Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

correct angle for a drive shaft with 2 joints

Ok iam a ? for some sound advice , once my drive is installed , the question is aim running a drive shaft with 1350 u jints on both ends one on the flywheel side one on the drive side, i know a lot of guys use a solid input shaft with no u joint, but i don't have that set up , so i do know the u joints can not be in a straight line they like a little angle. What is the right angle ?
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Name:  IMG_5495.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  58.9 KBthis is what i have
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

WESTERNAERO
    Nice wagon....

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Nice wagon....
    wagon ? doesn't every one have a v-drive cart like that ? lol
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    Ok iam a ? for some sound advice , once my drive is installed , the question is aim running a drive shaft with 1350 u jints on both ends one on the flywheel side one on the drive side, i know a lot of guys use a solid input shaft with no u joint, but i don't have that set up , so i do know the u joints can not be in a straight line they like a little angle. What is the right angle ?
    Max 7 degrees minimum 2 degrees .......

WESTERNAERO
    What Mitch said........

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    joe should one be up one degree and the other down one degree ? so the motor sits kind of level to the stringers?
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

joe should one be up one degree and the other down one degree ? so the motor sits kind of level to the stringers?
    V Drive 90 degrees to the stringers , 2 degrees minimum drive shaft rise to the engine ,I would set the engine at the same rake as the drive shaft.

V Drive 90 degrees to the stringers , 2 degrees minimum drive shaft rise to the engine ,I would set the engine at the same rake as the drive shaft.
    Are you suggesting he remounts his V drive, including resetting his strut, and possibly moving one if not both if need be? V drive angle trumps the prop shaft angle and strut placement?

If I have a Biesemeyer with a 7* strut/shaft angle, how do I get the top shaft of a 10* box parallel to, or the mounting flange 90* to the stringers?
    Last edited by gn7; 03-06-2014 at 03:05 PM.

, so i do know the u joints can not be in a straight line they like a little angle. What is the right angle ?
    Straight inline being a problem is a myth. The joints would out last your next 5 cars and 3 boats.
    Think about it, if the joints we dead inline, nothing moves, including the needles everyone seems to think would fail, supposedly from lack of lube or some such nonsense. You wouldn't need lube. You wash the lube out and run it just fine. Nothing is moving. You could weld the u joint to the yokes and it would work fine.
    1* is not as great, but it beats 25 all to hell. I can find you dozens of pictures u joint failure due to excessive angle in manufacture's tech bulletins and , you can't find me one due to lack of angle.
    Last edited by gn7; 03-06-2014 at 03:21 PM.