Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Engine Popularity?

A friend of mine is building a sand car and wants to put a 426 hemi in it, all aluminum supposedly. I was arguing why not go LS platform as it seems most are built this way presently.
    We banter back and forth about engine popularity all the time in cars boats and trucks.
    So my question is what is the most popular engine base ever( for all applications)? Admittedly I don't know very much about them, but I suspect it is the "Big Block Chevrolet".

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    A friend of mine is building a sand car and wants to put a 426 hemi in it, all aluminum supposedly. I was arguing why not go LS platform as it seems most are built this way presently.
    We banter back and forth about engine popularity all the time in cars boats and trucks.
    So my question is what is the most popular engine base ever( for all applications)? Admittedly I don't know very much about them, but I suspect it is the "Big Block Chevrolet".

CH3NO2
    I would tend to agree with you on the BBC.............interesting that the new 454's are actually small blocks and apparently making 700HP and up right out of the box

I think it is definitely BBC. Hemi's are great engines, but BBC's are easier to find reasonably priced parts for. With all the boating events I am able to attend, It isn't that common to see a Hemi in a boat (not including TAF and TFH).
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    "I Love Haters" - Its not a frame of mind for us...IT'S A LIFE STYLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbound View Post
    God himself owns a twin turbo Schiada V-Drive.

Most popular ever would be the small block Chevrolet .

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Thanks, I knew it would be a toss up between them.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Without a doubt, sbc.

Another ?, is the LS platform SB, BB or neither?

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Another ?, is the LS platform SB, BB or neither?

CH3NO2
    Neither, it is it's own deal. And probably the the best option for many types of toys.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Neither, it is it's own deal. And probably the the best option for many types of toys.
    Thanks!

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

To me popularity depends on application Most common. Chevy 350 for sure. Simple/poor man's hot rod reliable motor.

Sand cars... LS (all generations), subaru turbo motors (my choice),

Boats... BBC, 10 yrs ago sbc, 20 and 30 yrs ago 460 ' s

Ur buddy is not wrong for wanting to go hemi. It's just not a go to motor in the sand car industry but neither was the Northstar v8 but that proved to be the go to motor for many yes before the LS stuff became popular and affordable.