Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Train wreck!!!

Train wreck!!!

Yesterday I almost became a train wreck, literally. I was driving all over southern CA from one thing to another and was heading to my last meeting and thanks to traffic I had 2 people waiting for me. I was driving in a very unfamiliar area and I was about a fourth of a mile away from my destination, when I notice these flashing lights, yet everyone was driving right passed them as if it was just a common warning. Until I was close enough to realize there are train tracks and an on coming train. I slammed on my brakes as hard as I could, looked in the rear view mirror and noticed the car behind me was going to slam into my ass and shove me right into the train so I released the break and went forward about a car length. He barely stopped inches behind me to the point where I could see his face in my rear view mirror. I was relieved that he didn't hit me, until I realized where I was. I knew at this point I can't go forward because I would risk being hit by the train but I wasn't in a safe area either, I tried to reverse and the idiot behind me wouldn't get out of my way. I turned my head and shouted "MOVE!" he put his car in reverse and gave me space to move. I was in such a panic all I could see was mother's face and then my sisters faces and at this point everything became a fog. I thought, "I can't go like this." At this point, I couldn't hear anything, I obviously couldn't see anything because I tried to put the car in reverse and I wasn't moving, I looked down and it was in neutral, I made a second attempt and heard a loud roar from the engine. I was paralyzed by fear. I've never been paralyzed by fear. I've always taken fear by the horns and made it my bitch. I looked down again and noticed the car was in park. I focus as hard as I could and put the car in reverse, looked back and there was the barrier arm behind me and I had to get passed it. I slammed on the gas, and heard the loud scrape against the roof of my car and made it just in time to look up and see the train passing in front of me. I was shaking so hard I couldn't move. It felt like an eternity watching the train pass me. Once it passed, I put the car in drive and drove to the first drive way, park my car and took a few deep breaths. About a minute passed when I realized I'm going to need to talk to someone to help calm me down, can't call mother or sisters and freak them out, so I called my friend. As I started explaining what happened and realized I was safe, I burst into tears and cried, "I'm not supposed to die in a train wreck, I'm supposed to die sky diving or something." It took about ten minutes for me to finally stop shaking enough to drive again.

Well, it got me thinking, a lot of you race boats, cars etc. and do other things you love or for work that are far more dangerous and real than my experience. Have you ever been in a situation where you thought "holy shit this could be it!" What went through your mind?

I know one thing for sure, when I see my mother and sisters tonight I'm going to give them a giant hug. I just can't tell them why.

Holy shit Eli... Glad your ok!!

Being put in a situation where you suddenly come face to face with your own mortality can sure be a wakeup call. You should have a drink

This is however, a great opportunity for some TRAIN related jokes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    Seriously fuck a duck

Wow!!!
    Glad you were able to gather your composure to get your car in gear and get off the tracks. Was abandoning the car resonating or was your brain froze? I ask bc you didn't mention it, people process fear differently. So thankful your here to post this!

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

GRADS
    By any chance did the train conductor yell "fuck Riverdave and Hotboat!" as he went by?

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    By any chance did the train conductor yell "fuck Riverdave and Hotboat!" as he went by?
    LOL... knew that was coming
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    Seriously fuck a duck

Quote Originally Posted by 28eliminator View Post
    Holy shit Eli... Glad your ok!!

Being put in a situation where you suddenly come face to face with your own mortality can sure be a wakeup call. You should have a drink

This is however, a great opportunity for some TRAIN related jokes
    Yea I thought about the irony of the train wreck. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Wow!!!
    Glad you were able to gather your composure to get your car in gear and get off the tracks. Was abandoning the car resonating or was your brain froze? I ask bc you didn't mention it, people process fear differently. So thankful your here to post this!

CH3NO2
    It did just go through my mind, I looked to the left saw the train and it was far enough away for one more shot as I hit the gas like a batshit crazy lady and my car finally moved. In retrospect, I could've moved a few feet and been fine, but at that point it was all instinct and no thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    I think I heard RD SUUUUUU as it rushed passed me

Sent from my Bat Cave

Eli, in response to the latter part of your post, I've had to near death situations and both involved trying to rescue others. The first was trying to save a person from drowning. I was a teenager then, as soon as I got to him he used me as a bouy by grabbing my hair and pushing me under for what seemed eternity. Luckily someone else jumped in and two of us managed to get the guy to shallow water.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Eli, in response to the latter part of your post, I've had to near death situations and both involved trying to rescue others. The first was trying to save a person from drowning. I was a teenager then, as soon as I got to him he used me as a bouy by grabbing my hair and pushing me under for what seemed eternity. Luckily someone else jumped in and two of us managed to get the guy to shallow water.

CH3NO2
    Oh no! That's terrible he almost drown both of you. Admittedly, I did giggle a little at the image, but only bc I know you're safe

Sent from my Bat Cave

The second involved rescuing a cop from a burning patrol car. This was in '08, about 5am on the way to work, he had passed me a few minutes earlier traveling close to a 100 mph. All the sudden I'm dodging guardrail debris scattered all over both lanes of interstate, and I saw a fire erupt in the median. I slammed on brakes and backed up, started running to patrol car and there was an apparent fuel tank explosion. I could tell the car had completely rolled and landed tires down but couldn't tell if the officer was in the car bc of the blacked out windows. Then he started screaming to get him out of the car. The grass was starting to catch on fire and fortunately other people stopped to help. The door pillar was bent so door wouldn't open, one of the other rescuers broke out the window and we pulled him out the window as the car became more engulfed.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2