Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by niceguyeddie View Post
    I also figure that even if I have to buy new tools like I did with my recent project (ball joint service kit), it beats paying someone labor. Now I have the tool to do it again someday.

Yup, when I built my first Harley around 1986 I bought some SNAP ON brand tools for the compensator nut/tranny input shaft seal/primary drive system... BIG stuff, 3/4" drive (sockets, removable handle breaker bar, removable handle wrenches) and it seemed like a TON of money at the time but 25+ years later I have used those tools MANY times for my second harley build and many other tractor projects and such...

AND I can/could say that I built them all by myself...

A balljoint service kit is absolutely a handy kit to have in your toolbox...
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

My dad didn't even change his own oil but I loved all things mechanical so I "experimented" until I learned some things by trial and error. As my sons were growing up, I built a handful of Camaros and they thought I was really something. Since that time, they learned so much more than I'll ever know that I'm only allowed to sweep in their shop while they build engines. They have their own dyno room and build everything for our boats, drag cars, etc. in house. Here's one corner of their shop.

Name:  Engines1.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  139.0 KB
    The best things in life aren't things!

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

Name:  Engines1.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  139.0 KB
    I think I recognize Dr Frankenstein, Jessica, Fat Sam and Bannister.

Quote Originally Posted by hoofy View Post
    My dad owned a small trucking company (25 trucks ) he had a part time mechanic but did most of his own maintenance. I just grew up around vehicle maintenance.

I worked for C/F for 14 years as a truck mechanic and then went into management. Worked at Rio Hondo college part time as a tuck mechanic instructor and a few years as crew chief on my friends alcohol funny car. Hung out at Ak Miller's garage when I was a teenager.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

On Slauson around Passons?

Ak Miller's garage was on Slauson one block west of Passions at Serapis.

Quote Originally Posted by RVRKID View Post
    As far as oil changes on our cars, I take them in because you don't really save anything by doing it yourself nowadays
    I do my own oil changes because I like topping off the new oil filter before installing and I like knowing I tightened not only the pan nut (not stripping it) but also the filter myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    I do my own oil changes because I like topping off the new oil filter before installing and I like knowing I tightened not only the pan nut (not stripping it) but also the filter myself.
    same reason I do also, you forgot to mention the lubricant engineer's mind is about 10% on your car and 90% on whatever 18 yo's think about.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

I build my own stuff. Started out slow and kept my eyes on the guys that knew what they were doing. (Pro stock, comp elim, NASCAR, etc.) Pride and thinking you know it all will ruin you in the early stages of learning to be an engine builder. Keep your eyes open and be as observant as possible in the pro pits.
    Now I can build an engine that makes power and lives. It ain't rocket science. But, if you knew anything about rocket science, you would know that rocket science isn't rocket science either.

Quote Originally Posted by hoofy View Post
    Ak Miller's garage was on Slauson one block west of Passions at Serapis.

Still is...