Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    The EPA marine engine emission law (although somewhat less strict than CARB regulations) is now effective in all 50 states, and whether the engine is able to pass the test or not must still go through the prescribed testing protocol in order to receive certification (regardless of horsepower). California was ahead of the curve in passing marine emission laws by a couple of years, but EPA has now caught up. The Teague series of engines (825, 985/1025, 1200 and 1335 HP) are CARB certified as low-emisssion (3 star) engines and approved for California sale. The Mercury Racing and Ilmor high horsepower engines fall into a different catgeory ('large' manufacturers as opposed to a 'small' builder like a GT, Pfaff, etc.) They are using emission "credits" accrued from their production of lower horsepower engines to allow the sale of the high performance products. It's way more complicated than it probably needs to be, but John McKnight at NMMA has a good handle on this and of course you can always call CARB at the El Monte office and ask for Jeff Lowery or Kevin Curley for specific questions, both are quite helpful. And you are correct -- homebuilt engines are an entirely different matter and are still unrestricted.

Very good info 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Very good info ��

Truly GOOD info would a be a recommendation as the lube you should use , and whether you grab your angles or just your knee caps when which Merc Racing engine box on your engine options at the dealer. Every customer is entitled to dinner, and show before checking the box.

Why isn't this thread in the Tech forum instead of the sandbox? Oh, I remember.
    At least ogshotgun should be happy. It is boat related.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Truly GOOD info would a be a recommendation as the lube you should use , and whether you grab your angles or just your knee caps when which Merc Racing engine box on your engine options at the dealer. Every customer is entitled to dinner, and show before checking the box.

Why isn't this thread in the Tech forum instead of the sandbox? Oh, I remember.
    At least ogshotgun should be happy. It is boat related.
    Good point, I'll move it

Quote Originally Posted by Havasuing View Post
    The EPA marine engine emission law (although somewhat less strict than CARB regulations) is now effective in all 50 states, and whether the engine is able to pass the test or not must still go through the prescribed testing protocol in order to receive certification (regardless of horsepower). California was ahead of the curve in passing marine emission laws by a couple of years, but EPA has now caught up. The Teague series of engines (825, 985/1025, 1200 and 1335 HP) are CARB certified as low-emisssion (3 star) engines and approved for California sale. The Mercury Racing and Ilmor high horsepower engines fall into a different catgeory ('large' manufacturers as opposed to a 'small' builder like a GT, Pfaff, etc.) They are using emission "credits" accrued from their production of lower horsepower engines to allow the sale of the high performance products. It's way more complicated than it probably needs to be, but John McKnight at NMMA has a good handle on this and of course you can always call CARB at the El Monte office and ask for Jeff Lowery or Kevin Curley for specific questions, both are quite helpful. And you are correct -- homebuilt engines are an entirely different matter and are still unrestricted.
    The are 6 ways to skin a cat, and half of them are done every day by engine builders selling engines for boats.
    There are loop holes in the law, and I have no doubt the gestapo will close them all in time. Its the American way to squeeze the little guy any way they can. Whether its a small builder, or a do it yourselfer. They will find a way to outlaw it. Its not the industry and sport it was in the 60s. The boats, the builders, and the people involved on both sides, builders and consumers have drastically changed. I look at this period as the "muscle car" period of the 60s. Before that you had to built a fast car, then you just wrote a check. Then they disappeared. We are currently in the "just write a check" phase in boating.

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Good point, I'll move it

There is no engine tech section is there?

I will agree they are expensive. However overpriced is a relative term. You can build more for less but the product isn't the only thing you are buying. Mercury sells the most over engineered motor on the market. I have driven and worked on a lot of different builders motors and it is hard to find issue with the mercury product. Their warranty, customer service, and dealer network are far superior to the competition. A warranty issue can be resolved just about anywhere not just at one shop. That is worth a lot to people and it shows when you look at mercury's sales. I can fix and build my own motors and there is no way I could afford the 1200 hp in my boat if it said mercury racing on it. However as a shop owner I can certainly see the appeal of their products. I get far less complaints of any kind in regards to the blur motors as I do with all other builders motors combined. Is it worth the extra money? That's for the individual to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Menace Marine View Post
    I will agree they are expensive. However overpriced is a relative term. You can build more for less but the product isn't the only thing you are buying. Mercury sells the most over engineered motor on the market. I have driven and worked on a lot of different builders motors and it is hard to find issue with the mercury product. Their warranty, customer service, and dealer network are far superior to the competition. A warranty issue can be resolved just about anywhere not just at one shop. That is worth a lot to people and it shows when you look at mercury's sales. I can fix and build my own motors and there is no way I could afford the 1200 hp in my boat if it said mercury racing on it. However as a shop owner I can certainly see the appeal of their products. I get far less complaints of any kind in regards to the blur motors as I do with all other builders motors combined. Is it worth the extra money? That's for the individual to decide.

Like I said, you are buying a warranty. albeit a damn good warranty. You can throw in customers service and nationwide network in there as well. Its the prime factor in what created the Mercury dynasty they enjoy today. Not power. Not price.

Most over engineered? Now that's a relative term.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    There is no engine tech section is there?
    Your in it. Its all encompassing.
    helicopters, cameras, phones, trucks, cars, motorcycles, food, booze, and yes, the occasional boat and engine.

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Your in it. Its all encompassing.
    helicopters, cameras, phones, trucks, cars, motorcycles, food, booze, and yes, the occasional boat and engine.
    Wouldn't it make more sense for the tech section to be:

V-drives
    Big Baller Inboards
    Jets
    Eggbeaters
    Engines
    Drives
    Props
    P.O.S. wave makers
    Lake lice