Thread: Blown engines

Hybrid View

Wouldn't even consider not running one.

Calling one a HARMONIC "balancer" is a little misleading. You only use the term balancer if it has a counterweight for balancing. They do help control harmonics, but they are really TORSIONAL DAMPERS

Its a little complicated in a boat. If I was powering off the flywheel, I might me a little more apt to not run one, but I think I still would. Nobody ever hurt a crank by running one. Not sure you can say the same thing about not running one.

The ideal location for one in a snout driven boat is on the flywheel end. I recently purchased a set to do that.

Saying the belt cancels the harmonics or controls torsional twist rebound, could be said about anything running fan belts. I assure you that the Nascar boys are not looking at the belts as something that cancels harmonics, or controls torsional rebound, they are looking at the belts and everything they spin as just one more thing adding to the harmonics. Not only do the engines make more power with one, and the bearings last longer, but the belts survive much better as well. What does that tell you?
    Last edited by gn7; 03-19-2014 at 02:54 AM.

I have a custom, 2 piece crankshaft from when I ran my Schiada ski race boat without one. Can't say that's what caused it, but I took it as a lesson.

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    I have a custom, 2 piece crankshaft from when I ran my Schiada ski race boat without one. Can't say that's what caused it, but I took it as a lesson.
    Custom 2 piece crank, nice, lol. I've seen those with harmonic balancers on them also though.