Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Are you saying that box of what looks forgings isn't forgings?
    Of course they are forging
    Quote Originally Posted by SFV2RVR View Post
    Ya really!
    Cool, can I borrow it.
    Why wouldn't they be close? Marc's Schiada is running most of the hardware you would see in an enduro or ski race boat, just WAY prettier.
    I guess that all that matters, Should work then. What was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Of course they are forging

Cool, can I borrow it.

I guess that all that matters, Should work then. What was I thinking?
    No you can't borrow it. Let's here your answer on why they wouldn't be similar props? Educate me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    This thread delivers
    Delivers what???
    The comedy that is unfolding right before you eyes wide shit.

I'l say this again, REAL SLOW. Those dies are EXPENSIVE. There is a minimum run to cover the setup at the mill. Nobody is going to hammer you 3 or 4 blanks, or its going to cost you a small fortune per blank. You have to make more than few props to more than a team or two to recover the money. HOW MANY TEAMS DO YOU KNOW USING THEM???
    Now MAYBE Ron is a very forward looking with a lot of confidence he can move that many props to justify the cost. Right now, I don't see it, but I have been wrong before. But when I talked to Ron, he was doing props for Tony's K and I couldn't even tell you they were CNC'd, very possibly could have been. But I pretty certain they were welded. When I spoke with him, he was more capable of making a CNC's prop from a trace mapping of my prop, but it would be welded.

Now maybe SFV2R2R is more connected than I am, and has lunch 3 times a week with Ron and is more in the know. Maybe things have changed. MAYBE

But do you think you could CNC me a prop from the same blanks Ron used on SFV2R2R Schiada?? Because Ron sure as fuck couldn't
    Last edited by gn7; 04-10-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SFV2RVR View Post
    No you can't borrow it. Let's here your answer on why they wouldn't be similar props? Educate me.
    Whats wrong here

The comedy that is unfolding right before you eyes wide shit.

I say this again, REAL SLOW. Those dies are EXPENSIVE. There is a minimum run to cover the setup are the mill. Nobody is going to hammer you 3 or 4 blank, or its going to cist you a small fortune per blank. You have to make more than few props to more a team or two to recover the money. Now MAYBE Ron is a very forward looking with a lot of confidence he can move that many props to justify the cost. Right now, I don't see it, but I have been wrong before. But when I talked to Ron, he was doing props for Tony's K and I couldn't even tell you they were CNC'd, very possibly could have been. But I pretty certain they were welded. When I spoke with him, he was more capable of making a CNC's prop from a trace mapping of my prop, but it would be welded.

Now maybe SFV2R2R is more coneected than I am, and has lunch 3 times a week with Ron and is more in the know. Maybe things have changed. MAYBE.

But do you think you could CNC me a prop from the same blanks Ron used on SFV2R2R Schiada?? Because Ron sure as fuck couldn't
    I actually only have lunch with him 2 days a week! All those forgings are the same thickness. He can make anything from Rankins SS props to my Schiada prop to Eddie Knox's TFH prop from them. The only new forging he had to buy to make a different prop for was Linder's Schiada SR22. It was like a 12x17 or something like that. All his new prop's that come out of that box of forgings are CNC'd and NOT WELDED.

Whats wrong here
    You not holding it?

If I made the forging dies for those blanks in the box I would have charged somewhere in the 25-30 thousand range, just by looking at the pic. Oh, and yes I know how to make forging dies, and injection molds, and investment cast molds, and blow molds, and hydro forming dies, and work holding tooling and fixtures. Blah, blah blah.
    Could I machine those blanks in the pic? Abso-fucking-lutely.
    For MY boat, or for SFV2R2R's

For MY boat, or for SFV2R2R's
    It's SFV2RVR. Thanks!

Okay, fine. Other than left and right hand rotation, what is different in the design?
    None. But its ANOTHER die, and ANOTHER minimum run. They haven't invented the CNC that can fix that. How many does he sell to teams needing right hand props. What's the recovery. Who has he sold props to so far.
    Like I said, things may have changed since I talked to him about a prop, and he was very interested in getting into circle boats, thanks mainly to Tony.
    If he did invest in a set of dies, kudos to him.

Does not change the failures that I have seen with his props, and the failure are in no way was a reflection of his product at all. When the outer edge of the blade peels off, it has nothing to do with how the prop was constructed. Heat possibly, but I more than little suspect it is more in the "tune" of the prop. I wouldn't even want to bet a dollar that the prop went untouched after Ron made them. I knew they went thru an additional surface treatment after Ron delivered them. Its possible that wasn't the only work done. If they weren't "tuned up", then its entirely possible that Ron simply made/duplicated what was given him.
    I have a prop tuned by Gibbs that is wicked fast, and I would consider using it for a kilo attempt. But I would NEVER stick it under the boat for a GN race. It would never finish a 20 lapper. If I gave to Ron to dup, and it failed, whos fault its that, mine or Rons?
    Last edited by gn7; 04-10-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Well if Marc's numbers are right, and he has sold 100 props to the drag guys and river guys, which I don't think would be hard to do, then he has almost double downed. So he's recouped his investment.
    Those numbers are straight from Joey and Ron's mouth!