Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    First quarter has been brutal with travel for work and kids Baseball is in full swing so my great plans to get some time on this boat have not worked out so well but i snuk away for a day and got the ski tow roughed in. Still need to do a little shapping on the base and rig up the mounting bolts but i like the look. This ski tow was part of a deal i got when i purchased my Sanger 16 years ago and I have been wanting to use it, glad to finally see it on a boat and off my shelf!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Took advantage of a bye weekend with Baseball and spent some time at Dad's shop working on the boat and hanging out with Dad. Got the cavatation rod seal housing in and all shaped and polished and finished my fab on the rudder brace. Wanted to use the original brace but did not want to just bolt it to angle bolted to the rails. I have never welded aluminum so what we thought this would be a good project! I am very happy that aluminum grinds easy because I had some ugly welds even after practicing on several scraps for a while... I love the way you can fill hole and notches and just grind and polish, I almost bought a new rudder brace because of all the holes that had been drilled in the original, no isses filled them up and she is looking great. next trip going to tackel Steering and foot overide build, getting closer and I love hanging in the shop with dad

Down to final weeks of baseball, bitter sweet as this is my youngest and his last year at a great league (Los Altos Cal Ripken) we have been there since 95' both boys and my daughter, but they are expanding so hopefully we can field enough older boys to fill a few teams next year... any way, got on some polishing, engine and trans mounts and wip guard and a floor brace.
    Making progress on the engine found some 049 heads, they are at the machine shop.

Steering post is done, I picked up a Morse dual rotary system a few years back from Andrew (River Games) when he was changing his 20' schiada steering. I liked the long post set up he had but wanted some more support for the rotary unit and to shorten up the post just a bit. Had my BIL build a bezel that will receive the post like a cup and let me push the post behind the dash and get a little more room but keep the look of the long post also help ancor the post. I also flipped the post from the original orientation, good thing my machinist works for beer. Going old school with the wheel it matches my Sanger, may have to go with a flater wheel once I sit in the boat or just loose 75lbs. The third piece in the shot is the base for my ski tow.

Spent a couple days up north working on the never ending project...

Foot pedal assemblies 90% done, my mock up worked great they feel good sitting in the boat. I was able to get all the Cav rods under the floor and have just a bit of the assembly showing. Need to shape and polish some aluminum and we should be good. By going under the floor I have to push the rod rather than pull it, so I need to build a bell crank that will pull as I push, should be easy and the bell crank will use the same mounting holes as my throttle assembly. I hate having a bunch of holes on the stringers so trying to multipurpose as many holes as possible. The boat had no plates to begin with when Spectra built her so I am going w/o a lock out on the cav plates and just having a down pedal.

Throttle assebly will be built out of 3/16 aluminum plate, bends wont be as tight but shape will be sililar and it will be cut down quite a bit probably only about 6 inches tall vs the 9" that it is now, I used 1/8 inch for the mock up.

The steering finally came together, I dont want to see any of cabel mounts and went back and forth on using a Splash well mount on the outside of the stringer. I will have a floor in the back as well and need to mount it some how, so finally it worked out in my head (Dad's idea a month ago) use the mounts I have and run a piece of aluminum angel flat side up and mount the steering under and the floor to the top. It is right at the end of the floor so i still have access to inspect and get to bolts and nuts.

Next issue is i am still deciding on a Cam shaft and flopping back and forth on tunnel ram or single four. I had in my head the entore time to run the RAM but I did the same thing with my flat and ended up going with a single four, so simple runs up to 6k and it starts every time... I just dont know if i want to scre with the tunnel ram even thouh they really look cool.

Coming along nicely, thank you for the updates and pics.

one step closer, still the slowest guy around rigging this thing... built my go pedal base out of 1/4"ended up with a real nice bend, also all mock up on engine, trans mounts done now just shape and polish. I set up a little different than I have in the past, instead of using just on piece of angle to attach to the mounts we are using two and not bolting to the bottom of teh angle but thru the side, backing it up with a 5/16 plate against the stringer.. a little over kill but once its shapped and polished hoping it will look beefy. Next trip Looking to start setting up mechanicals that will run off the inside transom, fuel pump, bilge, and filters, and run steering cables and finish that once and for all.

I thought that shaping the angle brackets was going to be a bear, turned out to be not so bad. Found some 3" flapper disks at McFadden Dale for small angle grinder, these work really nice as you can control your speed much better than with a 4" grinder or bench grinder. Only a few hours this past weekend to work but hoping to finish them up next weekend, get the radiuses all around and polish

I spent way more time than I anticipated on finishing the angle brackets up but they are done and look like I wanted them to. 1 step closer!

No Travel this week for the first time in 7 weeks!!!!! No coaching!!!! I have a project planned for every night this week, Monday night Finish cleaning up my sterring helm and brace, Check it off the list!