Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Bob was too busy in the Sandbar to notice. :p

CH3NO2
    Actually I posted in the V drive forum and never saw it. Of course, I wasn't looking for it either.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Except Wayne's...
    Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    Its still there, you just can't see it

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner1984 View Post
    Personally for me, I do not know the first thing about engines. Unfortunately, I have to take the boat and car to a shop whenever something needs to be done.

I wish they offered auto shop at my high school lol.

Thinking of taking a class at a local CC to start learning about them. I hate that I have to take the boat in for an oil change or simple services.
    I tried a little DIY project last year and it did not turn out very well lol.

So who here does their own Engine work whether it be boat or car?
    Where did you learn to work on the engine?
    Do you do your own boat maintenance?
    I do all my own, on all my shit. Mainly because all my stuff is old and I can't afford new stuff, and it constantly needs work

My Dad built engines for many of the Landspeed racers in the late 50's through the early 70's. He was given 8 of the first GM 265ci motors when GM first came out with them in 54 or 55. He was allowed to modify 4 of them any way he wanted. the other 4 had specific criteria he could change/not change. He put a lot of guys in the 200 MPH club over the next 10 years by de-stroking it to 258 inches, thus running it in the "under 260ci" classes. I was hooked from an early age. Had a Die grinder in my hand at 9 (Pops was big into head work). By 19 I had built a 440 for a buddy's 69 charger (we did 129 on the airport runway one night ), and a 302 for a friends Bronco (which he finally grenaded), that won a couple sand drag races. I made some descent money building cylinder heads up to about the age of 30 (then I had to get a real job ). I did the motor in my boat a couple years ago (twice ), and it runs very good.

I do all my own maintenance, although my ability stops when it comes to the outdrive, and anything beyond changing the oil. Transmissions as well.. I have no clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    Seriously fuck a duck

My dad owned a small trucking company (25 trucks ) he had a part time mechanic but did most of his own maintenance. I just grew up around vehicle maintenance.

I worked for C/F for 14 years as a truck mechanic and then went into management. Worked at Rio Hondo college part time as a tuck mechanic instructor and a few years as crew chief on my friends alcohol funny car. Hung out at Ak Miller's garage when I was a teenager.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Don't tell them that!!'

Don't listen to him. Its voodoo black magic stuff and not for amateurs. Its top secret stuff handed down generation to generation. In the wrong hands it can be lethal.
    Does this mean you are going to start building for paying customers???
    Tommy

"So as through a glass, and darkly
    The age long strife I see
    Where I fought in many guises,
    Many names, but always me."

Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    I build engines(most for boats, but some other various racing engines, as well as high performance street engines). It's not rocket science but requires attention to detail and a certain amount of knowledge. I got interested when I was a kid and my dad used to help Lou Brummett racing at the boat marathons. Louis Unser was building his engines back then, and "Unser" was a household name around racing, and I met him on one of my many visits to the shop. My family never owned a boat, but as soon as I bought my first one, I have never been without one.
    Weren't we talking about a class on the basics of engine building a couple years ago? What ever happened with that?

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Does this mean you are going to start building for paying customers???
    Never. Not for love or money, friends or enemies.

Working on Engines

Neither are allowed in my garage, let alone on my boat.
    Wix racing is a great filter, one of the very best, if your name is Rick Hendricks, or Roger Penske and you change your oil every 500 miles. Otherwise, its probably worse than a Fram.
    I ran a wix racing in the k-034, but did also change the oil everyday. Great filters. Although, with the new motor the oil doesn't milk up like it did before, so we may race on the same oil all weekend depending.. We'll see

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.K034 View Post
    I ran a wix racing in the k-034, but did also change the oil everyday. Great filters. Although, with the new motor the oil doesn't milk up like it did before, so we may race on the same oil all weekend depending.. We'll see
    That's what can happen when you have a woman for a crew chief.

see you tomorrow. We can talk filters

That's what can happen when you have a woman for a crew chief.

see you tomorrow. We can talk filters
    What the hell are you trying to say, Bob? Lol. See you tomorrow.