Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyhippy View Post
    Badfish...
    I've met him and watched him ski.

Sent from my Bat Cave

In a month? I suppose it would depend on his aerobic conditioning now...

No more than a 10% increase/week, means would have to be able to ride 30-40 minutes at a decent clip on a bike today to be ready to go one way.

And needs to get on a BIG ski right now. They do not ski like anything else. They don't turn like normal, don't handle rough water like normal, don't start like normal...The first time you drop off the back of a swell is rather eye opening. Not real hard impact, just a long time trying to balance on nothing, and need to have the ski square under you when you touch down... lather rinse repeat 30 more times.

Oh and the last 4 miles get rougher from bounce back off the sea wall!

Never any real superhero stuff, just lots and lots of little fights. The mental game can be tough too. If it is foggy, you lose all track of time/distance. If it is clear, land never seems to get closer. A brief moment of inattention, and you get a refreshing bath...

Still sound like fun?
    I ride 10 miles on a bike every time I am at the gym (4 days a week). On top of that, I can run a 6:45 mile and am barely winded. I have the endurance, in fact I could go do a half Iron Man right now if I wanted to. You are right about the skiing aspect though. I definitely don't know what to expect on a big ski in the ocean and it would be challenging both physically and mentally, so I don't discount that. However, with that being said.......I would be ready for the challenge and I never back down from anything like this. I love pushing my physical and mental capabilities to the limit so that is why I want to do this. I did a Tough Mudder recently and thought it was weak.....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ColeBoater View Post
    I ride 10 miles on a bike every time I am at the gym (4 days a week). On top of that, I can run a 6:45 mile and am barely winded. I have the endurance, in fact I could go do a half Iron Man right now if I wanted to. You are right about the skiing aspect though. I definitely don't know what to expect on a big ski in the ocean and it would be challenging both physically and mentally, so I don't discount that. However, with that being said.......I would be ready for the challenge and I never back down from anything like this. I love pushing my physical and mental capabilities to the limit so that is why I want to do this. I did a Tough Mudder recently and thought it was weak.....lol.
    I love your attitude. You respect the difficulty of the sport yet you're up for the challenge.

Sent from my Bat Cave

I did the tough mudder last year in Vail Lake. Though it was fun but def tough for me.
    Electricity was the worse for me, I have metal in my body and a lil heart issue so the first time it hit me, I thought I was going to die. I passed the other electricity obstacles after that.
    Oh yah, the big container filled with ice water sucked also lol.

Anyways, back on subject. Think it would be cool for you to try it and going in cold, never doing it before. Would def make a good story!

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner1984 View Post
    I did the tough mudder last year in Vail Lake. Though it was fun but def tough for me.
    Electricity was the worse for me, I have metal in my body and a lil heart issue so the first time it hit me, I thought I was going to die. I passed the other electricity obstacles after that.
    Oh yah, the big container filled with ice water sucked also lol.

Anyways, back on subject. Think it would be cool for you to try it and going in cold, never doing it before. Would def make a good story!
    I did the Vail Lake one to last year. I like running them. I definitely want to try it, I have been talking about it since last year. I guess I should probably start by actually buying some of the required equipment since I don't own a big ski.

I did the Vail Lake one to last year. I like running them. I definitely want to try it, I have been talking about it since last year. I guess I should probably start by actually buying some of the required equipment since I don't own a big ski.
    The worse part of the tough mudder was getting there first thing in the morning ( I did it in Feb) and it was 27 degrees outside! So damn cold lol

I say do it...Maybe Eli can make you up a Hotboat.com vest or whatever they wear when they are racing like that. Or at least a hotboat.com sticker on the helmet lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    You're welcome. Would you mind telling us your experience level?

Sent from my Bat Cave
    As far as ski racing goes, I ski in the Men's Novice class for both circles and in the Mini Marathon (26 mile) I average 70 to 75mph on lake or river course, but Catalina is a whole different beast as far as speed, and I have only attempted that race once so far. I made it to the island, around the turn and about 1/4 of the way back and stepped off, and tried to get up again, but was so exhausted there was no way, and that is why I am doing the over and back this year.
    Also looking for any water time lake or ocean, so if anybody needs more people on the boat for a practice session let me know.

Thanks
    Last edited by BadFish; 06-12-2014 at 11:20 AM.

In a month? I suppose it would depend on his aerobic conditioning now...

No more than a 10% increase/week, means would have to be able to ride 30-40 minutes at a decent clip on a bike today to be ready to go one way.

And needs to get on a BIG ski right now. They do not ski like anything else. They don't turn like normal, don't handle rough water like normal, don't start like normal...The first time you drop off the back of a swell is rather eye opening. Not real hard impact, just a long time trying to balance on nothing, and need to have the ski square under you when you touch down... lather rinse repeat 30 more times.

Oh and the last 4 miles get rougher from bounce back off the sea wall!

Never any real superhero stuff, just lots and lots of little fights. The mental game can be tough too. If it is foggy, you lose all track of time/distance. If it is clear, land never seems to get closer. A brief moment of inattention, and you get a refreshing bath...

Still sound like fun?
    Hey Mr. CrazyHippy, yes long time no see. Will; we see ya at Catalina this year?
    Yes this race (even though I have only done it once) is like no other both mentally and physically. I can ski the Mini (26) miles and then ski in a circle race, then play ski after the races that day, but even half way to the turn I was already feeling beat. On the mental note, about 3/4 way to the turn the island looks a few minutes away, ya ski for a while longer, look up to see the island, and think you should be at the turn, and the island looks like it did the last 5 times you looked. Last night I was informed I may have a return skier that is coming over from Australia to do the race, I should know for sure in the next day or two. If that falls through I am open to anybody that wants to race, its a great event and my repect goes out to anybody that wants to even try.

Quote Originally Posted by BadFish View Post
    As far as ski racing goes, I ski in the Men's Novice class for both circles and in the Mini Marathon (26 mile) I average 70 to 75mph on lake or river course, but Catalina is a whole different beast as far as speed, and I have only attempted that race once so far. I made it to the island, around the turn and about 1/4 of the way back and stepped off, and tried to get up again, but was so exhausted there was no way, and that is why I am doing the over and back this year.
    Also looking for any water time lake or ocean, so if anybody needs more people on the boat for a practice session let me know.

Thanks
    Have you called Bobby to see if he's going out on the water? I know the guys at WOTM go out all the time you should hit them up.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Badfish...
    This is J.T. (badfish) you're talking about right?.He is Darren's (OC photographics)son

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk