Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Do you mean actually ski time? How much ski time/miles would you recommend to get fully prepared? How many ocean training hours vs lake?

Sent from my Bat Cave
    I've had a few people ask me to help them find drivers, boats, skiers, observers and navigators. I've been able to make a few connections, but now I am going to utilize the big bad website world of BOATING!

Currently, I am trying to help friends find the following: I will update this post as necessary 4/30/14.

1. Skier from Catalina to Long Beach, we have one going out need one to come back.
    2. Boat, driver and navigator preferably a 36-42 foot V bottom for a very experienced skier.

Thank you for your help and if you need/want to make a ski race connection, please feel free to post here or PM me and I will do it for you. This is a great event!
    The top skiers make many, many trips on the actual course to the island and back, probably more with training boats, short skis and short ropes instead of spending the money it takes to run the race boat every time. Lake skiing is nothing like skiing in the ocean, both physically and mentally. Besides the the obvious physical conditioning and endurance, it requires constant mental alertness during the entire race, since waves and rollers come from all directions, and in all sizes. If the weather is clear and you can see the island when you start, it seems like it takes forever to get there. If it's foggy, you keep wondering if you are on the right course, and when will you ever spot the darn island.

I have driven and observed in the race a bunch of times, and have driven and observed in many, many more practice runs, including one time when we found the boat filling with water about 20 miles out, and the bilge pump would not work when switched on, and of course no phone or radios, or even a proper bailing bucket. I have also skied to the island a couple of times on training runs.

One of the best deals in connecting teams may be to contact someone from the Long Beach Boat and Ski Club that puts on the race. Another suggestion might be to at least mention the skier's average or best time if you don't feel it's appropriate to put his or her name, but in many cases the name would help. Who is looking to split the run, my skier from last year might be happier only going half the distance?

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    The top skiers make many, many trips on the actual course to the island and back, probably more with training boats, short skis and short ropes instead of spending the money it takes to run the race boat every time. Lake skiing is nothing like skiing in the ocean, both physically and mentally. Besides the the obvious physical conditioning and endurance, it requires constant mental alertness during the entire race, since waves and rollers come from all directions, and in all sizes. If the weather is clear and you can see the island when you start, it seems like it takes forever to get there. If it's foggy, you keep wondering if you are on the right course, and when will you ever spot the darn island.

I have driven and observed in the race a bunch of times, and have driven and observed in many, many more practice runs, including one time when we found the boat filling with water about 20 miles out, and the bilge pump would not work when switched on, and of course no phone or radios, or even a proper bailing bucket. I have also skied to the island a couple of times on training runs.

One of the best deals in connecting teams may be to contact someone from the Long Beach Boat and Ski Club that puts on the race. Another suggestion might be to at least mention the skier's average or best time if you don't feel it's appropriate to put his or her name, but in many cases the name would help. Who is looking to split the run, my skier from last year might be happier only going half the distance?
    Lots of great information.

Bobby Rojas is driving and JT wants to ski to Catalina.

Brian Samaniego is looking for the boat, driver, navigator.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Do you mean actually ski time? How much ski time/miles would you recommend to get fully prepared? How many ocean training hours vs lake?

Sent from my Bat Cave
    By the time of the race each year I'd have 4-5 runs to the island and back, behind my schiada 20. As well as skiing every day( it helped to work at a ski school all summer) and I raced the entire sanction season in both circles and marathons.

Needless to say I was still beat up and tired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rivergames View Post
    Ahhh he'll no. If I'm doing it, in going the distance!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Let's go a little old school. I'll pull you with my boat. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by djunkie View Post
    Let's go a little old school. I'll pull you with my boat. Lol
    I better install a cooler that holds a 12 pack on the front of my ski for that 4 hour ski ride

I better install a cooler that holds a 12 pack on the front of my ski for that 4 hour ski ride
    It's ok. We'll just toss them back to you.

It's ok. We'll just toss them back to you.
    Done! That would be pretty fun as an observer in your boat to lay in the open boat facing backwards

Done! That would be pretty fun as an observer in your boat to lay in the open boat facing backwards
    Oh we'd have like 10 people in it. Might as well make a party out of it.

Oh we'd have like 10 people in it. Might as well make a party out of it.
    I'm inviting myself to this party!

Sent from my Bat Cave

I'm inviting myself to this party!

Sent from my Bat Cave
    Is this an Eli #3 habit?

Sent by tapatalk with good intentions
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement: