Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blown engines

WESTERNAERO

Blown engines

Do you run a harmonic balancer on your roots blown motor? I told someone a a marine shop that I don't run a balancer and he looked at me like I was nuts. I tried to explain to him that the blower belt soaks up the harmonics and I think he thought I was full of shit.
    Name:  No Balancer.JPG
Views: 460
Size:  97.8 KB
    No Balancer

No.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp shooter View Post
    no.

x2. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394987259.192187.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  88.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Do you run a harmonic balancer on your roots blown motor? I told someone a a marine shop that I don't run a balancer and he looked at me like I was nuts. I tried to explain to him that the blower belt soaks up the harmonics and I think he thought I was full of shit.
    Name:  No Balancer.JPG
Views: 460
Size:  97.8 KB
    No Balancer
    That is a nice timing cover!!! Did you make that one? Gear drive? Any more pics of it?
    "I want to roll with my brother Joe" - Joe Bateman - January 29, 1950 ~ November 27, 2013

Same, since 1992 with no issues.

Wizbang was telling me about an RCD Crank Support that utilizes an ATI Super Damper, but it is not a standard damper. I can’t find any info on it, but I think the hub was made from either 4130 or 4340 and double keyed.

With a real blower, making real boost, most dampers can’t handle the stress and will split at the hub.

(old pic taken on the day I got it, circa 2007)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I want to roll with my brother Joe" - Joe Bateman - January 29, 1950 ~ November 27, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Flusher View Post
    That is a nice timing cover!!! Did you make that one? Gear drive? Any more pics of it?
    Just found your Dimarco cruiser thread. Bad ass!

Wouldn't even consider not running one.

Calling one a HARMONIC "balancer" is a little misleading. You only use the term balancer if it has a counterweight for balancing. They do help control harmonics, but they are really TORSIONAL DAMPERS

Its a little complicated in a boat. If I was powering off the flywheel, I might me a little more apt to not run one, but I think I still would. Nobody ever hurt a crank by running one. Not sure you can say the same thing about not running one.

The ideal location for one in a snout driven boat is on the flywheel end. I recently purchased a set to do that.

Saying the belt cancels the harmonics or controls torsional twist rebound, could be said about anything running fan belts. I assure you that the Nascar boys are not looking at the belts as something that cancels harmonics, or controls torsional rebound, they are looking at the belts and everything they spin as just one more thing adding to the harmonics. Not only do the engines make more power with one, and the bearings last longer, but the belts survive much better as well. What does that tell you?
    Last edited by gn7; 03-19-2014 at 02:54 AM.

I have a custom, 2 piece crankshaft from when I ran my Schiada ski race boat without one. Can't say that's what caused it, but I took it as a lesson.

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    I have a custom, 2 piece crankshaft from when I ran my Schiada ski race boat without one. Can't say that's what caused it, but I took it as a lesson.
    Custom 2 piece crank, nice, lol. I've seen those with harmonic balancers on them also though.

Anybody ever use a dampner like this? GM outer machined, pressed on and welded to a CE3 adapter.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395373808.957431.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  69.1 KB