Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I struggle with the issue right now.....sitting in the moho in Palm Desert and can't get the Kingdome Sat and Direct TV dealio to work. Pops hated this dish so he upgraded his moho to the auto-find the satellite deal and sold me his semi-auto dome. Mounted a year ago and haven't yet got a signal....maybe cause the dome is behind the CB antenna, maybe the palm tree a hundred feet in front me (is exactly in line with the satellite) maybe maybe maybe

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellCarl View Post
    I struggle with the issue right now.....sitting in the moho in Palm Desert and can't get the Kingdome Sat and Direct TV dealio to work. Pops hated this dish so he upgraded his moho to the auto-find the satellite deal and sold me his semi-auto dome. Mounted a year ago and haven't yet got a signal....maybe cause the dome is behind the CB antenna, maybe the palm tree a hundred feet in front me (is exactly in line with the satellite) maybe maybe maybe
    Another great response and I can relate, sometimes it's easy to latch onto signal and other times I didn't get it to work the whole trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellCarl View Post
    Looks to me the common denominator is "Direct TV". My auto find with Dish, not the tracker, worked great with my old receiver. Still trying to tweak the new HD receiver to figure out if it's gonna work with the old dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby V View Post
    I did this for years at my Havasu house. Last month my sat dish went out and my snowbird called Direct TV. Dumbass let them know the tv was in Havasu. DTV then shut off all 7 of my tvs at both houses. I had to go to each tv and give the guy my card # for that tv. I had to tell him I had 1 tv in Havasu because my snowbird already told them. Now I have to pay a $70 fee for Havasu with AZ channels. I am raising his rent next year.
    I might have been the tech that fixed his tv.. Is your snowbird a old guy that likes jim beam?? haha

Quote Originally Posted by papaletch4130 View Post
    I might have been the tech that fixed his tv.. Is your snowbird a old guy that likes jim beam?? haha
    Yep. Jim. My house is on Bamboo. Was he drinking already. lol

The main reason dish is getting more popular with rvs is there hd will still work with dome style antennas. Dtv requires a larger dish because some of there hd channels are on ku band. The winegard motorized fold down dishes work the best for dish or direct. They are full size so they don't lose signal as easy as domes, they can have multiple receivers or tuners, and you don't have to wait for the dish to turn while changing channels. Your current dtv receiver should work with your current system. With either system if you are outside your local area you may not have local channels. But all the others will be fine. Saying dish sucks is ridicules, you may have had a bad experience, the hopper outperformed the genie in every category and cost less monthly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricks raft View Post
    The main reason dish is getting more popular with rvs is there hd will still work with dome style antennas. Dtv requires a larger dish because some of there hd channels are on ku band. The winegard motorized fold down dishes work the best for dish or direct. They are full size so they don't lose signal as easy as domes, they can have multiple receivers or tuners, and you don't have to wait for the dish to turn while changing channels. Your current dtv receiver should work with your current system. With either system if you are outside your local area you may not have local channels. But all the others will be fine. Saying dish sucks is ridicules, you may have had a bad experience, the hopper outperformed the genie in every category and cost less monthly.
    Thank you for the explanation, I laugh every time the " hopper" commercial plays.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby V View Post
    Yep. Jim. My house is on Bamboo. Was he drinking already. lol
    Yup that is him.. Nice house killer driveway haha. If you ever have any problems just pm me on here I can get you taken care of..

Here's something I ran into when I recently switched from Direct TV Standard Def. to HD. Depending on what particular areas local channels you're subscribed to receive, the HD "Spot Beam" coverage area is a smaller radius than is the Std. Def. spot beam. So if you can't receive a local channel in HD, switch your guide back to SD, then you'll see and be able to receive those same channels in SD. This happened to me at Lake Havasu, my local channels being San Diego, it seems I'm right on the edge of the HD coverage. I switched dishes to the DTV SWM type, during the day I can receive channels in HD, but beginning around sundown and lasting all night, I can't receive HD, but if I switch to the SD channel, I get great reception, as I have for years out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Taboma View Post
    Here's something I ran into when I recently switched from Direct TV Standard Def. to HD. Depending on what particular areas local channels you're subscribed to receive, the HD "Spot Beam" coverage area is a smaller radius than is the Std. Def. spot beam. So if you can't receive a local channel in HD, switch your guide back to SD, then you'll see and be able to receive those same channels in SD. This happened to me at Lake Havasu, my local channels being San Diego, it seems I'm right on the edge of the HD coverage. I switched dishes to the DTV SWM type, during the day I can receive channels in HD, but beginning around sundown and lasting all night, I can't receive HD, but if I switch to the SD channel, I get great reception, as I have for years out there.
    Good info, I need to learn more about the technical side of HD and SD. All I know is it's painful to watch SD if HD is available.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2