Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LuauLounge View Post
    My guess...
    It is all about financing....
    If you were a bank, which option would you want?
    Mercury Racing vs Bob's Engine and Fence Building Company
    I have already checked that out. I can drop an engine off at a boat builder and have no problem getting the boat financed. You think the banks know all about Pfaff, Teague, or GT.
    Now buying an unrigged bare hull, that's another story. You'll need cash or a personal credit line.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    Lol!! Yeah, those jetboat guys are all broke. Attachment 33474
    ..................and - if either of those were jets, it would help make your point.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I think the fuel requirement of the 565 is the result of dynamic compression brought on by 4.25 stroke verses the 4.00. I am thinking the corresponding valve timing to go along with stroke, creates more cranking pressure than the 540. (did you follow that grads?)
    Good point, I forgot to consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    You can bet your ass there is a matching cam change and possibly a intake throttle body change on the 540 to along with the exhaust manifold change from the 520.
    I wonder. On the outside looking in, it's sometime hard for me to understand why the Mercury engines are so expensive. On the website/sellsheet, there is very little information provided. I'd love to know the composition of the rotating assembly, cam, and intake/TB specs.
    Last edited by FormulaZR; 02-15-2014 at 12:03 AM.

GRADS
    ....And showing that you spend more on your trailer than the two boats in it doesn't help either.
    Quote Originally Posted by FormulaZR View Post
    ..................and - if either of those were jets, it would help make your point.

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    ....And showing that you spend more on your trailer than the two boats in it doesn't help either.
    You I/O guys irritate me sometimes. But, in this case - you *might* have a point.

Good point, I forgot to consider that.

I wonder. On the outside looking in, it's sometime hard for me to understand why the Mercury engine are so expensive. On the website/sellsheet, there is very little information provided. I'd love to know the composition of the rotating assembly, cam, and intake/TB specs.
    Its not Mercury as in Mercruiser that is so expensive, although even a black Mercruiser is way over priced. But the Merc "RACING" blue engines re-define rape.
    The industry is not what it was. I saw it coming when Schuster started laying up Tahiti hulls as fast as the resin would set up and standing hulls on their transoms in the shop waiting for a customer to walk in. Choose your interior and engine and 4 days later you were on the water. 5500 out the door. 90% of them were crate Olds engines with a few Harman marine 427 or 454s with a oil pan change and some plumbing changes to make them work. The crate engines from GM were dirt cheap. And they sold a zillion of them to every person that wanted a boat but need instructions included when he bought a screwdriver. And it only got worse and worse.
    You wanted to go 100 in 1968, you better know how to build a boat. Now, you need to know how to write a check.

I chuckle at the thought that Merc gets that kind of money for a warranty. That's all they are buying.
    Once I learned what was being used in the 1350/1650 twin cam engine, it pretty much told you whats NOT in the 565 or 600, let alone the 520 and 540.

This is the crank in the 1350/1650. I assure you, its NOT a Sonny Bryant or Winberg.
    I am almost certain it is a Lunati. Its most likely a "Pro" but Merc's replacement cost is $6000.00 A Lunati Pro crank is about 1700.00
    A Sonny Bryant EN30B billet is less than 4000.00 LIST!! and nobody pays list!!
    The rods are even worse, in that I'am pretty sure they are Lunati H beam IMPORT rods!!!
    The pistons are 476 apiece, head gasket is 373 EA, and these are the "online discount" prices.

For 6000 this should look like jewelry.
    Name:  Crank.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  248.3 KB

This is a Sonny Bryant billet.
    ANY QUESTIONS?
    Name:  Bryant crank.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  51.3 KB
    Last edited by gn7; 02-14-2014 at 11:57 PM.

If you're thinking about installing a new 500+HP engine in a new boat (with a 2013 or 2014 HIN) your choices are extremely limited -- only three marine engine manufacturers currently have emission certified engines over 500 HP (Mercury, Ilmor and Teague). For the past couple of years other independent engine builders have continued to build and sell new 500+ HP engines in violation of EPA and CARB regulations on the 'down-low'. Up until recently, enforcement has been very minimal, but that is changing and small engine builders are beginning to be checked and when they are found in violation the fines are hefty, so much so that they would likely put them out of business. Don't think for a minute that Mercury Racing isn't getting a premium price for that certification. If you buy a new boat with a non-emissions certified new engine, the buyer is likely to have an issue/problem when it comes time to register the vessel (more states are beginning to crack down at time of registration). Unless the engine is specifically designated for racing/competition only, it better have the low-emissions certification sticker and paperwork to go with it.

If you read Grad's comments during the last circle boat race "live stream" you'd realize he doesn't know the difference....

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    And what trailer would that be...?

Quote Originally Posted by Havasuing View Post
    If you're thinking about installing a new 500+HP engine in a new boat (with a 2013 or 2014 HIN) your choices are extremely limited -- only three marine engine manufacturers currently have emission certified engines over 500 HP (Mercury, Ilmor and Teague). For the past couple of years other independent engine builders have continued to build and sell new 500+ HP engines in violation of EPA and CARB regulations on the 'down-low'. Up until recently, enforcement has been very minimal, but that is changing and small engine builders are beginning to be checked and when they are found in violation the fines are hefty, so much so that they would likely put them out of business. Don't think for a minute that Mercury Racing isn't getting a premium price for that certification. If you buy a new boat with a non-emissions certified new engine, the buyer is likely to have an issue/problem when it comes time to register the vessel (more states are beginning to crack down at time of registration). Unless the engine is specifically designated for racing/competition only, it better have the low-emissions certification sticker and paperwork to go with it.
    You do realize that ONLY applies to boats sold and registered in CALIF. and only applies to engine UNDER a certain power. It was originally under 500, it has been raised to under 600. You will notice the 600 and up Merc Racing ARE NOT EPA and CARB certified, because their is no certification for 600 and up engines. There are EPA standards that cover all 50 states, but they are weak compared to the CARB emission standards. Virtually any EFI engine can meet the EPA standards.
    So Phaff, GT, and every other Tom Dick and Harry with a tool box can sell 600+ engines all he likes.
    For the cost of a Merc 565, I can easily afford to buy 1000HP from damn near anybody else.

But for now, the EASIEST way around it is get out your own tool box and built it yourself. There NO LAW that states the boat has to meet any regs, only that the boat builders cannot sell boats with non certified engines. Says nothing about what I can build.
    Last edited by gn7; 02-15-2014 at 12:46 AM.