave
    Yeah. I would prefer to ski there vs back.
    Thanks for starting this thread.

Yeah. I would prefer to ski there vs back.
    Thanks for starting this thread.
    You're welcome. Would you mind telling us your experience level?

Sent from my Bat Cave

Still looking for a second skier to ski back from Catalina in the over and back class.
    Thanks
    I would consider skiing back. I am 31 and in excellent shape (4 day a week gym rat and super healthy eater guy). Been on a single since I was 8 years old. Never raced, but how hard can going fast behind a boat in the ocean be??!!

Quote Originally Posted by ColeBoater View Post
    I would consider skiing back. I am 31 and in excellent shape (4 day a week gym rat and super healthy eater guy). Been on a single since I was 8 years old. Never raced, but how hard can going fast behind a boat in the ocean be??!!
    Hahahahaha

I hurt more the day after my first Catalina, than after my first marathon...

This is not a fast race (well, not for normal people, the elite guys are flying), it is an endurance race. 45-55mph would be very competitive, a 65mph average will be in the top 10 overall.

Please, don't take this as a negative, or as an attack. Ski racing as a whole is one of the coolest things I've ever done, and Catalina is an experience for sure. It is NOT easy!
    Last edited by crazyhippy; 06-11-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColeBoater View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyhippy View Post
    Hahahahaha

I hurt more the day after my first Catalina, than after my first marathon...

This is not a fast race (well, not for normal people, the elite guys are flying), it is an endurance race. 45-55mph would be very competitive, a 65mph average will be in the top 10 overall.

Please, don't take this as a negative, or as an attack. Ski racing as a whole is one of the coolest things I've ever done, and Catalina is an experience for sure. It is NOT easy!
    If he starts now, does he have enough time to build up the endurance?

Sent from my Bat Cave

In a month? I suppose it would depend on his aerobic conditioning now...

No more than a 10% increase/week, means would have to be able to ride 30-40 minutes at a decent clip on a bike today to be ready to go one way.

And needs to get on a BIG ski right now. They do not ski like anything else. They don't turn like normal, don't handle rough water like normal, don't start like normal...The first time you drop off the back of a swell is rather eye opening. Not real hard impact, just a long time trying to balance on nothing, and need to have the ski square under you when you touch down... lather rinse repeat 30 more times.

Oh and the last 4 miles get rougher from bounce back off the sea wall!

Never any real superhero stuff, just lots and lots of little fights. The mental game can be tough too. If it is foggy, you lose all track of time/distance. If it is clear, land never seems to get closer. A brief moment of inattention, and you get a refreshing bath...

Still sound like fun?
    Last edited by crazyhippy; 06-11-2014 at 09:36 PM.

You're welcome. Would you mind telling us your experience level?

Sent from my Bat Cave
    Ask your surfing/ photography buddies about this guy...

Howdy Mr. Badfish! Long time no see.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhippy View Post
    Ask your surfing/ photography buddies about this guy...

Howdy Mr. Badfish! Long time no see.
    About which guy?

Sent from my Bat Cave

About which guy?

Sent from my Bat Cave
    Badfish...