Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    in agreement i guess the reason the problems are becoming more and more is ... my reason is the boats are making more power , being driven harder in rougher water..i have not heard of a forged prop throwing a ear
    Not always the case. I in the case of the top SS guys and the 44s props, it do to pushing the limits of the props "design" for lack of better term. Just like the SS prop shafts.

I looked at the 44 prop at the Thanksgiving race 2012, and it look like a prop that I MIGHT consider running in a kilo, but not a race. it was so thin it looked like I break the ends of the ears off by hand. The SS props are worse. Its all in the search for speed. The 44 prop was probably pushed a little too far. I think they were hopeing that between the material and heat treat, plus the secondary treatments it would work. Well, material and treatments can get you only so far. I think sure they backed off that a little and the blade is a wee bit thicker. In the case of the SS guys, they can only give up so much to make the prop live.
    Its like the shaft that failed Long Beach. That is the second shaft I witnessed the 80 boat fail in the time its ran, and the other was at Long Beach too. Probably has a little to do with the rougher water. But when you START with a 7/8 prop shaft, you have to accept that it can happen. Same with thinning the shit out of the blade. Sooner or later you are going to pay the price. 7/8 shaft CAN be only part of it. Has ANY body ever gun drilled one. Tapered or double tapered one? Hour glassed one? Reduced the diameter below 7/8 between the coupler and strut? Ti shaft? Its all been tried. When you do things like that, you have to accept the possibility that shit can and will happen.

Fitz told be he can get 2 to 3 weekends out of a prop and the boat slows 2-3 MPH and loses some acceleration. Take the prop off, bang some pitch back in it, stand the blade back up, and accept the fact that when does it again, the props finished.

So when I see a SS shear a prop or snap a shaft, I don't give it second thought. Its not the same a GN, K or PS doing it. Its self induced, and its accepted fact. its pushing the limits of the part, and it doesn't matter if its a Grose 4340 prop, or if God himself made it. Its being pushed beyond its design limits. I don't give a shit if its forged, welded, or fell from the sky like manna from heaven. It can only take so much of you want to push the design limits.
    Its like running flat tappet cams with beyond stupid ramps and roller springs. Shit isn't going to last too long.

The shit going on in GN with the engines is the same thing. Its beyond stupid. Bless the 44 boat, because they aren't playing the time bomb game. Although they may have taken the prop thing a little too far last year.
    Last edited by gn7; 04-09-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Not always the case. I in the case of the top SS guys and the 44s props, it do to pushing the limits of the props "design" for lack of better term. Just like the SS prop shafts.

I looked at the 44 prop at the Thanksgiving race 2012, and it look like a prop that I MIGHT consider running in a kilo, but not a race. it was so thin it looked like I break the ends of the ears off by hand. The SS props are worse. Its all in the search for speed. The 44 prop was probably pushed a little too far. I think they were hopeing that between the material and heat treat, plus the secondary treatments it would work. Well, material and treatments can get you only so far. I think sure they backed off that a little and the blade is a wee bit thicker. In the case of the SS guys, they can only give up so much to make the prop live.
    Its like the shaft that failed Long Beach. That is the second shaft I witnessed the 80 boat fail in the time its ran, and the other was at Long Beach too. Probably has a little to do with the rougher water. But when you START with a 7/8 prop shaft, you have to accept that it can happen. Same with thinning the shit out of the blade. Sooner or later you are going to pay the price. 7/8 shaft CAN be only part of it. Has ANY body ever gun drilled one. Tapered or double tapered one? Hour glassed one? Reduced the diameter below 7/8 between the coupler and strut? Ti shaft? Its all been tried. When you do things like that, you have to accept the possibility that shit can and will happen.

Fitz told be he can get 2 to 3 weekends out of a prop and the boat slows 2-3 MPH and loses some acceleration. Take the prop off, bang some pitch back in it, stand the blade back up, and accept the fact that when does it again, the props finished.

So when I see a SS shear a prop or snap a shaft, I don't give it second thought. Its not the same a GN, K or PS doing it. Its self induced, and its accepted fact. its pushing the limits of the part, and it doesn't matter if its a Grose 4340 prop, or if God himself made it. Its being pushed beyond its design limits. I don't give a shit if its forged, welded, or fell from the sky like manna from heaven. It can only take so much of you want to push the design limits.
    Its like running flat tappet cams with beyond stupid ramps and roller springs. Shit isn't going to last too long.

The shit going on in GN with the engines is the same thing. Its beyond stupid. Bless the 44 boat, because they aren't playing the time bomb game. Although they may have taken the prop thing a little too far last year.
    well said ....
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by SFV2RVR View Post
    Sorry but GN7 is WRONG on the welded ear portion about Grose props! Forged one piece props are far stronger than a prop that has welded ears. I'm not saying a Grose prop has never cracked, but it's proven to be stronger than the standard Radiance or menkins.
    You seem pretty confident of that. You ever talk to Ron about a having a prop made. Any idea the cost of having a forging die made. How many props do you have to make to recover the cost of the tooling? Think about it before you go high fiving yourself.
    Maybe things are EXACTLY what you thing they are.

You seem pretty confident of that. You ever talk to Ron about a having a prop made. Any idea the cost of having a forging die made. How many props do you have to make to recover the cost of the tooling? Think about it before you go high fiving yourself.
    Maybe things are EXACTLY what you thing they are.
    I'm very confident in fact! I have one of Ron's props on my Schiada. The box of forgings I posted a picture of cost about 150k. Selling the 4340 props even for $2800 is still gonna take a while before you re-coop all your money.

I'm very confident in fact! I have one of Ron's props on my Schiada. The box of forgings I posted a picture of cost about 150k. Selling the 4340 props even for $2800 is still gonna take a while before you re-coop all your money.
    Cool, can I borrow it?
    Things may have changed in the couple years since I talked to Ron about a prop. But at the time he couldn't make a prop from a forging, and certainly not from that fucking box of blanks you posted to show how fucking full of shit I am. You can recover the money fairly quick if you make enough props, and he does make more than a few. But you do have to make a few.
    Let me ask you, are you using your fucking head when you make these posts? You think there may a teenie tiny difference between a prop for you Schiada and my boat that you are not going to fix in a fucking CNC machine

Think about.
    Last edited by gn7; 04-10-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    I don't understand your question here. I know it's not directed at me, but I am trying to understand what your asking.
    Could you CNC me a prop from that box of blanks?
    I spent a little more time looking into a Grose prop years ago than some think. I not all that easy for some of use to get a forged prop as some believe. At least it was when I talked to Ron. But he was very interested on getting into the game.

Maybe some people are way more connected than I am, and can pull a magic blank out of their ass.

Cool, can I borrow it?
    Things may have changed in the couple years since I talked to Ron about a prop. But at the time he couldn't make a prop from a forging, and certainly not from that fucking box of blanks you posted to show how fucking full of shit I am. You can recover the money fairly quick if you make enough props, and he does make more than a few. But you do have to make a few.
    Let me ask you, are you using your fucking head when you make these posts? You think there may a teenie tiny difference between a prop for you Schiada and my boat that you are not going to fix in a fucking CNC machine

Think about.
    Are you using your fucking head when you post? The box of forgings is what Ron makes his props out of! I'm pretty sure your GN boat and my Schiada wouldn't be to far off in prop designs, so I'm not sure what your saying?

Are you using your fucking head when you post? The box of forgings is what Ron makes his props out of! I'm pretty sure your GN boat and my Schiada wouldn't be to far off in prop designs, so I'm not sure what your saying?
    Really??

Really??
    Ya really!

This thread delivers