Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 314joey View Post
    With the other sites and couple of the new boating web-sites (won't mention them) starting up, what if any are your plans to "expand" Hotboat.com outside of the Southwest area.
    I think I should move to FL and get it rocking

Sent from my Bat Cave

Quote Originally Posted by 314joey View Post
    With the other sites and couple of the new boating web-sites (won't mention them) starting up, what if any are your plans to "expand" Hotboat.com outside of the Southwest area.
    Good question. We've been a little hit and miss over the past year or so. LOTO and a little from the Florida boat shows were really our only ventures out of the West. I am planning more Midwest and East trips this year, including LOTO and several others that are still in the works. The sooner we get a little traction here, the sooner we can venture more outside our comfort zone

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    We get letters, #5:

"With all the members that have signed up over the last year, does it bother you at all that it seems to be the same 5-8 members posting in the sandbar hour after hour, day after day?

And is there any way to change this and get other members posting up?"

Interesting question. The numbers of lurkers on the site daily is actually quite high. Most seem to lurk around (which is fine) but do not post. So it strikes me as odd when I get a question like this. Yes, we have signed up a lot of new members. But for some reason it seems many of them do not post. Unfortunately I cannot answer why. Maybe they're waiting to see if anyone else will post first?

Unfortunately I do not have an answer to your question.

Thank you,
    HB
    I will take a shot at this for you Vic, but don't take it as a slam, it IS NOT. Its a personal observation of the undeniable facts.
    YOU are on the inside. You can't see the forest because the trees are in you way. All sites, regardless the "topic theme" of the site have their core group. However, some websites that have a "topic theme" really have very little discussion on that topic. Odd but true. This not the only boat site that functions this way, and its not hard to tell that this site is really more of an off shoot of THAT website, than other boating sites, or even its "name sake" site. This NOT that HotBoat.com. I know, I was a member too. There may some similarities in the forum you and others hung out in, but that was ONE forum on that site. Same could be said for PB today. There are those that never venture out of Open Water there. But is NOT the most popular and most posted in forum there. There is more talk about boats, from people that own boats on that site and others, than all the non boat discussion COMBINED!
    Now go look at the "other" site and see the amount of Lounge Lizards posting. Then look in the forums talking about boats. See any similarities?

This site functions more as a Facebook page than a boating theme website. Its the direction the owners and original members that left the other site took it.
    Question is WHY was this site started? Because you liked the other site, just not some the people on it? Or some of the content that was allowed? Too much negativity? What ever the reason, it was YOUR reason and that's COOL. But don't expect it to be any different except you are in control of the language, politics, pictures, etc. Other than that, ITS THE SAME DAMN SITE! Different players in a different party, but its still an on line party. Its social chat room, for a core clique.

It is what you choose to make it.
    Last edited by gn7; 03-04-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I will take a shot at this for you Vic, but don't take it as a slam, it IS NOT. Its a personal observation of the undeniable facts.
    YOU are on the inside. You can't see the forest because the trees are in you way. All sites, regardless the "topic theme" of the site have their core group. However, some websites that have a "topic theme" really have very little discussion on that topic. Odd but true. This not the only boat site that functions this way, and its not hard to tell that this site is really more of an off shoot of THAT website, than other boating sites, or even its "name sake" site. This NOT that HotBoat.com. I know, I was a member too. There may some similarities in the forum you and others hung out in, but that was ONE forum on that site. Same could be said for PB today. There are those that never venture out of Open Water there. But is NOT the most popular and most posted in forum there. There is more talk about boats, from people that own boats on that site and others, than all the non boat discussion COMBINED!
    Now go look at the "other" site and see the amount of Lounge Lizards posting. Then look in the forums talking about boats. See any similarities?

This site functions more as a Facebook page than a boating theme website. Its the direction the owners and original members that left the other site took it.
    Question is WHY was this site started? Because you liked the other site, just not some the people on it? Or some of the content that was allowed? Too much negativity? What ever the reason, it was YOUR reason and that's COOL. But don't expect it to be any different except you are in control of the language, politics, pictures, etc. Other than that, ITS THE SAME DAMN SITE! Different players in a different party, but its still an on line party. Its social chat room, for a core clique.

I think Bob is right on this.

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    I think Bob is right on this.
    I think Bob is sorta right on this.

I guess that's the bottom line Bob. But it isn't what I choose to make it, its what you choose to make it. You can choose to share your experiences here, or not. That choice is yours, not mine.

And please don't forget, we're only just over a year old. People are still finding their way.

As to the why? I started this site because I didn't really like most of the other ones. So I wanted to do something a little different. Maybe that isn't too evident now, but that is the long term goal. If I had endless resources and capital, it would come to fruition sooner vs later.

I can take criticism Bob. I'm not perfect. And by no means am I any sort of internet wizard. Just a sorta regular guy who loves boating, and doing my best to make this place a nice place to hang out for anyone who chooses to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    I guess that's the bottom line Bob. But it isn't what I choose to make it, its what you choose to make it. You can choose to share your experiences here, or not. That choice is yours, not mine.

And please don't forget, we're only just over a year old. People are still finding their way.

As to the why? I started this site because I didn't really like most of the other ones. So I wanted to do something a little different. Maybe that isn't too evident now, but that is the long term goal. If I had endless resources and capital, it would come to fruition sooner vs later.

I can take criticism Bob. I'm not perfect. And by no means am I any sort of internet wizard. Just a sorta regular guy who loves boating, and doing my best to make this place a nice place to hang out for anyone who chooses to do so.
    Isn't boating about 1) boats; 2) socializing?

IMO: It almost sounds like some people want a "boat building" technical only website instead of a "boating" website. If people venture out on this site they can see it has plenty of both.

Forums are as strong as the content their members add to the site.
    You want more boat builds? Post it
    You want more socializing? Post it
    You want more boating content? Post it
    You want more pics? Post it
    You want "it" post "it". It's that simple.

Just stop sitting there behind your keyboard complaining that you're not getting what you want...complaining isn't going to change it. Bring what you want to the forum and people will appreciate you more for it.

Sent from my Bat Cave

The official hotboat.com "We get letters" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Thanks for the compliment...I'm not good at taking them. But, I can dish them out like a champ!

I don't blame you for not letting me near her...she will be "changed" forever

On a serious note, what did you have to do to convince her to date you? That's a question I'm confident a lot of people want to know.

Sent from my Bat Cave
    Ur welcome. I jus asked her if she would like to meet . That easy.
    So now you and a lot people know
    Last edited by Milkmoney; 03-04-2014 at 12:11 PM.

I like the three Bs.................beer, bikinis and boats not necessarily in the order.

maybe this has been asked, but have you thought about a "like or thanks" button, it works on some and not on others.

While I am technically no longer a member of this site, I want to come on at least this once and say I could not disagree more with Bob here. There is a striking difference between this site and "the others" and that was why I liked being here so much. HB, just keep going with this, people come and go off the site as do people in and out of our lives. I think this is a great site, and as people come on board and find they have a knack for posting, and sharing experience and intelligence, this place will find it's own way. In the meantime...I think the site has a life of it's own...I wish it the best, that's for sure....best to you all.