Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    These things are so over priced it's mind boggling.

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp shooter View Post
    these things are so over priced it's mind boggling.
    x's 2...........

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    Also agree to that

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellCarl View Post
    So wait, the 520 to 525 step is $15K? $3K per pony sounds a tad bit high...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul65K View Post
    I really don't know all the details but I have been told that the 520 will cost quite a bit more to rig as it is "Fly by wire" and the cost differential is much closer when this is taken into account.....anyone know what those numbers are??
    I was a Nordic today and that's the prices I was told. As for rigging if you choose the tds it is about $3000 more.

GRADS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    x's 2...........
    They are trying to price out the jet boat crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Menace Marine View Post
    525 is going away to be replaced by the 540. I admit it is strange to see all these very similar motors and then nothing in between the 700 and 1100. The 850 is still available I believe but only until they sell them all. Last I heard there were still a few left over. But I guess sales dictate production and the 500 to 700 hp market is huge and very competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    There is more going on with the engines than just HP.
    Look at the front accessory drive package alone on the engines that will be the "base" engines once 525 EFI as no more and the 520 and 540 are the lowest cost of the Merc Racing engines. YOU REALLY THINK THE ACCESSORY DRIVE PACKAGE IS THE ONLY THING DIFFERENT BETWEEN THEM????
    I shutter even calling those 2 Merc RACING. More like Mercruser black motors.
    The cost is nothing more than raping anybody that can't build an engine or rig a boat. If you can't afford it, you probably shouldn't be armed with it, and certainly don't need it. So if you feel you must have it, bend over and lube up.

My guess...
    It is all about financing....
    If you were a bank, which option would you want?
    Mercury Racing vs Bob's Engine and Fence Building Company

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    Lol!! Yeah, those jetboat guys are all broke. Name:  stacker.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  86.3 KBName:  stacker2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  86.2 KBName:  toms garage.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  109.4 KB

After reading the specs of all these engines, here's how I see it: the 525 and 565 are superfluous.

The 520 makes sense, and the 540 is a 520 with headers...so that makes sense as well. The 600 also makes sense for folks who really *want* a supercharger, and the extra power.

The 525 and 565 are not necessary. But even reading the Mercury site, they don't speak "well" of the 525 either.

The other thing is the 520, 540, and 565 (can't find specs for the 525) all have the same CR. The difference between the 540 and 565 is 10 CI (523 vs 533 cid) - although, the 540 is a large bore/shorter stroke than the 565, so if the 540 made the same specific horsepower as the 565, it'd be 555 hp. But, the 540 specifies 87 oct and the 565 specifies 89 oct; so I assume the 540 is slightly less aggressive on the timing.
    Last edited by FormulaZR; 02-14-2014 at 09:43 PM.

I think the fuel requirement of the 565 is the result of dynamic compression brought on by 4.25 stroke verses the 4.00. I am thinking the corresponding valve timing to go along with stroke, creates more cranking pressure than the 540. (did you follow that grads?)

You can bet your ass there is a matching cam change and possibly a intake throttle body change on the 540 to along with the exhaust manifold change from the 520.

Its just what you see at work here.