Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

RV Satellite TV?

What satellite provider are you using in your RV? I have Direct TV in home but it seems the satellite receivers for RV's lean toward Dish Network. I plan to take one of the boxes from home on trips. I'm out of contract and can go either way, anyone have insight?

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    What satellite provider are you using in your RV? I have Direct TV in home but it seems the satellite receivers for RV's lean toward Dish Network. I plan to take one of the boxes from home on trips. I'm out of contract and can go either way, anyone have insight?

CH3NO2

Dish sucks. "Ad a room" to your current Direct TV account and they'll send you an additional box. While you're waiting for the box in the mail, look on CL for a dish. Put the box in the RV and put the dish on a tripod. Every time you get where you're going, pull the dish out, aim it and watch TV. It's rather simple. Direct TV has no idea the box isn't in your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post

CH3NO2
    I have Dish in mine and love it (well I did until I got the free upgraded HD receiver a month or so ago). It's only five bucks a month for the extra receiver.
    I had an old hand me down receiver since we got the rig in '08. Got the Wingard dome on the motorhome and it worked great for that receiver. Well, a few months ago, I was informed Dish wasn't going to be able to support the 111 receiver I have. Gave me a nice HD receiver-don't recall the model off hand- for next to nothing. Haven't had much time to mess with it but I think the dome I have doesn't support new receiver. Think I might need the $1,000.00 Winegard Traveler.

Quote Originally Posted by niceguyeddie View Post
    Put the box in the RV and put the dish on a tripod. Every time you get where you're going, pull the dish out, aim it and watch TV. It's rather simple. Direct TV has no idea the box isn't in your home.
    Setting up a portable dish every time can be a nuisance, or so I've heard.

Dish sucks. "Ad a room" to your current Direct TV account and they'll send you an additional box. While you're waiting for the box in the mail, look on CL for a dish. Put the box in the RV and put the dish on a tripod. Every time you get where you're going, pull the dish out, aim it and watch TV. It's rather simple. Direct TV has no idea the box isn't in your home.
    NGE, can you elaborate as to why you would choose Direct over Dish?
    I've had it both ways as far as fixed vs portable, my question is geared to which provider. In shopping for mounted style it looks like there is more satellite receiver selection for Dish Network on RVs. I appreciate anyone's feedback.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

We have directv works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dish sucks. "Ad a room" to your current Direct TV account and they'll send you an additional box. While you'rge waiting for the box in the mail, look on CL for a dish. Put the box in the RV and put the dish on a tripod. Every time you get where you're going, pull the dish out, aim it and watch TV. It's rather simple. Direct TV has no idea the box isn't in your home.

I did this for years at my Havasu house. Last month my sat dish went out and my snowbird called Direct TV. Dumbass let them know the tv was in Havasu. DTV then shut off all 7 of my tvs at both houses. I had to go to each tv and give the guy my card # for that tv. I had to tell him I had 1 tv in Havasu because my snowbird already told them. Now I have to pay a $70 fee for Havasu with AZ channels. I am raising his rent next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    We have directv works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is your Sat dish mounted to RV? I want to mount permanently bc RV is pre-wired. I've been shopping, mostly at Camping World and majority of Sat dishes are for use with Dish Network. The easy decision is get one that works with Direct bc that's who I have service with presently and I'll just take one of the receivers on trips. Just trying to make sure I don't find out after the equipment purchase should have gone Dish Network.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby V View Post
    I did this for years at my Havasu house. Last month my sat dish went out and my snowbird called Direct TV. Dumbass let them know the tv was in Havasu. DTV then shut off all 7 of my tvs at both houses. I had to go to each tv and give the guy my card # for that tv. I had to tell him I had 1 tv in Havasu because my snowbird already told them. Now I have to pay a $70 fee for Havasu with AZ channels. I am raising his rent next year.
    Now that sucks! :(

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

If the DTV receiver you want to take with you in the rv is HD then setting up the dish is a bit trickier but very doable. If its a Std Def receiver, then those dishes are simple to point.
    Either way, the best is to mimick the same dish as whats on your house. $50-80 will get you a dish and LNb in most cases. On line best bet. Solidsignal.com has everything you'd need.
    From my POS T-mobile thingie
    Last edited by Ziggy; 04-03-2014 at 07:36 PM.
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement:

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    If the DTV reciever you want to take with you in the rv is HD then setting up the dish is a bit trickier but very doable. If its a Std Def receiver, then those dishes are simple to point.
    Either way, the best is to mimick the same dish as whats on your house. $50-80 will get you a dish and LNb in most cases. On line best bet. Solidsignal.com has everything you'd need.
    From my POS T-mobile thingie
    Thanks Ziggy, I'll check that website. I get all the HD channels, would that mean it's a HD receiver? I checked back of receiver and can't find any distinguishing info, equipment is over 5 years old.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2