Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Junkyard Dog

I say this with reverence, Charlie had his own ideas about things and wanted them done his way!! I always got along with Charlie and Paula, good people and good racers........................

Quote Originally Posted by spudpilot View Post
    Yes, we (Al Cerny Racing Engines) did all of the machine work for Charlie and Paula's boat, Charlie always assembled his own program unless he was in a bind. In order to qualify for the hot boat race you had to pull at least one skier, Paula was usually one of the skiers! They were very active in Desert Boat and Ski Club............

Great to see the "Sundance" re-surface
    That's cool John! Love the history!

Thanks Jerry, these threads make me dig deep into the gray matter, brings back found memories and times!!

Yes, I drove it. It was new and out of the mold when Charlie put it together to ski race and boat race it. He and I both ski raced behind it, but it was really a boat you enjoyed boat racing in. It would take a nice set right at the hit of the throttle, and was fast. He won a couple of national championships with it and I won one. I ended up buying my own boat, another Beiser, and we raced against each other. Fun times. I still have a number of pictures of it. I eventually sold my boat and got into fuel funny cars.

Quote Originally Posted by paulam View Post
    Yes, I drove it. It was new and out of the mold when Charlie put it together to ski race and boat race it. He and I both ski raced behind it, but it was really a boat you enjoyed boat racing in. It would take a nice set right at the hit of the throttle, and was fast. He won a couple of national championships with it and I won one. I ended up buying my own boat, another Beiser, and we raced against each other. Fun times. I still have a number of pictures of it. I eventually sold my boat and got into fuel funny cars.
    How cool! I've always wondered of it's past. It's a really fun boat to rip around in and your right it drives great! I actually took it out today and played around for a little bit. What class did you guy's race it in? I would love to see some old pictures of it. Welcome to the site and thank you for replying to my thread.

Wow. One of my favorite women in racing. Posting on this site here in the middle of nowhere.
    I remember that Pluegar chassied beast running around in the ranks of the NHRA world. Let me think- Ford Probe body on it there at the end? The last time I can remember hanging out in the drag pits with you would have to be at the Mile Highs, say- about 20 years ago??
    Funniest thing is that there was a little toy they sold at K-mart about a year after the last race I remember you at. It made a few different noises and sounds of the strip. And they took the sound file for a funny car burnout from one of your burnouts. I should have bought that little toy when I found that out. But, like missing this boat by one phone call, I missed out.
    Glad to see you are still around. I hope all is well.
    Buzzz Miller-

Welcome to www.hotboat.com, please enjoy your stay

We also ran both of the boats we owned at APBA races in Pro Comp. We started out with dual carbs and then went to injectors on the Sundance. 4 bolt main, 427 bored out... Cerny initially did the engine and it lasted forever. After Cerny was hurt in the sand rail accident, we started putting everything together. It is so good to see it in your pictures! I do have some pictures of it from "the day" on my Facebook page-Paula McHam Martin, feel free to "friend me", otherwise you won't be able to open my pics. Oh, the deck damage was from a Las Vegas/Lake Mead race; Charlie was racing it in really rough water and it chimed in, and broke the hull. We had it fixed, and we ran it for awhile, then sold it to a friend for a run-around-the-lake boat. We were concerned about racing the hull.

Thanks for your kind words, Wannabe. Yep, the last year I raced in fuel was 1999, geez it doesn't seem so long ago, but it really is. The last time I ran Denver, I think I went out the back door....loved racing. Never knew about the burn out thing with the toy, that's cool to hear. Geez, those burn outs were fun.
    Last edited by paulam; 07-24-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Thank you. I appreciate the welcome Hotboat.
    Last edited by paulam; 07-24-2014 at 12:30 AM.