Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Tenders

Quote Originally Posted by Cigalert View Post
    This one stated it shuts off after its full. Is that not the case?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    I was just talkin about trickle chargers in general. If it shuts off completey all good.

I decided to put a tender on the boat after I pulled my stupid. I have 2 Interstate Deep Cycle SRM-24's.

I connected 1 battery and put my switch to "all". And most important...switched off the breaker for the stereo.

Here is the tender...

Anyone have any experience with these? Pros/cons/problems?
    I used one of these back in the 90's. After many years I realized it was better not to use it and simply disconnecting the batteries while not using them worked best.

Yes it shuts off after its charged.

I have this unit on my motorcycle. It works well and shuts off when it is done charging. It actually goes into the storage mode.

I have used these on my batteries for my jeep and boat for many years. This brand no problem. The other brands quit. I leave the switch to "off" and one connected to each battery. Never had a battery problem.

I have probably 9 of the battery tenders hooked up to all the different toys and have never had an issue. My boat is in storage at the river and I leave it with 2 tenders hooked up and my batteries are always charged whenever I go.

I switched to a battery tender with "Desulfation" feature a couple of years ago and my batteries seem to be doing better than when I had just a straight tender attached.

I keep a 2A charger connected to both batteries in the boat and the same charger connected to the battery in the Harley and both seem to always be topped off and ready to go. I used a standard tender on my last Harley Battery and got 8 years out of the original factory battery.......not too bad if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by Paul65K View Post
    I switched to a battery tender with "Desulfation" feature a couple of years ago and my batteries seem to be doing better than when I had just a straight tender attached.

I keep a 2A charger connected to both batteries in the boat and the same charger connected to the battery in the Harley and both seem to always be topped off and ready to go. I used a standard tender on my last Harley Battery and got 8 years out of the original factory battery.......not too bad if you ask me
    Desulfation feature, that's interesting. Another way of saying equalize charge I'm guessing. The only problem with commercial batteries is there isn't enough room at the bottom of the cell to handle much lead sulfate, so in a short amount of time you'll end up with a short Industrial batteries typically have inches in this area and can easily handle repetitive equalize charges to shake off the iron sulfate without causing problems.

I may try a tender on my Harley. 2 batteries now in 2 years and probably only 3 rides

Back in the 90's I had to replace the Harley battery every year and I rode it weekly for most of the year. After about 3 times, I got sick of it and after reading a lot about how they work, I got a Battery Tender like the one pictured. The first time I got 3 years out of the same kind of battery with the same type of use. I was so impressed with how well it worked that I put them on everything I had sitting around and all the other bikes, cars, boats and other toys I was working on for others. I even gave these things as gifts. Later, when HD updated my battery to a gel type, I had to switch to a smaller Battery Tender that works a bit differently. Same GREAT results. Still using the type pictured on the boat and on the 68 vw bug battery sitting on the bench for 2 years during the restore. I dont remember any of what I read about them, how they work, and I couldnt carry a conversation about how batteries or tenders function. Maybe batteries have improved and that accounts for my results but I seriously doubt that. My opinion is just that and based on my own experience.
    I dont NO much.
    I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    Favorite fortune cookie: Character is who you are when no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Desulfation feature, that's interesting. Another way of saying equalize charge I'm guessing. The only problem with commercial batteries is there isn't enough room at the bottom of the cell to handle much lead sulfate, so in a short amount of time you'll end up with a short Industrial batteries typically have inches in this area and can easily handle repetitive equalize charges to shake off the iron sulfate without causing problems.

I may try a tender on my Harley. 2 batteries now in 2 years and probably only 3 rides
    Here's the one I use... http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-...ps/bm2012.html