Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raw Shots

Yeah, I hear ya- memory is getting cheaper by the day, and those stills are nothing compared to your video library.
    I'm hoping they get the prices down for flash drives, I'm tired of worrying about a crash.

Raw Shots

Jay what do you use for a telephoto?

I have a D700, but as you know try to get anything decent over 400mm and it doesn't exist, at least in Nikons world.

I have a 80-400 and 70-300 I think. I think the 300 is 2.8 and the 400 is 5.6

What do you run for most of your shots?

Quote Originally Posted by jayboat View Post
    Yeah, that's the way I interpreted it.

Vic, no real need to shoot raw unless you plan to do prints, or if you really, really like to do post-processing on your shots. You need a program like Lightroom (windows) or Aperture (Mac) to process them. They are fairly large files, so you may be filling up your drives unnecessarily. Dunno what you are shooting with, but your camera will probably perform better if you just shoot jpeg instead of raw+jpeg.

Back to the original question- here's one from way early (2006) that really motivated me.
    Lunch stop at Harpoon Harry's, Punta Gorda for Poker Runs America Sarasota run.

No processing other than the border/dropshadow.

This looks like a cigarette ad out of a magazine!! Great scott!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Jay what do you use for a telephoto?

I have a D700, but as you know try to get anything decent over 400mm and it doesn't exist, at least in Nikons world.

I have a 80-400 and 70-300 I think. I think the 300 is 2.8 and the 400 is 5.6

What do you run for most of your shots?
    I had the 80-400 for a season or two- just not quite fast enough to suit me.

My goal was to get decent race shots from the beach or a pier,
    most everything else I do is from a moving boat so those would be closer.
    I use a 70-200, sometimes with a 1.7 converter.

Long range stuff can have real limitations due to heat haze, moisture etc coming off water in the summer
    and from a moving boat... ha ha.

I admit tho, I'm such a one-trick pony with the boats... that part is kinda easy for me.
    Love that 70-200...

Quote Originally Posted by Gothalos View Post
    This looks like a cigarette ad out of a magazine!! Great scott!
    Like I said, this one was a real early motivator for me. I had only known Bobthebuilder for 6 months- that's his original 50 Nor-Tech, Predator in the bottom right.

This was 2006. One of those blue Cigs has since burned, I think. And, at the time of this shot, John Elway owned American Muscle III.
    I was very impressed by the whole scene- walking right by Elway was kinda cool- and it was a big run
    the season opener from Sarasota...

Harpoon Harry's has a great deck overlooking the docks, which is really what made the shot possible.

Great picture.

Ready to upgrade to one of these.

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbad View Post
    Great pic. Thanks!
    Keep going, your almost there. You now have 11 posts.

Love the pics.

I like shooting RAW, and having more editing options. Back when film was the medium, I believed in the theory of buying the best glass you could. But with the digital age do you put emphasis on the glass, the body, or the editing software?